ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 150 of 163
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread
TripleThreat 05:48 PM 11-09-2022

YOUNG AMERICANS
The USMNT was by far the youngest team to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, garnering valuable experience going through the rigors of World Cup qualifying. Through 14 qualifiers, the USA Starting XI came in at an average of 23.82, almost two years younger than the next closest team, Ghana at 25.67. Together, the other 31 participating teams averaged a Starting XI age of 27.5 through qualifying, nearly four full years older than the U.S. Sources say this is one of the youngest, but most talented teams the U.S. has ever fielded. While they may not win the world cup this year, they may garner the experience needed to make a serious run on home soil in the year 2026 when the World Cup comes back to North America.

2022 USA World Cup Roster

FORWARDS
Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas)
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders)
Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund)
Josh Sargent (Norwich City)
Timothy Weah (Lille)
Haji Wright (Antalyaspor)

MIDFIELDERS
Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United)
Kellyn Acosta (LAFC)
Tyler Adams (Leeds United)
Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo)
Weston McKennie (Juventus)
Yunus Musah (Valencia)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders)

DEFENDERS
Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic)
Sergiño Dest (AC Milan)
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls)
Shaq Moore (Nashville SC)
Tim Ream (Fulham)
Antonee Robinson (Fulham)
Joe Scally (Borussia Monchengladbach)
DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami)
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)

GOALKEEPERS
Ethan Horvath (Luton Town)
Sean Johnson (NYCFC)
Matt Turner (Arsenal)
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 02:53 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
If we can get this Argentina vs an in form France team in the final it would be so fun to watch. I’ll still be rooting for Morocco tomorrow, but a Morocco vs Croatia match Saturday and a France vs Argentina final on Sunday would make for a great final weekend!
Yeah, I expect France to be favored over Argentina. They just have more experience, depth, and quality throughout the lineup. Plus, a big height advantage on set pieces.

Messi is a difference maker but so is Mbappe. Argentina haven't faced anyone like him yet.
[Reply]
Hark Clunt 03:00 PM 12-13-2022
no disrespect to morroco, but i've seen enough of them tbh. i'd much rather have a messi-mbappe final.
[Reply]
TripleThreat 03:05 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by Hark Clunt:
no disrespect to morroco, but i've seen enough of them tbh. i'd much rather have a messi-mbappe final.
I don't think their gimmick is going to last against France. Then again, France dropped a game to Tunisia, so who knows.
[Reply]
Eleazar 03:14 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
I don't think their gimmick is going to last against France. Then again, France dropped a game to Tunisia, so who knows.
What is their "gimmick"? They've won 5 out of 6 matches and are undefeated in the tournament. They've put out 3 teams that most people would have considered contenders. Getting to the semifinal isn't a fluke.
[Reply]
Hark Clunt 03:18 PM 12-13-2022
i guess it's not a "fluke" per se but they are very defensive and have been behind on xG in most (all?) of their matches. not that stats tell the whole story, but i doubt they could replicate getting to the semis too many times if you could somehow run a world cup like 100 times.
[Reply]
penguinz 03:30 PM 12-13-2022
If we can get this Argentina vs an in form France team in the final it would be so fun to watch. I’ll still be rooting for Morocco tomorrow, but a Morocco vs Croatia match Saturday and a France vs Argentina final on Sunday would make for a great final weekend!
We want France to win so that the Ref team from the US is the best option for the game. He is from Morocco so he cannot ref them during WC.
[Reply]
carlos3652 04:33 PM 12-13-2022
I think the final will have the English ref.

Argentina played well vs Croatia - if they could have kept it 1-0 for most of the match they would have found the tie… Croatia was the king of coming from behind and going the distance. Argentina was too much.

Not taking out Romero when he is your only tall guy (like they did vs the Netherlands) made sure that they couldn’t have air superiority. That was probably the only mistake by the Argentina coach in the tourney… maybe his subs in the first game vs Saudi Arabia.

I’m putting the Arg / Netherlands behind - but just to clarify… Messi was hot because the red added 11 min to an affair that probably only needed 7. Shoot, there was 2 goals, 2 pk’s full subs, multiple var checks and England / France went 4-5 min I think lol

He was upset with VG prior to the game. Again, it boiled over. Messi is no stranger to red cards or scuffles. He’s not a little bitch and he doesn’t bitch about everything. Also, I’ve been noticing that some of the things I’m seeing in the press in English - the translations are really bad.

Every soccer player bitches. Messi doesn’t dive / tries to play the ball and he’s gained that respect from refs / pundits. We are truly seeing him at his best - and yes he’s 35 years old.

