ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 158 of 297
« First < 58108148154155156157158 159160161162168208258 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***The Official EMAW Repository thread***
Saulbadguy 11:54 AM 11-15-2009
I know there are enough of us to participate in this thread, even when our seasons inevitably go to shit.

KSU vs Western Illinois today, tip-off at 3:00 pm.

One thing I noticed near the end of the game on Friday night - we had 5 true freshman on the court, and still played sound basketball. None of them were scrub walk-ons either. While I don't think we will make a serious run at anything this year, the foundation is being laid for a solid program in the future.
[Reply]
kstater 02:53 PM 03-07-2010
MANHATTAN, Kan. - Kansas State Director of Athletics John Currie announced Sunday that men's basketball coach Frank Martin has agreed to a new multi-year contract, securing the services of the head coach through the 2014-15 season.

The contract, which was approved by the K-State Athletics, Inc., Board of Directors and President Kirk Schulz, includes average annual compensation for the 2010-11 through 2014-15 years of $1.55 million (base salary plus retention bonuses).

"Coach Martin is a tremendous fit for Kansas State," Currie said. "With this contract in place, Coach Martin has made a long-term commitment to K-State and K-State has made a long-term commitment to him. We are confident that under his leadership K-State basketball will continue to elevate its national presence."

The contract also includes significant performance incentives that could reward Martin up to an additional 32-percent of his base salary for each contract year. In addition, he will earn $25,000 if selected by the Big 12 Conference as the men's basketball coach of the year and $50,000 if honored as National Coach of the Year by the National Basketball Coaches Association and/or Associated Press.

There are also incentives that could reward Martin up to an additional $100,000 annually for APR and graduation rate achievements. The retention incentive components of the contract call for a $250,000 payment if Martin remains as coach through the 2011-12 season, and an additional $500,000 payment if he remains the head coach of the Wildcats through the 2014-15 season.

"I am extremely grateful to Dr. Kirk Schulz and John Currie for their commitment to my staff and me as we continue to lead the basketball program here at K-State," Martin said. "We, along with our families, are blessed to be a part of this university, the Manhattan community and to have such loyal and wonderful fans."

Coach Martin also will receive a $462,800 signing bonus for signing the contract by March 8, 2010. Half the signing bonus would be forfeited if he left K-State prior to the beginning of the 2010-2011 season.

"As I watched and evaluated our basketball team and staff since my arrival last June, it became evident that Coach Martin has transformed our program in many ways," Currie said. "Not only has he put a championship-level product on the court, but he has put a strong emphasis on the improvement of the team's APR and sustainment of a high graduation rate of our student-athletes. He and Anya have created a family atmosphere for the program and have been terrific in promoting the overall goals of the department and university."

Under terms of the new contract, Martin will be paid a base salary of $1.2 million in the 2010-11 contract year, $1.3 million in 2011-12, $1.4 million in 2012-13, $1.5 million in 2013-14 and $1.6 million in 2014-15.

"Coach Martin and our men's basketball program have provided our University tremendous national exposure this season and we are grateful for his leadership and representation of Kansas State University," added Schulz, who recently announced a proposed university goal for Kansas State University to be recognized nationally as a top 50 public research university. "Those who support Kansas State want to invest in a university they perceive as moving upward to new heights of achievement in academic and athletic endeavors. We appreciate Coach Martin's commitment to the success of our student-athletes."

The contract requires K-State to pay Martin the lesser of $4 million or his remaining base salary if he is dismissed without cause over the lifetime of the contract.

Martin would owe Kansas State $2 million if he leaves his position following this season. This amount thereafter decreases to $1 million through April 15, 2012, $750,000 through May 14, 2013 and $500,000 through May 14, 2014.

The 43-year-old Martin is in his third season at the helm of the K-State program and continues to build on an already sound foundation.

Named today the Big 12 Coach of the Year by both the Associated Press and the league's coaches, Martin has K-State off to its best start since the 1958-59 season, while the current 24 victories and 11 conference wins are the most for the Wildcats in the Big 12 era and most since the 1987-88 squad won a school-record 25 games. The team earned its first Top 5 ranking in nearly 50 years last Monday when it rose to No. 5 in each poll. It marked the fifth straight Top 10 ranking this season, including the fourth in both major polls. He has guided the school to four wins over Top 25 teams, which is the most-ever by K-State in a regular season, including just its third-ever over a No. 1 team and first since 1994 with its 71-62 victory over Texas on Jan. 18.

