ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 21
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Florio: Mahomes to be the highest paid QB in football again soon
Hammock Parties 10:30 AM 05-09-2023

Expect Patrick Mahomes to once again be the highest-paid player in football on an APY basis, before Week One. https://t.co/k2dDcjahE8

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) May 9, 2023

Originally Posted by :
When Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes signed his current 12-year contract three years ago, he nudged the bar for the highest average per year (APY) by roughly $10 million, to $45 million annually.

Now, with Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson at $52 million per year, Mahomes has fallen $7 million per year behind the highest-paid player in the sport.

Chiefs G.M. Brett Veach already has vowed to address the Mahomes deal after more quarterback contracts are completed. While Veach didn’t delve into any specifics, here’s what reasonably should be expected, based on our conversations with folks aware of the dynamics of the situation.

Expect Mahomes, before the season begins, to once again be the highest-paid player in league history.

The details will be interesting, and subject to differing interpretations. Because Mahomes has nine years left on his current contract, a new-money APY in excess of $52 million per year would be obtained simply by tacking three years and a penny more than $156 million on the back end of the existing deal.

The real question will become the value of the contract from the moment it’s signed. Also relevant to the analysis will be the full guarantee at signing, and the cash flow in the first three years of the revised deal.

In 2020, Mahomes swapped a high APY and a complicated but lucrative guarantee structure for cash flow in the years that were most likely to be affected by the pandemic. Now that those days have come and gone, the cash flow can be boosted in the early years of a revised deal.

Whether big-picture proclamations or devilish details, a new deal is coming for Mahomes, sooner than later. He has more than earned it — and with each new quarterback deal that is done, his own situation becomes more glaring. Look for that to at least be partially rectified in the coming weeks or months.

Ultimately, Mahomes is trying to strike the balance of fair compensation with leaving enough cash behind to have a team that lets him pursue championships and, ultimately, to chase Tom Brady’s all-time record of seven championships. Mahomes needs five to tie, six to win.

While not yet a real threat to Brady, Mahomes isn’t far from making things interesting. And that could be enough to get Brady interested in trying to get to No. 8 before it’s all said and done, just in case.

[Reply]
ptlyon 07:50 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
When Andy retires, When Kelce retires..... thats when Mahomes will need to reinvent himself.
Not. Even. Close.

Pat has that entire playbook in his head. And as far as Kelce goes, he'll just have another player to throw to. See also: Tyreek Hill
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:12 AM 05-26-2023
Without saying it, Florio got reeeeally sick of the Patriots reign, and he's deathly afraid it's about to happen again with Mahomes.

He should be afraid. Let him whine. His whining only makes us stronger.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:14 AM 05-26-2023
If Florio really wants to bitch, where is Kelce in terms of the highest paid TEs?

Kelce has been giving us a discount on his contract his entire damn career. Shouldn't Florio care more about the little guy TEs who aren't getting paid diddle squat compared to all the overrated Daniel Jones fucks who are only getting that money because "it's their turn"
[Reply]
raybec 4 09:56 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
As long as Hunt spends every dollar of the cap, I cant see Mahomes bitching about being the 9th highest paid player.

When Andy retires, When Kelce retires..... thats when Mahomes will need to reinvent himself.
Why would he possibly need to reinvent himself? He's one of the best to ever do it. That's not going to go away when Andy isn't calling the plays anymore.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:22 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
If Florio really wants to bitch, where is Kelce in terms of the highest paid TEs?

Kelce has been giving us a discount on his contract his entire damn career. Shouldn't Florio care more about the little guy TEs who aren't getting paid diddle squat compared to all the overrated Daniel Jones ****s who are only getting that money because "it's their turn"
Kelce knows his post-NFL acting career will be much easier if he wins more Super Bowls.

It’s like Mahomes and endorsements. He’s fat and away the highest paid when you factor in the $20+mm a year he makes being the greatest. Florio knows that as long as Mahomes is doing this the Chiefs have a competitive advantage that others won’t be able to touch.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:32 PM 05-31-2023
Okay mark me down as a Howie Roseman fan. Put that bitch in his place Howie!

Watching Florio get bodied never gets oldpic.twitter.com/cJZGf6CP9F

— Derek Brown (@DBro_FFB) June 1, 2023

[Reply]
comochiefsfan 09:36 PM 05-31-2023
I’m still confused about who this Mike Florio is?

This can’t be the same Mike Florio that was slandering Tyreek Hill several years ago.

That Mike Florio swore he would quit covering the NFL if Tyreek was allowed to remain in the league.

I’m sure that guy is a man of his word and since Tyreek remains employed by the NFL he stepped away from covering the NFL.

So this must be a different Mike Florio? Kind of confusing.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:52 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Wow. That guy should quit covering football because if he's that rude to people, eventually he's never going to get interviews.

Also, he should quit covering football after getting schooled on his racist diatribes against Tyreek.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:06 AM 06-01-2023
The media seems to be getting “bored” with the HulkaMania version of Mahomes are desperately want to invent the NWO version.

They really are trying to find anything they can use to let some air out of tires.
[Reply]
AussieChiefsFan 01:12 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Imagine treating your interviewees like this. What a clown.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 02:37 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by wazu:
I found that interesting as well. Hadn't thought about that peer pressure, which might actually matter somewhat to him. All that said, the other QBs are landing huge deals, so it doesn't seem like anybody is being held back.
I think the reason Mahomes is intent on not hurting other QBs is that so many of those QBs are black. I believe there will be more starting black QBs than in any other time in league history, or very close to it.

Mahomes has said that he is aware of the history of the black QBs in the NFL. He was front and center in the players response to George Floyd, meaning he has an eye on social and racial issues. And every SB interview this year included a question about it being the first SB with 2 black starting QBs, keeping his importance to the legacy of the black QB fresh in his mind.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 05:12 AM 06-01-2023
It’s going to be hilarious if Mahomes doesn’t push for a new deal so we can afford to sign D-Hop. I will enjoy Florio’s tears so much if it happens.
[Reply]
Coogs 05:34 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
I think the reason Mahomes is intent on not hurting other QBs is that so many of those QBs are black. I believe there will be more starting black QBs than in any other time in league history, or very close to it.

Mahomes has said that he is aware of the history of the black QBs in the NFL. He was front and center in the players response to George Floyd, meaning he has an eye on social and racial issues. And every SB interview this year included a question about it being the first SB with 2 black starting QBs, keeping his importance to the legacy of the black QB fresh in his mind.
You do realize his mom is white don't you?
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:02 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:

Or, you know, it's just the right thing to do and he's a good person...I kinda doubt it's all about race. But whatever.
[Reply]
493rd 06:09 AM 06-01-2023
I don’t like Florio, but he’s doing his job asking tough questions. If only more of the press did ��
[Reply]
Page 16 of 21
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Up