ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 132 of 383
« First < 3282122128129130131132 133134135136142182232 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:49 AM 05-12-2013
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Duchesse is pretty good, if not a little sweet for the Flanders Red style. Very thirst quenching, and a nice entry into the world of sour beers. Be careful, once you go down the rabbit hole into sour beers, there's no going back. :-)

My two favorites if you're going for the Flanders Red are Rodenbach Grand Cru and Cuvee Des Jacobins. You can get the Cuvee Des Jacobins around here; I've typically found it at Lukas in OP, KS, but you'll have to go to Illinois probably at the closest to find the Rodenbach (unless you order it online). They're both a bit more sour, but still very well balanced beers. *self professed sour beer nerd here*
Damn, sours are hard to find 'round these parts. Found a bottle of the Rodenbach Grand Cru, which I liked quite a lot. Thanks for the suggestion!
[Reply]
lewdog 12:22 PM 05-12-2013
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Damn, sours are hard to find 'round these parts. Found a bottle of the Rodenbach Grand Cru, which I liked quite a lot. Thanks for the suggestion!
I will be the first to admit I don't know a whole ton about beers. Sours, huh? Since I live in the "big city" now, we have a place called totalwine that has a huge beer selection. How would I go about finding these beers in this large store? Any names of ones I should ask for? What kind of prices do these beers run?

Thanks for the help!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:39 PM 05-12-2013
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I will be the first to admit I don't know a whole ton about beers. Sours, huh? Since I live in the "big city" now, we have a place called totalwine that has a huge beer selection. How would I go about finding these beers in this large store? Any names of ones I should ask for? What kind of prices do these beers run?

Thanks for the help!
Best thing would be to find someone at the store and ask them where their sours are. Sours have a traditionally sour/sweet flavor profile that's accomplished by the brewer allowing wild yeasts sour the brew. My wife hates them, I love them.

The ones I've seen come in 750ml bottles (like wine), are corked like champagne, and run anywhere from $8 to $15/bottle.

I've had the Duchesse de Bourgogne and now the Rodenbach Grand Cru, both of which are in the Flanders red ale styles. Another I'm keeping an eye out for is the Monk's Cafe Flanders Red Ale.

Liefman's Oud Bruin is a Flanders brown.

Lambics are similar to the sours: Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella, Boon Oude Kreik, Cantillon Kriek, Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, Cantillon St. Lamvinus, Hanssens Oud Kriek.

Oud Gueze: Boon Oude Gueuze, Cantillon Gueze.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:48 PM 05-12-2013
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Best thing would be to find someone at the store and ask them where their sours are. Sours have a traditionally sour/sweet flavor profile that's accomplished by the brewer allowing wild yeasts sour the brew. My wife hates them, I love them.

The ones I've seen come in 750ml bottles (like wine), are corked like champagne, and run anywhere from $8 to $15/bottle.

I've had the Duchesse de Bourgogne and now the Rodenbach Grand Cru, both of which are in the Flanders red ale styles. Another I'm keeping an eye out for is the Monk's Cafe Flanders Red Ale.

Liefman's Oud Bruin is a Flanders brown.

Lambics are similar to the sours: Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella, Boon Oude Kreik, Cantillon Kriek, Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, Cantillon St. Lamvinus, Hanssens Oud Kriek.

Oud Gueze: Boon Oude Gueuze, Cantillon Gueze.
Great info. Thanks!

I looked at totalwines website and they have quite a few! Those include Monk's Cafe, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Strubbe Flemish Red Ale and Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale just to name a few.

Sounds like an interesting taste. Will be even more interesting to see if I like it!

Thanks FMB.
[Reply]
phisherman 03:08 PM 05-12-2013
I would recommend going with the Flanders styles before moving to the sour lambics. The sour lambics can get REALLY sour, real palate scrapers. Rodenbach, Duchesse, Liefman's Goudenband, all great starters into the world of sour beers.
[Reply]
phisherman 02:54 PM 05-16-2013
Happy American Craft Beer Week!
[Reply]
phisherman 12:30 PM 05-23-2013
Saison Brett on draft at Next Door Pizza, FYI.
[Reply]
BourbonMan 01:46 PM 05-23-2013
If you're a TREKIE fan and you love IRISH RED (I AM AND I DO), you'll want to get this.

Vulcan Ale

http://www.today.com/food/star-trek-...id=msnhp&pos=6
[Reply]
Fish 02:42 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by BourbonMan:
If you're a TREKIE fan and you love IRISH RED (I AM AND I DO), you'll want to get this.

Vulcan Ale

http://www.today.com/food/star-trek-...id=msnhp&pos=6
Romulan Ale > Vulcan Ale
[Reply]
the Talking Can 02:46 PM 05-23-2013
so i'm going to be moving people the next two weekends

what are people's favorite summer beers?

something with a lower abv (<7%), and not a palate wrecker
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:58 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by the Talking Can:
so i'm going to be moving people the next two weekends

what are people's favorite summer beers?

something with a lower abv (<7%), and not a palate wrecker
2 I like are -

Boulevard 80 Acre Wheat

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager
[Reply]
phisherman 03:02 PM 05-23-2013
I second the 80 acre, great stuff for a hot day.
[Reply]
the Talking Can 03:24 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Marcellus the True:
2 I like are -

Boulevard 80 Acre Wheat

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager
thanks, never tried the summerfest
[Reply]
Ceej 05:39 PM 05-23-2013
I'll third the 80 Acre.

After taste reminds me of mandarin oranges.
[Reply]
Phobia 05:44 PM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Saison Brett on draft at Next Door Pizza, FYI.
Yeah - I'm headed out there now. Was just there yesterday.
[Reply]
Page 132 of 383
« First < 3282122128129130131132 133134135136142182232 > Last »
Up