Martin has posted a 67-30 (.691) record in his third season, which includes a 30-18 (.625) mark in Big 12 play. He now has the most wins by a head coach in his first three seasons, surpassing Lon Kruger, while the win over Colorado on Feb. 13 made him the first K-State head coach to have three 20-win seasons to start a career.

The academic performance of K-State's student-athletes has also dramatically improved under Coach Martin's leadership. The program's four-year men's basketball graduate rate of 75% is the highest in the Big 12, and the team's most recent APR score was the second-highest ever at .959.

[Reply]
alnorth 02:56 PM 03-07-2010
holy crap, a $2 million buyout if he leaves after this year? (dropping to a still-huge $1 million after the next 2 seasons are done)

Is that some kind of record? They arent messing around, you gotta pay a ton to get Frank out of Manhattan.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:23 PM 03-07-2010
Hey Cat fans, congrats on locking up Martin. That's a big deal. When he beats KU, I will probably cuss it, but it is a good move for KSU.

I was actually pulling for the cats yesterday. It was good for the conference to have 2 top 5 teams. And not one of them was a big money south team. (I'm looking at you UT and T-Boone-U)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:44 PM 03-07-2010
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/variou...New-Deal-99439
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 09:10 PM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
you can't watch that and not believe this is a guy who will be here for a long time.
[Reply]
58kcfan89 10:09 PM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
you can't watch that and not believe this is a guy who will be here for a long time.
This. It's something that a lot of "outsiders" don't get, that Manhattan is a great place to live with great people to be around and that all you have to do its give it a chance.

I'm not a big fan of Wefald (as it relates to athletics) or Krause, but Frank is one thing that they nailed. How they went about it may have not been the best, but the important thing is that they got it done, I guess...
[Reply]
Dante84 11:25 PM 03-07-2010
Wow.
[Reply]
KCFalcon59 11:37 PM 03-07-2010
Very cool.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:42 AM 03-08-2010
Frank's an emotional person. After having his name and reputation dragged through the mud I imagine a lot of that emotion may have been a feeling a vindication.

Never say never though. The right offer and he would go.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:36 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Frank's an emotional person. After having his name and reputation dragged through the mud I imagine a lot of that emotion may have been a feeling a vindication.

Never say never though. The right offer and he would go.
That was a good video. As I said, good for Frank. He definitely deserves it.

But I must be missing something. Where did his name get dragged through the mud? Was it something at Miami? Being associated with Thuggy Bear, people thinking he couldn't coach?

Honest question. I really don't know what you're referring to.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 08:53 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
That was a good video. As I said, good for Frank. He definitely deserves it.

But I must be missing something. Where did his name get dragged through the mud? Was it something at Miami? Being associated with Thuggy Bear, people thinking he couldn't coach?

Honest question. I really don't know what you're referring to.
"High School Coach" - Even though he was a coach an Ass't coach at Northeastern University/Cinci/KSU for 7 years prior to getting the nod in order to keep the (almost) GRCOAT.

"No ethics" - recruited players to his HS teams - BFD. It happens in every HS in the area. Martin was cleared of any wrong doing, but was terminated.

Hatchet job articles by Whitlock and numerous others claiming Frank as some evil doer. It's not hard to find them.

And of course the tards here who blindly follow the sheep, bleating the same talking points and hoping against hope that they were true until this year.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:56 AM 03-08-2010
"High School Coach" - Even though he was a coach an Ass't coach at Northeastern University/Cinci/KSU for 7 years prior to getting the nod in order to keep the (almost) GRCOAT.

"No ethics" - recruited players to his HS teams - BFD. It happens in every HS in the area. Martin was cleared of any wrong doing, but was terminated.

Hatchet job articles by Whitlock and numerous others claiming Frank as some evil doer. It's not hard to find them.

And of course the tards here who blindly follow the sheep, bleating the same talking points and hoping against hope that they were true until this year.
I see. Honestly I haven't paid much attention to it. Thanks.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:58 AM 03-08-2010
So he recruited players to his high school team? Like you said, big fucking deal. Local high schools do that shit.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:14 AM 03-08-2010

Posnaski wrote a hatchet piece right after he was hired. He has never apologized - even when proven wrong. What a fkn douche that guy is. Beyond his baseball articles, he's a hack.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:16 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
Posnaski wrote a hatchet piece right after he was hired. He has never apologized - even when proven wrong. What a fkn douche that guy is. Beyond his baseball articles, he's a hack.

Well you are talking about the KC Media, there isnt anyone up there that arent hacks...
[Reply]
Page 158 of 297
« First < 58108148154155156157158 159160161162168208258 > Last »
Up