ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 147 of 727
« First < 4797137143144145146147 148149150151157197247647 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 08:53 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
The KC Star thinks Kansas City is a KU town. They also prove that K-State fans are younger, richer, better looking, and less bandwagon-y than both fanbases.

:-)

Good Ol Saul...
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 08:55 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
idk man

Ride some roller coasters or watch MattCasselScrambleCam.......hmmm
Well there is something called NFL Sunday Ticket...

There were a shit ton of good games on yesterday.

Had Chiefs on one TV, Game Mix on one and Redzone on another. Plus some good food and drinks.

Yeah that beat any roller coaster ride full of MU alumni on a Sunday afternoon.
[Reply]
Saul Good 09:11 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
If that's what you saw at Worlds of Fun, then it must be true. :-)
I know its a random example, but I live on JoCo, and 60% of the. College gear I see here is KU gear. It's striking to me that the gear 5 miles East of state line is 90% Mizzou.

My point is that its easy to think that KC is a KU town when you live west of state line. The truth is that the bulk of the population is east of state line, and thise people are overwhelmingly Mizzou fans.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:16 AM 10-03-2011
The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors announced adoption of a position to equally distribute all conference related distributable revenue to include Tier I and II football television, men's basketball television and NCAA men's basketball tournament revenues. This action becomes effective after each member institution commits a grant of rights to the Conference for its Tier I and II television rights for at least six years.

It is recognized by the Board that each member is directed by institutional policy relative to pursuing its grant of rights and that process will commence expeditiously at the institutional level.

The Board is encouraged by the number of institutions indicating interest in the Big 12, which reflects positively on the standing of the Conference within intercollegiate athletics. The Board also looks forward to considering the recommendation of the expansion committee regarding future membership options.
[Reply]
patteeu 09:19 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
I know its a random example, but I live on JoCo, and 60% of the. College gear I see here is KU gear. It's striking to me that the gear 5 miles East of state line is 90% Mizzou.

My point is that its easy to think that KC is a KU town when you live west of state line. The truth is that the bulk of the population is east of state line, and thise people are overwhelmingly Mizzou fans.
I live in the Northland. I see as much Nebraska gear as I see KU gear. Mizzou is by far the most prevalent as far as I can tell (although I don't hang out at gay bars, hog lots or tanning spas).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:21 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I live in the Northland. I see as much Nebraska gear as I see KU gear. Mizzou is by far the most prevalent as far as I can tell (although I don't hang out at gay bars, hog lots or tanning spas).
See, that's very odd.

CoMo has sworn to us all that he sees about 20% KU gear in Columbia so surely you're full of shit.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:22 AM 10-03-2011
The Missouri Compromise:

Originally Posted by :
Politics have never been a game I could easily play.
Compromise always seemed like giving up something that should not be given.
And perhaps that, at the core, is what is wrong with the Big 12 Conference as it is so comprised today with three teams gone and a fourth, Missouri, headed for a pivotal Board of Curators meeting on Tuesday.
That meeting looks more and more as if it could determine if the Tigers join secessionists Colorado, Nebraska and Texas A&M.
It seems the most popular course of action by many – perhaps most – Missouri fans if judging by the tsunami of emails and text messages flooding those who would make the decision on whether Missouri stays or goes (most likely it seems to the open arms of the Southeastern Conference).
But forcing myself to play the politician, here are the basic tenets of a plan that, borrowing from history, we’ll call the new Missouri Compromise.
It is based not on individual rights but on the tenet that we the people of the Big 12 Conference as so populated today would be served by a greater good if only:
1. Revenue sharing from this day forward is an equal proposition for all schools. No matter what teams appear on television how many more times than another, the payout is split equally to all on the major TV contracts existing or signed in the future for all games. This would eliminate any Tier 3 games shown only on networks established by individual schools. Any and all football games not picked up by the major TV partners of the conference would be made available on a Big 12 Network with games of only regional interest being offered in those regions. Monies – if any – from those broadcasts would still be shared with all conference members.
2. Any school desiring to have its own over the air or cable or Internet network could keep – after selection of men’s basketball games by Big 12 media partner networks – the rights to the rest of its men’s basketball games for telecast on any available outlet and keep all, if any, monies accrued from those telecasts. Further, telecast revenue of any other intercollegiate athletic event – including women’s basketball - would now and forever belong to the individual schools. Other content that might be considered to give an individual school an advantage – say in recruiting – over other conference members would be allowed or denied by a simple majority vote of all conference members.
3. The Big 12 Conference will expand, as soon as possible, to rebuild league membership to 12 schools, thus enabling the Big 12 to go back to divisional play in football and hold a league championship game.
4. The slotting of teams in Big 12 Conference-allied bowl games will be established by simple and hard and fast rules based on overall record, then head to head competition and ultimately an equitable tiebreaker like a flip of a coin. Bowls under contract with the Big 12 would no longer have the power to choose a league representative but would be assigned that team as the result of a merit-based slotting order.
5.Any and all other matters – including designation of where league tournaments and individual sport championship games will be held – are put to a simple majority vote of all conference member schools.
Could such measures take the politics out of the Big 12 Conference? Could they help establish a more perfect union without the need to further compromise? Could the haves of the Big 12 possibly agree to any of this?
Hey, I’m just a sportswriter who is slogging toward retirement in February of 2012. So feel free to tell me I’m naïve and that none of this could possibly work.