I can’t believe modric was 37.
[Reply]
penguinz 04:50 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
I think the final will have the English ref.

Argentina played well vs Croatia - if they could have kept it 1-0 for most of the match they would have found the tie… Croatia was the king of coming from behind and going the distance. Argentina was too much.

Not taking out Romero when he is your only tall guy (like they did vs the Netherlands) made sure that they couldn’t have air superiority. That was probably the only mistake by the Argentina coach in the tourney… maybe his subs in the first game vs Saudi Arabia.

I’m putting the Arg / Netherlands behind - but just to clarify… Messi was hot because the red added 11 min to an affair that probably only needed 7. Shoot, there was 2 goals, 2 pk’s full subs, multiple var checks and England / France went 4-5 min I think lol

He was upset with VG prior to the game. Again, it boiled over. Messi is no stranger to red cards or scuffles. He’s not a little bitch and he doesn’t bitch about everything. Also, I’ve been noticing that some of the things I’m seeing in the press in English - the translations are really bad.

Every soccer player bitches. Messi doesn’t dive / tries to play the ball and he’s gained that respect from refs / pundits. We are truly seeing him at his best - and yes he’s 35 years old.

I can’t believe modric was 37.
Taylor might but no way Oliver gets it.
[Reply]
TripleThreat 06:09 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
What is their "gimmick"? They've won 5 out of 6 matches and are undefeated in the tournament. They've put out 3 teams that most people would have considered contenders. Getting to the semifinal isn't a fluke.
Their gimmick is to play defense/tackle soccer. There's a reason they were outshot 2 to 1 against Spain, and only had 23% possession. Same against Portugal 26% possession. They had a few more shots in that game, but Portugal still out shot their team, and IMO Portugal was the inferior team to Spain which is why there were more chances vs Portugal.

When you're not even in the 30% of possession in games, but are winning by single scores, or PK's? It's cause you are playing a defensive/counter game. They aren't a good team, teams have just had issues scoring on them and Morocco has also seen a lot of luck in this tournament (See the chances portugal/spain had).
[Reply]
jettio 06:54 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
Was going to say the same thing. I'm giving it, but it's not the most obvious penalty in history.
It is a penalty because the attacker chipped the ball to a spot that he could have reached without being hindered by the GK. If his chip was clearly a shot at goal it might not be a penalty.
[Reply]
RollChiefsRoll 08:00 PM 12-13-2022
I’m really pulling for Messi to get this W. Seems like a great dude and absolutely the GOAT.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 08:18 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
Their gimmick is to play defense/tackle soccer. There's a reason they were outshot 2 to 1 against Spain, and only had 23% possession. Same against Portugal 26% possession. They had a few more shots in that game, but Portugal still out shot their team, and IMO Portugal was the inferior team to Spain which is why there were more chances vs Portugal.

When you're not even in the 30% of possession in games, but are winning by single scores, or PK's? It's cause you are playing a defensive/counter game. They aren't a good team, teams have just had issues scoring on them and Morocco has also seen a lot of luck in this tournament (See the chances portugal/spain had).
Good defense isn’t a gimmick in the knockout rounds. Portugal may have had more shots and possession, but they were by no means the better team. If Morocco can steal a goal on a good counter tomorrow they definitely have a good enough team to hold on for the win.
[Reply]
TripleThreat 08:47 PM 12-13-2022
Good defense isn’t a gimmick in the knockout rounds. Portugal may have had more shots and possession, but they were by no means the better team. If Morocco can steal a goal on a good counter tomorrow they definitely have a good enough team to hold on for the win.
We aren’t arguing if they have a good enough team though….
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:29 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by jettio:
It is a penalty because the attacker chipped the ball to a spot that he could have reached without being hindered by the GK. If his chip was clearly a shot at goal it might not be a penalty.
I didn’t think it was clear the player could have played the ball again, so I’m not 100% sure he really denied a goal scoring opportunity.

I’d have given it, I just think there’s a little doubt there perhaps.
[Reply]
carlos3652 12:35 AM 12-14-2022
This PK years ago would also be a red card. Rules no longer allow this. The goalie committed an infraction and didn’t even touch the ball. He was the last man. This was an easy call for the ref. And VAR verified it.

Outside of the box, this is a straight red for the goalie.

I’m glad They didn’t call a hand ball on the deflection when it was next to his body (even though he used his arm to deflect on purpose) that would have been weak.
[Reply]
Page 150 of 163
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160 > Last »
Up