ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 138 of 368
« First < 3888128134135136137138 139140141142148188238 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***
BigRedChief 12:29 PM 03-17-2015
Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
[Reply]
hometeam 06:57 PM 02-18-2016
So I dont know if you guys remember my saga with the shitty design on LS blocks and old style chevy starters, but long story short, they rip themselves out of the block by the mounting point/ear.

Well, mine had ripped itself out a while back, I had the piece welded back on and its been fine for whatever the last 6 months or so.

Wellllllll it finally broke again, and this time, it cracked the block on the other side as well, meaning im out a block. Fortunately, the car only ran for about 5 seconds like that, so im thinking that my crank and stuff is salvageable.

We are going to tear into the car on Sunday, and at the moment the plan is to reuse everything on the car but replace it with a 6.0 iron block, and forged rods and pistons, new bearings etc. I currently have 243 heads worked over pretty good and down to 59cc so that should get me somewhere around 11:1 compression on 4.005 bore, but im thinking about going to 4.030 bore to make a nice, reliable, monster 370ci LQ motor that should work well with my current heads and cam.

hoping to make something like 450 rwhp and 450 rwtq, up about 50/70 from the ls motor, and really ready for some boost with a set of 317 heads later down the road.
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:59 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by hometeam:
So I dont know if you guys remember my saga with the shitty design on LS blocks and old style chevy starters, but long story short, they rip themselves out of the block by the mounting point/ear.

Well, mine had ripped itself out a while back, I had the piece welded back on and its been fine for whatever the last 6 months or so.

Wellllllll it finally broke again, and this time, it cracked the block on the other side as well, meaning im out a block. Fortunately, the car only ran for about 5 seconds like that, so im thinking that my crank and stuff is salvagable.

We are going to tear into the car on Sunday, and at the moment the plan is to reuse everything on the car but replace it with a 6.0 iron block, and forged rods and pistons, new bearings etc. I currently have 243 heads worked over pretty good and down to 59cc so that should get me somewhere around 11:1 compression on 4.005 bore, but im thinking about going to 4.030 bore to make a nice, reliable, monster 370ci LQ motor that should work well with my current heads and cam.

hoping to make something like 450 rwhp and 450 rwtq, up about 50/70 from the ls motor, and really ready for some boost with a set of 317 heads later down the road.
So is this issue only on the aluminum block motors and not the iron blocks?
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:03 PM 02-18-2016

Wellllllll it finally broke again, and this time, it cracked the block on the other side as well, meaning im out a block. Fortunately, the car only ran for about 5 seconds like that, so im thinking that my crank and stuff is salvageable.

You didn't switch to the truck style starter?
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:04 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I've never heard of one breaking after installing a truck style starter.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:05 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
correct. And the issue does not exist with the new style starter aka the 'truck starter' on the LS motors, since it changes how the torque is applied to the flywheel/starter/block

had I known about the issue originally, and replaced the original starter with the truck style starter, it never would have broke int he first place.

My problem came from the original starter cracking the far mounting point on the block, and then being welded back together.

Either way, as soon as it broke the block the first time I was living on borrowed time.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:06 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
I've never heard of one breaking after installing a truck style starter.

yes, right, mine only broke after welding the old mounting point back on, and it just wasnt strong enough where the weld was.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:06 PM 02-18-2016
You didn't switch to the truck style starter?
Oh i did, but where it was welded just wasnt strong enough, even with the truck starter.

Every break is a little different, but happens around that outside mounting point. In my case, it broke very far out on it and there was just not enough aluminum there to make it strong enough.. it broke along the screw mount about 3-6 millimeters in a diagonal line.
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:07 PM 02-18-2016
correct. And the issue does not exist with the new style starter aka the 'truck starter' on the LS motors, since it changes how the torque is applied to the flywheel/starter/block

had I known about the issue originally, and replaced the original starter with the truck style starter, it never would have broke int he first place.

My problem came from the original starter cracking the far mounting point on the block, and then being welded back together.

Either way, as soon as it broke the block the first time I was living on borrowed time.
Actually the short ear breaks off from the torque and when the starter kicks out sideways it rips the block out.
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:09 PM 02-18-2016
Oh i did, but where it was welded just wasnt strong enough, even with the truck starter
Understand.

Wonder if the bracket works better?
[Reply]
hometeam 07:09 PM 02-18-2016
Actually the short ear breaks off from the torque and when the starter kicks out sideways it rips the block out.
Yea the starter itself actually breaks, and it breaks that mounting point that is still connected.

Since the point we fixed couldnt handle the stress, it broke, and GOOD this time.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:09 PM 02-18-2016
Understand.

Wonder if the bracket works better?
I hear the bracket is a permanent fix, but it costs almost as much as an entire 6.0 iron block, so im not out much money, just car downtime and work.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:11 PM 02-18-2016
Before this ongoing debacle, I never really realized how much beastly multiplicative torque a starter has.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:06 AM 02-20-2016
Jerry Seinfeld selling 16 Porsches.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/luxury/...che/index.html
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:30 PM 02-20-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Jerry Seinfeld selling 16 Porsches.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/luxury/...che/index.html
Need to check my powerball numbers after tonight's drawing to see if I can participate in the auction.
[Reply]
Miles 05:59 PM 02-20-2016
I have really wanted an older 911 since I was little and had posters of them in my room growing up. Apparently there are a lot like me that have driven the price up to absurd levels in the past few years. I did get a chance to drive a 95 993 a few times and while the interior was very confining (you are close to touching shoulders with passenger) I completely loved how much of a raw drivers car it was.
[Reply]
Page 138 of 368
« First < 3888128134135136137138 139140141142148188238 > Last »
Up