ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 31
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target
Direckshun 01:43 PM 03-12-2023
Didn’t see it posted.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023...laremy-tunsil/

ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target

Could the Kansas City Chiefs go back to the trade market to find their left tackle of the future? One ESPN insider is watching a particular player closely if that’s the case.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano recently helped compile some last-minute free agency and trade buzz with the NFL’s legal tampering period kicking off at noon tomorrow. He mentioned that Houston Texans LT Laremy Tunsil could be a trade target for Kansas City if they’re unable to get a long-term deal done with Orlando Brown Jr. ahead of Monday.

Check it out:

Originally Posted by :
“One potential trade target I’m watching is Houston left tackle Laremy Tunsil. The Texans have resisted trading him in recent years, but he has just one year and a nonguaranteed $18.5 million left on his contract and could be a target of the Chiefs if they aren’t able to bring back Orlando Brown Jr.”
What would need to happen for a trade to materialize?

First, Houston would need to decide that they did not want to pay Tunsil a long-term contract extension. That would be a bold move considering they’re expected to draft a rookie quarterback and nothing is better for a rookie quarterback than an established left tackle.

Second, the two sides would have to agree on trade compensation. Would the Chiefs really be willing to potentially give up a first-round draft pick in 2023 (and potentially more) for Tunsil when they’re hosting the draft in Kansas City?

Next up, the Chiefs and Tunsil’s representation would need to first agree to a contract extension that would lower his 2023 salary cap hit. Right now, his cap hit would put the team over the cap.

Finally, Kansas City must view Tunsil as their “long-term solution” at left tackle. Will they envision him as such when he’ll be 29 years old in Week 1 of 2023? There is certainly nothing wrong with his ability — in three of the past four seasons, he’s been among PFF’s highest-graded pass-blocking offensive tackles. They should have no problem paying for that production, but would it be for more than one contract? It’s hard to say. When you draft a rookie in the first round, you get five years of control (fifth-year option), plus a likely sixth year of control through the franchise tag. Then you have the potential of re-signing that player to a long-term deal afterward.

There are certainly benefits to trading for Tunsil, but given what we’re hearing about what the Chiefs want out of the left tackle position this offseason, a trade might not be the route they take.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:51 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
I just don't see that as something that will ever happen, the set up of the league won't really allow it. Thuney is about aged out, you need a RT and a LT etc.

I'd shoot for more "2 years and we'll see"
I think we really just need to keep Trey/Creed
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:52 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:
I agree. Tunsil is a genuinely elite player, brutally underrated due to being in Houston, with no red flags (like Ramsey with age). He isn't quite Trent Williams due to TW's super-elite run-blocking, but at the same time TW gets a lot of hype for being on a successful, winning team. It isn't Tunsil's fault he plays for a trainwreck offense and franchise. If he'd been in KC the past couple years, everyone and their dog would widely hype him up as the top 3 LT he is.

That's all why I still just don't see why Houston would do it. Especially drafting apparently a 5'10, 190lb QB in a few weeks. They're not cap stretched AFAIK. They're not JUST entering a rebuild, where it's time to sell off; they're in theory coming out of it in a year or so, with an exciting new HC, young QB and presumably adding more playmakers around him. In other words, the perfect situation for Tunsil to be there and play a huge part in all that.

It's an absolute slam-dunk no-brainer move if it's on the table. The position, the role in the offense, the money makes sense, and he's a genuinely elite player. He's not Orlando Brown. This would be such a W, but there's no way. I refuse to get my hopes up.
Exactly. The only way I see it happening would be Tunsil forcing his way out and I don't recall anything that would make me think that's going to happen.

Tunsil being a top end pass blocker is about the only positive thing to happen from the BoB moves of doom. They should cling onto it for dear life.
[Reply]
O.city 09:57 AM 03-13-2023
You'd need him to not want to sign a deal there. I also don't know that a rebuilding team needs to have a "highest paid player at his position" on their roster, but it's at LT so I would probably do it.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:02 AM 03-13-2023
You need pieces to help protect your rookie QB. Some weapons to throw to, a running game and a good blindside protector.

Even if they can't lock him in to a new long term deal, it's best to keep him one more year to protect the big investment at QB.
[Reply]
wazu 10:06 AM 03-13-2023
Maybe Texans aren't planning on a rookie QB.

The Raiders and Texans reportedly are "expected to pursue" Jimmy Garoppolo. The Jets could get in, too, if/when they ever find out about Aaron Rodgers. https://t.co/bGbCNpaEVa

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) March 13, 2023

[Reply]
staylor26 10:08 AM 03-13-2023
They're 100% drafting a QB at 2 even if they sign Jimmy G.

I think Jimmy G is going to be a Raider though.
[Reply]
O.city 10:09 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
You need pieces to help protect your rookie QB. Some weapons to throw to, a running game and a good blindside protector.

Even if they can't lock him in to a new long term deal, it's best to keep him one more year to protect the big investment at QB.
If you want to get max return, you'd trade him this offseason. I'd think it's either that or extend.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:10 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
They're 100% drafting a QB at 2 even if they sign Jimmy G.

I think Jimmy G is going to be a Raider though.
This.

Signing Jimmy G doesn't mean they aren't taking a QB at #2. Just means they don't expect him to start that first year.
[Reply]
O.city 10:12 AM 03-13-2023
Remember when Andy and Co got here. They tagged Albert, drafted Fisher.

Now, Tunsil is worlds better than ALbert obviously, but never underestimate "starting over".
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:13 AM 03-13-2023
If you want to get max return, you'd trade him this offseason. I'd think it's either that or extend.
I don't think you get it. Why should they give a shit about landing pick #31 when they have the next decade plus, the #2 overall pick and tens of millions riding on a QB they draft working out?
[Reply]
CupidStunt 10:16 AM 03-13-2023
Remember when Andy and Co got here. They tagged Albert, drafted Fisher.

Now, Tunsil is worlds better than ALbert obviously, but never underestimate "starting over".
They drafted Fisher because there was no QB.

Starting over might still be a possibility. They could draft LT at 12. Still very, very dumb IMO. Tunsil is THAT good. He isn't some fringe guy, like Albert was or OBJ. You keep guys like that IMO.
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I don't think you get it. Why should they give a shit about landing pick #31 when they have the next decade plus, the #2 overall pick and tens of millions riding on a QB they draft working out?
He's going into the last year of his deal. It would all come down to whether they think they can sign him or not.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:18 AM 03-13-2023
He's going into the last year of his deal. It would all come down to whether they think they can sign him or not.
You're twisting yourself in knots to believe this into existence.
[Reply]
TEX 10:21 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:
They drafted Fisher because there was no QB.

Starting over might still be a possibility. They could draft LT at 12. Still very, very dumb IMO. Tunsil is THAT good. He isn't some fringe guy, like Albert was or OBJ. You keep guys like that IMO.
And they will, to protect their new franchise QB that they get this year or next.
[Reply]
New World Order 10:22 AM 03-13-2023
So that's Mcdaniels' big move huh.

Jimmy G.

They'll be fighting Denver for table scraps this year
[Reply]
Page 15 of 31
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up