ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 31
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target
Direckshun 01:43 PM 03-12-2023
Didn’t see it posted.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023...laremy-tunsil/

ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target

Could the Kansas City Chiefs go back to the trade market to find their left tackle of the future? One ESPN insider is watching a particular player closely if that’s the case.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano recently helped compile some last-minute free agency and trade buzz with the NFL’s legal tampering period kicking off at noon tomorrow. He mentioned that Houston Texans LT Laremy Tunsil could be a trade target for Kansas City if they’re unable to get a long-term deal done with Orlando Brown Jr. ahead of Monday.

Check it out:

Originally Posted by :
“One potential trade target I’m watching is Houston left tackle Laremy Tunsil. The Texans have resisted trading him in recent years, but he has just one year and a nonguaranteed $18.5 million left on his contract and could be a target of the Chiefs if they aren’t able to bring back Orlando Brown Jr.”
What would need to happen for a trade to materialize?

First, Houston would need to decide that they did not want to pay Tunsil a long-term contract extension. That would be a bold move considering they’re expected to draft a rookie quarterback and nothing is better for a rookie quarterback than an established left tackle.

Second, the two sides would have to agree on trade compensation. Would the Chiefs really be willing to potentially give up a first-round draft pick in 2023 (and potentially more) for Tunsil when they’re hosting the draft in Kansas City?

Next up, the Chiefs and Tunsil’s representation would need to first agree to a contract extension that would lower his 2023 salary cap hit. Right now, his cap hit would put the team over the cap.

Finally, Kansas City must view Tunsil as their “long-term solution” at left tackle. Will they envision him as such when he’ll be 29 years old in Week 1 of 2023? There is certainly nothing wrong with his ability — in three of the past four seasons, he’s been among PFF’s highest-graded pass-blocking offensive tackles. They should have no problem paying for that production, but would it be for more than one contract? It’s hard to say. When you draft a rookie in the first round, you get five years of control (fifth-year option), plus a likely sixth year of control through the franchise tag. Then you have the potential of re-signing that player to a long-term deal afterward.

There are certainly benefits to trading for Tunsil, but given what we’re hearing about what the Chiefs want out of the left tackle position this offseason, a trade might not be the route they take.
[Reply]
Balto 10:23 AM 03-13-2023
If Tunsil doesn't agree to restructure that means Houston will have $35,210,834 Cap hit! There is just no way they do that.

Tunsil just has to say NO I won't extend this season and he will get traded.

I think this trade would be fair for both teams:

Houston gets:
#31-Get back into the 1st for that 5th year option
2024 1st
CEH, if they want him

Chiefs get:
Tunsil

Texans can go:
#2: QB
#12: D/OL
#31: D/OL
[Reply]
TEX 10:26 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
They're 100% drafting a QB at 2 even if they sign Jimmy G.

I think Jimmy G is going to be a Raider though.
Not too sure...They are talking about trading back, getting more picks, and using them to go all in for Caleb Williams next year. Could just be smoke though, its tat time of year.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:28 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by wazu:
Maybe Texans aren't planning on a rookie QB.

Gosh I wonder what tree mcdaniels and caserio are from.
[Reply]
notorious 10:30 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Gosh I wonder what tree mcdaniels and caserio are from.
No kidding. :-)
[Reply]
O.city 10:30 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
You're twisting yourself in knots to believe this into existence.
I've said since the beginning it would have to be a Tony G type, "I don't wanna go thru a rebuild or I won't sign a LTD here" kinda thing.

If they were gonna trade him they shoulda done it last year anyway so it's unlikely to happen at this point anyway.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 10:35 AM 03-13-2023
I just think having an elite LT is so important. Especially in this offense with this QB.

I would pay QB, I would pay Tackles and I would pay Pass Rushers, (maybe a really elite corner too) everyone else is expendable and replaceable through cheap free agents or draft picks.
[Reply]
KSCHIEF 10:39 AM 03-13-2023
If I'm the Texans wouldn't the '24 pick be potentially more valuable than '23? This draft is pretty meh and Texans have 3 of the top 33 picks anyway. I think the obvious trade is...

Chiefs give 2nd round 2023, 1st round 2024

Texans give Tunsil

All predicated on whether they even entertain trading him, but this one seems more likely to me if they are open for business. It still lets the Chiefs draft at #31 in front of the home fans too (if that's actually important to Clark).
[Reply]
saphojunkie 10:41 AM 03-13-2023
$35M cap hit for one year and then you have to franchise tag him. There's absolutely a world where Houston trades him away and goes full rebuild. Having three first round picks this year alone would be quite the splash. They are bereft of talent. That's not a situation where you want $35M to go towards one player who doesn't touch the ball.

And the reason why you want the #31 pick is that it's the last one with a fifth year option.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 10:43 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by KSCHIEF:
If I'm the Texans wouldn't the '24 pick be potentially more valuable than '23? This draft is pretty meh and Texans have 3 of the top 33 picks anyway. I think the obvious trade is...

Texans give Tunsil

All predicated on whether they even entertain trading him, but this one seems more likely to me if they are open for business. It still lets the Chiefs draft at #31 in front of the home fans too (if that's actually important to Clark).
You know what's sexier than having a first round pick in front of a home crowd?

A fifth straight AFC Championship in front of a home crowd.
[Reply]
penguinz 10:46 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by KSCHIEF:

Texans give Tunsil

Clark has stated in interviews that he has no issues trading out of the 1st round if it improves the team.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:58 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
You know what's sexier than having a first round pick in front of a home crowd?

A fifth straight AFC Championship in front of a home crowd.
How are these two things related?
[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:04 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
How are these two things related?
Science.
[Reply]
tredadda 11:06 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Science.
Perhaps. I wasn't very good in science which is why I had questions.
[Reply]
KSCHIEF 11:09 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Clark has stated in interviews that he has no issues trading out of the 1st round if it improves the team.
I know, but it also gets brought up often about the draft in KC and the comment/joke made by Veach long ago that Clark said he couldn't trade the 1st round pick.

Honestly if I'm the Texans I might want the 2nd in '23 and the 1st in '24. Or at least it would be on the table as an option. If I'm building the Texans I would give a lot of consideration to the following type of rebuild:

- Sign a Jimmy G type QB to a 2-3 year deal that I can get out of in 2 years...
- Trade back from #2 to #3-#7 depending on who wants to come up for a QB.
- Trade Tunsil for #2nd rounder this year + 1st next year.

Start building the roster this year with young talent and roll into '24 draft with my pick + browns + KC to target Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. Both of those guys would be consensus QB#1 in this draft...
[Reply]
scho63 11:11 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
And the reason why you want the #31 pick is that it's the last one with a fifth year option.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 16 of 31
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up