ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 18
« First < 51112131415 161718 >
Nzoner's Game Room>I'll say it; Mike Vrabel is a huge liability on this defense
steelyeyed57 06:11 PM 12-12-2010
He routinely fails to set the edge on outside contain. He routinely fails to get near the QB on his blitzes. He is routinely beaten in pass coverage. Today, in particular, he had crucial missed tackles.
I realize he has a lot of knowledge and leadership, but his dwindling athleticism is negating whatever intangibles he brings to the table.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:49 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by pr_capone:
I think he made it mang.

This was in '96

Harbaugh Takes 4-Year Deal
A year ago, JIM HARBAUGH was a reluctant backup quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts. Today, he's a millionaire with a four-year contract. Harbaugh had signed a one-year contract for $4.08 million early last month after the Colts designated him as their franchise player. Harbaugh's agent, LEIGH STEINBERG, said the new deal is worth $13 million over four years, including a $4 million signing bonus. "I want to be a Colt and the Colts showed me they want me to be a Colt," Harbaugh said yesterday at the team's training camp.

http://www.nytimes.com/keyword/jim-harbaugh

If he made 13m in 4 years, he more than likely got his 20
August 3, 1996
I think it's unlikely that he earned that contract because he was cut after year two and ended up in Baltimore with the Ravens.

I'd bet he's within $5 million of the $20 million limit but it must be noted that he worked as an unpaid coaching consultant for his father during his playing days and coaching was certainly his destiny.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:50 PM 12-15-2010
I still hope Harbaugh dies of rat AIDS for the 1995 playoff game.
[Reply]
Hootie 02:51 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I still hope Harbaugh dies of rat AIDS for the 1995 playoff game.
I just was looking at that box score the other day and wanted to throw up...
[Reply]
Hootie 02:52 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Again, you're missing the point.

What I've stated is that players that have earned enough money playing in the NFL (I used Vrabel & Trent Green's projected $50 million in earnings as a basis, then lowered it to $20 million in order to further prove the point) have never taken an NFL coaching job where they're paid less than 1/10 of their player salary and worked 80 hours a week as an assistant coach.

You're insisting that it "can" happen and I've stated (and proven) that it has never happened.

There is absolutely no basis, whatsoever, to believe that a man that has earned tens of millions playing in the NFL would subject his family to the rigors of being an assistant coach for money that is unnecessary for their well-being.
of course it has NEVER happened...

no one has ever had the chance yet
[Reply]
Hootie 02:53 PM 12-15-2010
lets wait 10 years and then see who's coaching in the NFL before we determine what millionaire NFL players do after the NFL
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:59 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by The Meat Dragon:
I just was looking at that box score the other day and wanted to throw up...
There was nothing quite like watching it live. That motherfucker avoided so many sacks. They had a 17 play drive where they scored their touchdown. It felt like there must have been 25 third down conversions on that drive alone. It was the most maddening march down the field I can remember.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:00 PM 12-15-2010
of course it has NEVER happened...

no one has ever had the chance yet
So, in the past 10 years, there hasn't been ONE player that's earned in excess of $20 million during his playing days?

Is that what you're claiming?
[Reply]
Hootie 03:01 PM 12-15-2010
There was nothing quite like watching it live. That mother****er avoided so many sacks. They had a 17 play drive where they scored their touchdown. It felt like there must have been 25 third down conversions on that drive alone. It was the most maddening march down the field I can remember.
Yeah I remember it a little...I was too young to remember specifics but I remember there being a popular picture people were passing around the next day of Lin Elliot pissing at a urinal and missing wide right.
[Reply]
Hootie 03:05 PM 12-15-2010
So, in the past 10 years, there hasn't been ONE player that's earned in excess of $20 million during his playing days?

Is that what you're claiming?
No I'm not claiming that...

I'm saying of course Tiki Barber and Strahan etc... aren't going to coach...

Superstars like that never became coaches...

I'm saying in 10-15 years we'll start seeing rich football players become coaches...

strangely enough McCloud some guys just love the game and want to be a part of it

you may not think the NBA is a good comparison but guys like Bird and Thomas coached for the $$$ and because they loved the game

If Trent Green could be a head coach in the NFL without putting in his dues than he might do it...who knows

the reason you don't see the Tiki's or the Trent's as coaches is because it's a long, drawn out process to reach the top

so yeah...

I agree and I disagree...

