ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 137 of 726
« First < 3787127133134135136137 138139140141147187237637 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
eazyb81 10:28 AM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
Rumors about what Mizzou is asking for and the chances of getting it?
I think the main issue would be turning LHN into a legit Big 12 Network, and the odds of that happening are around 0%.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 10:31 AM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
I think the main issue would be turning LHN into a legit Big 12 Network, and the odds of that happening are around 0%.
Definitely. If this is all about the LHN, this is a wind-pissing contest at its finest.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 02:59 PM 10-02-2011
Let's hope they have the stones to tell the Big 12 to either straighten out or we are gone.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 03:40 PM 10-02-2011
Per Chip Brown:

A high ranking official at a Big 12 school told Orangebloods.com Sunday that "much progress was made" during a conference call with the Big 12 presidents and chancellors Sunday at 1:30. The primary topic was Missouri and the Tigers' future in or out of the Big 12.

The source said there was optimism that Missouri would stay in the Big 12 and that interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas would be issuing a press release discussing the progress.

But nothing will be finalized as it pertains to Missouri until MU Board of Curators meet on Tuesday. The curators are deciding if the Tigers should apply for membership to the South Eastern Conference, sources have said.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 03:43 PM 10-02-2011
I don't understand why the schools that can't support a TV Network of their own don't just produce one of their own? Why does this have to be such a big deal? I bet that network would have a wider audience, it would definitely be able to broadcast more games. I fail to see why this is such a huge stumbling block, if it indeed that it is.
[Reply]
Stewie 03:46 PM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade:
I don't understand why the schools that can't support a TV Network of their own don't just produce one of their own? Why does this have to be such a big deal? I bet that network would have a wider audience, it would definitely be able to broadcast more games. I fail to see why this is such a huge stumbling block, if it indeed that it is.
Because the LHN expanded as a recruiting tool.

The funny thing is aTm was offered a TV network combined with UT. aTm refused and then got pissed that UT hooked up with ESPN.

Stupid is as stupid does.
[Reply]
eazyb81 03:53 PM 10-02-2011
A Big 12 Network sans Texas would be practically worthless, just like a Big Ten Network without OSU and Michigan. You need Texas and their 25 million residents in the fold to make it worthwhile to the broadcaster.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 03:53 PM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Because the LHN expanded as a recruiting tool.

The funny thing is aTm was offered a TV network combined with UT. aTm refused and then got pissed that UT hooked up with ESPN.

Stupid is as stupid does.
I just don't see it. Does anyone really think the difference between Texas getting all the Texas recruits it wants and others taking what they think is theirs is the LHN showing highlights a local news station could?

Texas is going to get those recruits no matter if the LHN is there or not. It seems like a worthless thing to bitch about. Well, other than the gobs of money it pays Texas, but Texas is always going to have money.
[Reply]
tredadda 03:56 PM 10-02-2011
I just don't see it. Does anyone really think the difference between Texas getting all the Texas recruits it wants and others taking what they think is theirs is the LHN showing highlights a local news station could?

Texas is going to get those recruits no matter if the LHN is there or not. It seems like a worthless thing to bitch about. Well, other than the gobs of money it pays Texas, but Texas is always going to have money.
If there was a Big XII etwork, I don't think the LHN would be a big deal. You are right UT will get the choice recruits out of Texas regardless of whether there is a LHN or not.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 03:58 PM 10-02-2011
A Big 12 Network sans Texas would be practically worthless, just like a Big Ten Network without OSU and Michigan. You need Texas and their 25 million residents in the fold to make it worthwhile to the broadcaster.
I disagree. You still have two teams in Texas with the possibility of adding a third. You have a huge national power in OU in football, you have a huge national power in KU in basketball. You could easily have complimentary "look ins" with the LHN and The Cougar Network if they come in to ensure some Texas content on the Big XII Network and some Big XII content on the LHN.

This is what I mean when I say the other schools need to focus on what they can do instead of this continuous whining about what Texas does. If the conference expands it could be a profitable venture that actually has a further reach than the LHN.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 04:02 PM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by KcMizzou:
Per Chip Brown:

A high ranking official at a Big 12 school told Orangebloods.com Sunday that "much progress was made" during a conference call with the Big 12 presidents and chancellors Sunday at 1:30. The primary topic was Missouri and the Tigers' future in or out of the Big 12.

The source said there was optimism that Missouri would stay in the Big 12 and that interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas would be issuing a press release discussing the progress.

But nothing will be finalized as it pertains to Missouri until MU Board of Curators meet on Tuesday. The curators are deciding if the Tigers should apply for membership to the South Eastern Conference, sources have said.
Here's hoping Chip Brown is wrong and the Mizzou curators have the courage to make a change. If the Tigers stay in the Big XII, we will be going through this drama again very, very soon. I am sure that the Texas and OU lawyers already have a plan to break out of any agreement locking up TV rights to the conference that they have been talking about.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 04:03 PM 10-02-2011
I disagree. You still have two teams in Texas with the possibility of adding a third. You have a huge national power in OU in football, you have a huge national power in KU in basketball. You could easily have complimentary "look ins" with the LHN and The Cougar Network if they come in to ensure some Texas content on the Big XII Network and some Big XII content on the LHN.

This is what I mean when I say the other schools need to focus on what they can do instead of this continuous whining about what Texas does. If the conference expands it could be a profitable venture that actually has a further reach than the LHN.
So you really don't think airing high school football games/highlights would be beneficial for the Longhorns?
[Reply]
beer bacon 04:03 PM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Here's hoping Chip Brown is wrong and the Mizzou curators have the courage to make a change. If the Tigers stay in the Big XII, we will be going through this drama again very, very soon. I am sure that the Texas and OU lawyers already have a plan to break out of any agreement locking up TV rights to the conference that they have been talking about.
What is there for him to be wrong about? He didn't say anything definitive.
[Reply]
eazyb81 04:05 PM 10-02-2011

We can argue all day about it, but the facts are that LHN is viewed as a major problem by some schools and so far Texas is unwilling to make a change for the good of the conference. If it really is no big deal, as UT will always get the recruits they want and will make more money than God, then why can't they make a concession for the good of the conference?

To address the LHN problem, it seems clear a Big 12 Network needs to be a solution. A Big 12 Network without Texas is worthless, so getting them into the fold is mandatory. A potential solution I have thought about would be folding LHN into a legit Big 12 Network, but with UT getting a floor on revenue that is no less than the current LHN arrangement ($15MM per year) and the upside as every other team; so once total network revenue in a 10-team league exceeded $150MM per year, each school would get an equal payout.

UT could do this and still save face (which is clearly important for them), as there is no chance they will lose money. The Big 12 could save face by arguing this special arrangement makes sense as UT provided initial funding to get LHN off the ground.
[Reply]
tredadda 04:05 PM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by UCF Knight:
So you really don't think airing high school football games/highlights would be beneficial for the Longhorns?
If it were out of state games, yes. In state is irrelevant since UT gets the top in state recruits regardless. They have for decades, well before the LHN was ever even dreamed of.
[Reply]
Page 137 of 726
« First < 3787127133134135136137 138139140141147187237637 > Last »
Up