ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 22
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you take your hat off at the dinner table?
petegz28 09:11 PM 07-31-2021
It never ceases to amaze me when I go to a fairly nice or better restaurant to see guys wearing their hats at the table. I am not talking about some dude at lunch at McDonald's. I'm talking about a nice steak house or likewise having dinner with the family.

When I was growing up I was taught to take my hat off in the house but if I ever sat at the table with it on it would have been removed for me.

And if I tried to walk into my Grandmother's house, especially the kitchen, the hat was removed for me without me being asked to take it off.

Do you take your hat off at the table?
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:37 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
So I can't wear a hat in my own home eating a casual dinner because of Medieval European knights?

yeah, ok
You need to work on your reading comprehension.
You surely would not be disrespectful to yourself in your own home. :-)
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:39 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Why do we want to recreate that bullshit here in the US.
It would not be recreating. We should keep the best parts of that society and fold them into our own. People dressing nicer and being more gentlemen-like would be a great thing.
It is definitely better than wearing your pants where the waste is below your ass cheeks.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:40 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Who said you can't wear a hat at your own dinner table?
Lack of brainpower to have reading comprehension.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:42 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
It would not be recreating. We should keep the best parts of that society and fold them into our own. People dressing nicer and being more gentlemen-like would be a great thing.
It is definitely better than wearing your pants where the waste is below your ass cheeks.
Yep. My sons know it. Take your hat off, hold doors, pull out chairs, stand up when an elder enters the area. Little things that signify civility.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:46 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by Pablo:
And this one is simple for me. Are you wearing dress shoes and/or slacks out to dinner? No hat in that situation. Game on otherwise.
Thing is, people now wear jeans where you used to wear slacks.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 05:53 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Yep. My sons know it. Take your hat off, hold doors, pull out chairs, stand up when an elder enters the area. Little things that signify civility.
:-) GTFO

So if they are sitting when you enter the room, they stand to acknowledge your presence? GTFO
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:56 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Adults get on airplanes in pajamas.

People wear sweat pants and hoodies to church.

Adults wear flip flops into a nice restaurant.

Nothing amazes me anymore.

This country has turned to shit the last 25 years in human behaviour.
I'm all for casual, but that kind of comes with working in IT where people are behind the scenes.

Your last comment though... when I worked in restaurants 20+ years ago, I'd have to field questions from smokers like "why do you stick us in the back" and explain that non-smoking people would prefer not to walk through a smoking section in order to sit at their non-smoking table. Or walking through a jazz club that's in the basement of a restaurant, through the cloud of smoke when there were surely plenty of non-smoking people enjoying the music, too.

I would argue that kind of human behavior impacts the people around you far more than whether the person at the next table is wearing proper shoes or the person in the next aisle is wearing pajamas or is ready for a business meeting.

Humans haven't changed in a mere 25 years, just the rules that allow or restrict them to be oblivious unaware shitheads (not that I think wearing flip flops to a nice restaurant makes you a shithead).
[Reply]
petegz28 05:56 PM 08-01-2021
It's amazing what people consider dressing nice is these days. My best Harley t-shirt, cleanest pair of jeans and tennis shoes with the least dirt on them is the bar for many these days.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 05:59 PM 08-01-2021
It is so uncivilized when the waste is below the ass cheeks.
Probably because of lack of brainpower.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:59 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I'm all for casual, but that kind of comes with working in IT where people are behind the scenes.

Your last comment though... when I worked in restaurants 20+ years ago, I'd have to field questions from smokers like "why do you stick us in the back" and explain that non-smoking people would prefer not to walk through a smoking section in order to sit at their non-smoking table. Or walking through a jazz club that's in the basement of a restaurant, through the cloud of smoke when there were surely plenty of non-smoking people enjoying the music, too.

I would argue that kind of human behavior impacts the people around you far more than whether the person at the next table is wearing proper shoes or the person in the next aisle is wearing pajamas or is ready for a business meeting.

Humans haven't changed in a mere 25 years, just the rules that allow or restrict them to be oblivious unaware shitheads (not that I think wearing flip flops to a nice restaurant makes you a shithead).
I work in IT and work with people that wear jeans 5 days a week. I usually wear slacks and a collared shirt at least 3 days a week. On the days I wear jeans I still wear a collared shirt and I do not wear sneakers. I also shower and shave every day as well which I wish more would do. Especially the shower part.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 06:00 PM 08-01-2021
I work IT and most days I do not wear pants or a shirt
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:00 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
still nobody has told me why it is impolite to wear your hat at the table. People have said it is, people have been told it is. Nobody has ever said why it is.

And though this may seem like an age thing, I'm 54 and could not give less of a fuck if you wear your hat or not.
The primary purpose of hats, and head coverings in general, has traditionally been as outdoor garments to protect from the various elements. Wearing a hat inside could be viewed by a host/hostess as either their home or establishment is unworthy as “cover” or that you are in a hurry to leave their hospitality.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:00 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
:-) GTFO

So if they are sitting when you enter the room, they stand to acknowledge your presence? GTFO
If they’re seated at table and their grand parents enter, absolutely. They stand to welcome them until they are seated. It’s how it’s always been in my family. You find something wrong with that?
[Reply]
eDave 06:01 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I work in IT and work with people that wear jeans 5 days a week. I usually wear slacks and a collared shirt at least 3 days a week. On the days I wear jeans I still wear a collared shirt and I do not wear sneakers. I also shower and shave every day as well which I wish more would do. Especially the shower part.
Makes me feel better.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:02 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
If they’re seated at table and their grand parents enter, absolutely. They stand to welcome them until they are seated. It’s how it’s always been in my family. You find something wrong with that?
Same here.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 22
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Up