I disagree because we haven't been given a big enough pool of millionaires to know what the future coaches of the NFL are going to be...
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 03:07 PM 12-15-2010
There was nothing quite like watching it live. That mother****er avoided so many sacks. They had a 17 play drive where they scored their touchdown. It felt like there must have been 25 third down conversions on that drive alone. It was the most maddening march down the field I can remember.
That was the day that I finally realized Marty was a complete Fraud as a NFL head coach...

The pain of 1995 is still there... just makes me sick.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:09 PM 12-15-2010
1997 is the year that completely broke me.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:09 PM 12-15-2010
No I'm not claiming that...

I'm saying of course Tiki Barber and Strahan etc... aren't going to coach...

Superstars like that never became coaches...

I'm saying in 10-15 years we'll start seeing rich football players become coaches...

strangely enough McCloud some guys just love the game and want to be a part of it

you may not think the NBA is a good comparison but guys like Bird and Thomas coached for the $$$ and because they loved the game

If Trent Green could be a head coach in the NFL without putting in his dues than he might do it...who knows

the reason you don't see the Tiki's or the Trent's as coaches is because it's a long, drawn out process to reach the top

so yeah...

I agree and I disagree...

I disagree because we haven't been given a big enough pool of millionaires to know what the future coaches of the NFL are going to be...
Former NFL players that have earned in excess of $20 million can "love the game" without feeling the need to spend 80 hours a week dealing with the coaching grind, along with moving their families every few years (if not every year).

And no owner, unless he's completely mentally unstable, is going to turn over his franchise to a player that's never spent a day coaching.

Coaching isn't playing. It's just like with any aspect of life. Some people can be extremely talented at their given profession but have no tolerance and no ability to teach and/or coach.

It's not a given that a person can do well at their profession and in turn, teach others to be just as proficient (or even as close to proficient).
[Reply]
Hootie 03:12 PM 12-15-2010
Former players can "love the game" without feeling the need to spend 80 hours a week dealing with the coaching grind, along with moving their families every few years (if not every year).

And no owner, unless he's completely mentally unstable, is going to turn over his franchise to a player that's never spent a day coaching.

Coaching isn't playing. It's just like with any aspect of life. Some people can be extremely talented at their given profession but have no tolerance and no ability to teach and/or coach.

It's not a given that a person can do well at their profession and in turn, teach others to be just as proficient (or even as close to proficient).
that's my point

the reason why NBA players coach is because they can be the head guy right away and make the head guy $$$...

but that's still an 80+ hour work week over there...

you think Bird or Thomas needed the money? how about Byron Scott? Thomas was making plenty of money on TV before and after being a coach...

The NFL is trickier because you have to put in your time to get to the top...so if that's your point than I can agree...

although the pool of multi-millionaire football players is too small at this point to draw such a conclusion.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:16 PM 12-15-2010
that's my point

the reason why NBA players coach is because they can be the head guy right away and make the head guy $$$...

but that's still an 80+ hour work week over there...

you think Bird or Thomas needed the money? how about Byron Scott? Thomas was making plenty of money on TV before and after being a coach...
The topic was the NFL. Changing the subjects doesn't change the facts.

The NFL is trickier because you have to put in your time to get to the top...so if that's your point than I can agree...
It goes far beyond working to get to the "top".

Earning tens of millions of dollars affords people the luxury of never having to work again. Why would any man choose to abandon his family 80 hours per week and move them periodically (if not every year) to coach in the NFL? The answer is that he wouldn't.

If a retired player that earned $20 million during his playing days and has the itch to coach, it's likely that guy will coach his children in little league or be involved at the high school level, much like a Tim Grunhard.

The NFL coaching profession is a 365 day a year grind. If you're in an amazing financial position, why put yourself and your family through that?

although the pool of multi-millionaire football players is too small at this point to draw such a conclusion.
This is untrue. The salary cap was at $130 million or so when it expired. There are dozens of ex-players that earned in excess of $20 million from their playing days, certainly a large enough pool that if coaching was a passion, they'd have done it by now.
[Reply]
pr_capone 03:24 PM 12-15-2010
I think it's unlikely that he earned that contract because he was cut after year two and ended up in Baltimore with the Ravens.

I'd bet he's within $5 million of the $20 million limit but it must be noted that he worked as an unpaid coaching consultant for his father during his playing days and coaching was certainly his destiny.
So I'm curious. What is the difference between 15m and 20m to a guy like JH? If I had that many digits in my bank acct balance, I don't know that the extra 5m would make the difference between me taking a coaching job and not.

Then again, unless you are wanting to send me a check out of the kindness of your heart (how about a Christmas present for your old pal?), I'll likely never see more than 5-6 digits in my bank acct at any given time so I wouldn't know.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 18
« First < 51112131415 161718 >
Up