ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 130 of 139
« First < 3080120126127128129130 131132133134 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs acquire WR Kadarius Toney via Trade
Dante84 10:30 AM 10-27-2022

Breaking: The #Giants are trading WR Kadarius Toney to the #Chiefs, per @Schultz_Report. A conditional 3rd and a 6th rounder go to NYG.

— Ari Meirov (@MySportsUpdate) October 27, 2022

[Reply]
Hoover 04:19 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Rainbarrel:
After officially ruling out WR Kadarius Toney, the Chiefs elevated WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette from the practice squad via standard elevation. This is the only elevation for the team this week, meaning Melvin Gordon won’t be elevated to face his former team in Week 14.

This is the first standard elevation for Smith-Marsette since joining the practice squad in Kansas City in late October. One reason that the Chiefs have opted for Smith-Marsette is that WRs Marcus Kemp and Cornell Powell have both exhausted their limit of three standard elevations. Those limits go away once the postseason arrives, but only Smith-Marsette, Bryan Edwards and Jerrion Ealy have elevations available for the rest of the regular season.
There is your punt returner. He returned 53 kicks at Iowa for over 1,500 yards and two touchdowns.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 04:31 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Hoover:
There is your punt returner. He returned 53 kicks at Iowa for over 1,500 yards and two touchdowns.
At Iowa tho. Dude probably ran the wrong way half the time.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:49 PM 12-10-2022
no DC has film of hardman and toney on the field at the same time right now

bet andy keeps it that way until january
[Reply]
oldman 05:04 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I have theories but it’s way too early to put them out there. I’ll just say that I have faith that Veach won’t put all his eggs in one basket. He'll go after a couple WRs next year. But, probably his focus will be on the DL.
I agree. The big question mark is Juju's future with the team. As little value as some have placed on MVS and Watson, I'd say those are your #2 and #5 WRs next season. Moore is probably #3. If we can hang on to Juju, that most likely elevates Toney to #4. Hardman is just going to be too expensive.

The focus during the off season and draft has to be on the DL and maybe an OT spot. Put Prince or Niang in the RT spot over the next couple of games , Wylie is trash and the sooner Andy sees that, the better.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:14 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by oldman:
I agree. The big question mark is Juju's future with the team. As little value as some have placed on MVS and Watson, I'd say those are your #2 and #5 WRs next season. Moore is probably #3. If we can hang on to Juju, that most likely elevates Toney to #4. Hardman is just going to be too expensive.

The focus during the off season and draft has to be on the DL and maybe an OT spot. Put Prince or Niang in the RT spot over the next couple of games , Wylie is trash and the sooner Andy sees that, the better.
maybe it's just me, but the WR room is just weird to me this season. i never understood the MVS signing. He's not a great fit for this offense. But we gave him a contract anyway. But signed JJSS on a 1-year deal, and he was always the better fit?

I don't know.

I think Andy knows the OTs are a real issue, but this lineup is about the best we can do right now. Niang will play when Andy thinks he really ready. No way Andy's watching tape and saying to himself, "oh yeah, Wylie/OBJ did a great job whiffing that block right there, let's have him do that next year." There's just no way.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 08:15 PM 12-10-2022
Sucks that Injurious Tone Yay won't be playing again, just have to hope his classroom work ethic makes up for not being out there come post season.
[Reply]
TEX 08:52 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by oldman:

True, and so is OBJ in our offense.
[Reply]
stevegroganfan 09:11 PM 12-10-2022
maybe it's just me, but the WR room is just weird to me this season. i never understood the MVS signing. He's not a great fit for this offense. But we gave him a contract anyway. But signed JJSS on a 1-year deal, and he was always the better fit?

I don't know.

I think Andy knows the OTs are a real issue, but this lineup is about the best we can do right now. Niang will play when Andy thinks he really ready. No way Andy's watching tape and saying to himself, "oh yeah, Wylie/OBJ did a great job whiffing that block right there, let's have him do that next year." There's just no way.
Why MVS? Teams have taken away the deep threat from the Chiefs by a lot of Cover 2 coverage. Tyreek Hill still burned them on short and intermediate routes and opened things up for others on deep routes where he was often doubled. And Hill was a potential/actual terror to opponents on punt returns.

MVS gets his share of double teams/safety help and when he is not doubled, he is still a good #3ish option for Mahomes. Mahomes has recently hit MVS on several passes where MVS didn't have that much separation but still made nice catches. But if there is one receiver in which Mahomes has missed some noteworthy throws when he was wide open it is MVS. Blame Mahomes for those ones and not MVS.

But overall MVS is working out great for Chiefs. Yes, some of the defenses Chiefs have played have been compromised with injuries but MVS is obviously not Tyreek Hill but he is a big time upgrade over Josh Gordon.

What the Chiefs have built at wide receiver is smart. One stud receiver/TE in Kelce with multiple backups to him who are respectable. And then one lower tier #1 receiver in JuJu that works well in trying to beat Cover 2 and a bunch of #3-4 receivers a few with promise to be much more than that. Toney has high upside in Chiefs system because of his change of direction ability but he has struggled with injury so far in his NFL career.

MVS may not have upside as anything other than lower tier #2 receiver but his floor is pretty high. With his size/speed defenses are not going to ignore him.