[Reply]
Saulbadguy 09:26 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors announced adoption of a position to equally distribute all conference related distributable revenue to include Tier I and II football television, men's basketball television and NCAA men's basketball tournament revenues. This action becomes effective after each member institution commits a grant of rights to the Conference for its Tier I and II television rights for at least six years.

It is recognized by the Board that each member is directed by institutional policy relative to pursuing its grant of rights and that process will commence expeditiously at the institutional level.

The Board is encouraged by the number of institutions indicating interest in the Big 12, which reflects positively on the standing of the Conference within intercollegiate athletics. The Board also looks forward to considering the recommendation of the expansion committee regarding future membership options.
boom, roasted
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:33 AM 10-03-2011
Kristi Dosh w/BusinessofCollegeSports.com & @sportsbizmiss says the Big East is more stable than the Big 12. She believes Missouri would be crazy to stay in the Big 12 over the SEC. She fully expects MU to join the SEC. Deaton's resignation is absolutely the signal she thought would happen before MU joined the SEC.
[Reply]
Saul Good 09:33 AM 10-03-2011
Isn't Tier III the issue, though?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:45 AM 10-03-2011
Opinion from Big 10 area lawyer:

"...so if Mizzou effectively turned down an invite to the stable and wealthy SEC in favor of staying in the Big 12 prison (which I would personally characterize as the dumbest business decision in the history of college sports if that's the case), I'd expect a whole lot of pitchforks in Columbia."
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:47 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Opinion from Big 10 area lawyer:

"...so if Mizzou effectively turned down an invite to the stable and wealthy SEC in favor of staying in the Big 12 prison (which I would personally characterize as the dumbest business decision in the history of college sports if that's the case), I'd expect a whole lot of pitchforks in Columbia."
I sharpened the point on my shovel - that'll have to do.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:54 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
See, that's very odd.

CoMo has sworn to us all that he sees about 20% KU gear in Columbia so surely you're full of shit.
I am not sure whats worse, the fact that you listen to CoMo and take it as gospel. Or the simple fact that you listen to CoMo at all...

Seriously, think about this for a moment....
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:02 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by ReeTodd_KC:
I am not sure whats worse, the fact that you listen to CoMo and take it as gospel. Or the simple fact that you listen to CoMo at all...

Seriously, think about this for a moment....
I believe you have missed the sarcasm in my post.

As a current Columbia resident and former resident of the aforementioned Northland, I'm using my own experience combined w/ CoMo's, uh, reputation for veracity, to agree with Pat in a backhanded manner.

I thought about typing 'this' and decided against it.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 10:04 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I believe you have missed the sarcasm in my post.

As a current Columbia resident and former resident of the aforementioned Northland, I'm using my own experience combined w/ CoMo's, uh, reputation for veracity, to agree with Pat in a backhanded manner.

I thought about typing 'this' and decided against it.
Yes I missed it.

apologize....
[Reply]
Page 147 of 727
« First < 4797137143144145146147 148149150151157197247647 > Last »
Up