Chiefs have built enough depth at wide receiver/TE that they can lose 2 of their lower tier guys or 1 of their big guns (Kelce or JuJu) and still have a chance to win against anyone. MVS is a big part of that. Obviously, Kelce would be a huge loss but not insurmountable if he goes down if the other pieces stay healthy. Patriots won a SB in a year Gronk got hurt since they had built some depth at receiver/TE and Chiefs went from best 1-2 receiving combo in football with below average depth to probably just a top 10 combo in Kelce/JuJu to very good depth.

Without MVS and the Chiefs having just a JAG and not a receiver a little above JAG quality that can't really space the field, defenses would start getting away with the defenses they were afraid to play when Hill was on the team and despite Mahomes ability to throw the football, they would probably get away with it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:56 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by stevegroganfan:
Why MVS? Teams have taken away the deep threat from the Chiefs by a lot of Cover 2 coverage. Tyreek Hill still burned them on short and intermediate routes and opened things up for others on deep routes where he was often doubled. And Hill was a potential/actual terror to opponents on punt returns.

MVS gets his share of double teams/safety help and when he is not doubled, he is still a good #3ish option for Mahomes. Mahomes has recently hit MVS on several passes where MVS didn't have that much separation but still made nice catches. But if there is one receiver in which Mahomes has missed some noteworthy throws when he was wide open it is MVS. Blame Mahomes for those ones and not MVS.

But overall MVS is working out great for Chiefs. Yes, some of the defenses Chiefs have played have been compromised with injuries but MVS is obviously not Tyreek Hill but he is a big time upgrade over Josh Gordon.

What the Chiefs have built at wide receiver is smart. One stud receiver/TE in Kelce with multiple backups to him who are respectable. And then one lower tier #1 receiver in JuJu that works well in trying to beat Cover 2 and a bunch of #3-4 receivers a few with promise to be much more than that. Toney has high upside in Chiefs system because of his change of direction ability but he has struggled with injury so far in his NFL career.

MVS may not have upside as anything other than lower tier #2 receiver but his floor is pretty high. With his size/speed defenses are not going to ignore him.

Chiefs have built enough depth at wide receiver/TE that they can lose 2 of their lower tier guys or 1 of their big guns (Kelce or JuJu) and still have a chance to win against anyone. MVS is a big part of that. Obviously, Kelce would be a huge loss but not insurmountable if he goes down if the other pieces stay healthy. Patriots won a SB in a year Gronk got hurt since they had built some depth at receiver/TE and Chiefs went from best 1-2 receiving combo in football with below average depth to probably just a top 10 combo in Kelce/JuJu to very good depth.

Without MVS and the Chiefs having just a JAG and not a receiver a little above JAG quality that can't really space the field, defenses would start getting away with the defenses they were afraid to play when Hill was on the team and despite Mahomes ability to throw the football, they would probably get away with it.
Okay, you sold me. Kind of.

My main issues with MVS are pretty simple: he drops too many footballs that actually hit him in the hands, and he's not that great at running routes.

But you have kind of sold me on re-evaluating MVS and his role in the offense. I do understand that his sheer stature creates problems for DBs that no one else in the WR room can provide. But I'll see what he does over the next few games. Maybe I'm wrong.
[Reply]
stevegroganfan 10:40 PM 12-10-2022

My main issues with MVS are pretty simple: he drops too many footballs that actually hit him in the hands, and he's not that great at running routes.

But you have kind of sold me on re-evaluating MVS and his role in the offense. I do understand that his sheer stature creates problems for DBs that no one else in the WR room can provide. But I'll see what he does over the next few games. Maybe I'm wrong.
Your criticisms of MVS are valid but if he was even good at those two things given his height and speed, he would not even be available for 9 million a year in today's market.

9 million may seem like a lot vs let's say Kelce's salary but it really is reasonable for a veteran receiver of MVS quality in today's market. Most recently signed receivers in that price range are not performing as well as MVS.

If you want a more talented receiver like Tampa Bay got with Antonio Brown a few years ago at a lower cost, you either have to put up with a great deal of injury risk and/or the risk he will do something really stupid off/on the field.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 12:06 AM 12-11-2022
Don't let this guy touch the field into the Playoffs start.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 12:10 AM 12-11-2022
Maybe KT will be better playing on natural grass than field turf. I hope he's back for the playoffs because having players that can stretch the defense really opens this offense up.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:15 AM 12-11-2022
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
Don't let this guy touch the field into the Playoffs start.
Never going to happen. He's needs live game snaps, and plenty of them, to get worked into the offense at a decent level if we want to ensure Ws vs. BUF and/or CIN in the playoffs. He needs to be able to do a lot more than just a few gadget type plays. He needs to be a serious weapon, and that has to be on display sometime in the next 4 weeks, to put the fear of God in their DCs minds. Lot of things can only really be worked on in a game.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 02:40 AM 12-11-2022
Looking forward to a much healthier wide receiver room in the playoffs. (fingers crossed.)
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 04:51 AM 12-11-2022

For every drop, he has a great catch. He's made some big-time plays.

I'd say he's been pretty solid outside of a couple no-show games. Which everyone has now and then.
[Reply]
Page 130 of 139
« First < 3080120126127128129130 131132133134 > Last »
Up