ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 129 of 726
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139179229629 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:21 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
True, but each passing moment that we don't hear "We are a faithful member of the Big XII conference" or some such drivel is a moment closer we are to leaving.
Oh, I think we are as good as gone. BUT, somebody could still **** it up.
[Reply]
Dr. Gigglepants 09:34 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Oh, I think we are as good as gone. BUT, somebody could still **** it up.
Is the consensus that we will make an announcement middle of next week still? I'm starting to feel like MU is finally taking control of the wheel of their car, but the week delay makes me nervous. Are we going to take to the streets lighting things on fire if we wait all this time, and on Wednesday of next week come out with the flowery language about how much we love and are dedicated to the Big XII?
[Reply]
beer bacon 09:38 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants:
Is the consensus that we will make an announcement middle of next week still? I'm starting to feel like MU is finally taking control of the wheel of their car, but the week delay makes me nervous. Are we going to take to the streets lighting things on fire if we wait all this time, and on Wednesday of next week come out with the flowery language about how much we love and are dedicated to the Big XII?
Curators vote to give Deaton authority to explore conference realignment/expansion on Tuesday. They probably won't announce we're going to the SEC at at that time, but that is what it will mean.
[Reply]
mrbiggz 09:53 PM 09-29-2011
It sounds to me that Deaton put the Big12 on notice when he said at the press conference last week that his primary responsibility before anything is to MU. Then almost simultaneously the big12 announces publicly that the schools are requesting first and second tier rights to games while the UT's network is totally off negotiating table.

I'd be very surprised if we don't make an announcement to make a move to the SEC over the next few weeks.
[Reply]
eazyb81 07:36 AM 09-30-2011
:-), I doubt this article by Mellinger will be popular on here, but he's right.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/29...et-behind.html

Originally Posted by :
This is the time to get behind Missouri, Pinkel

SAM MELLINGER COMMENTARY

Maybe you don’t like Missouri. Maybe you root for the Jayhawks or went to Kansas State or some other school. Maybe you’re like a particularly intense friend of mine who considers the idea of cheering for the Tigers against anyone other than proven terrorists repulsive.

Maybe you should reconsider.

The Big 12’s best future — not its survival, but its best future — depends on how Mizzou’s showdown with Texas ends. Missouri’s beefs are all of our beefs. In other words, you should root for the Tigers.

No matter what the Southeastern Conference says officially or publicly, the league is very clearly holding a spot open for MU, and that leverage is the best hope for K-State since Bill Snyder’s return and for KU since Mario Chalmers’ jump shot.

We are a parochial city and a region divided by our rooting interests and backgrounds, but to paraphrase a line, right now we are all Mizzou fans.
And Gary Pinkel is our leader.

MU’s football coach calls the Big 12 infighting “sad” and “embarrassing,” points out that everyone knows the problems but nobody fixes them, and every word is true until he claims to be out of the loop.

Pinkel, whether intentionally or otherwise, has made himself the loop. With Texas A&M (and Nebraska) out, Missouri is third in the league’s power hierarchy. And after taking MU from the mess of Larry Smith to six consecutive bowl games, Pinkel is the school’s most important employee and recognized voice.

There is no whining in this, no stepping out of place. Pinkel is only telling people — publicly and otherwise — how he feels. You could say Pinkel is spending capital he’s built up from his success, except he’s actually building even more capital. Here’s a guy who answers questions honestly, using his influence to fight for his school.

Pinkel is uniquely positioned to speak on this, to put pressure on Texas to come closer to the middle on revenue sharing and the other contention points. Bill Self coaches the wrong sport, and Bill Snyder would sound too self-serving.

But Pinkel’s perspective is also KU’s and K-State’s, so in that way, he is the most public advocate for our region.

The league will survive with or without the Tigers, but the context of previous departures and premature statements of unity from others would position MU’s dropping out as the lowest moment yet.

Last summer’s departure of Nebraska and Colorado brought all the league’s problems to daylight. Texas A&M’s illustrated the scale. Missouri leaving would show that things will never change.

Mizzou is the Big 12’s last hope for positive change.

MU will and should do what’s best for the school. Pinkel appears convinced that means leaving for the SEC, and the Tigers are in a terrific position, but if everyone involved can remove emotion and ego they’ll see that the Big 12 can still be the best spot for all.

There would be no better path to the national championship than through a nine- or 10-school Big 12 without a league title game.

Missouri has won 40 games in four seasons in this conference, and it’s able to make a legitimate claim to being one of the nation’s top 20 programs without having to run the SEC gantlet.

Missouri could compete in the SEC, but it would have better access to the BCS and other major bowl games through the Big 12.

The conference’s year and a half of bickering in both backrooms and in public has to end. The buildup and the Pac-12’s thanks-but-no-thanks to Texas and Oklahoma puts everyone back at the table. We’ve seen this happen before, but never with the power brokers publicly rejected and without better options to hang over the heads of other schools.
This time it’s Missouri with the option, and it’s a good one.

People in Columbia are much less concerned about Texas making money from the Longhorn Network than taking a perceived recruiting advantage by showing high school games or highlights on it. Missouri cares less about Texas and Oklahoma making the rules than it does about knowing everyone will be around in 10 years.

Missouri can help ensure that, with real leverage that could convince Texas to agree to more equality throughout the league.

This is the best hope for Kansas City to maintain its best sports world. MU’s fight is Kansas City’s fight.

Besides, if you’re a KU or K-State fan and this saga doesn’t play out the way you hope, then those old feelings about Mizzou will come back quick enough.

[Reply]
kchero 08:15 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:

As a Mizzou fan, I would prefer to stay in the B12, but if these issues are not addressed then Mizzou (and everyone else) will have this problem in the B12 down the road and be in the same position that we all have been in for the past two years. Hopefully this appearance of defection to the SEC takes some notice in Dallas.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 08:15 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:

Here's what I don't get about the article: he says we should be Tiger fans because MU is standing up for us, but doesn't list any of the issues that they are supposedly standing up for. What good fight are the Tigers fighting here? Maybe there are some, but all it looks like to me is that MU thinks it can get a better deal elsewhere, and as a KU, KSU or ISU fan, I'm supposed to say "you go boy!"? "Please leave so the conference takes another value hit so that we can potentially earn less in it."

Does that make sense to anyone?

Look, if MU wants to leave, more power to them. I just don't understand why I'm a fan of it. I haven't seen MU fans and their list of demands to "fix" the conference being opposed by Texas. All I see out of MU fans is a desire to get away from Texas. I can understand that, I just don't get why I'm a fan of that.
[Reply]
Pants 08:19 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade:
Here's what I don't get about the article: he says we should be Tiger fans because MU is standing up for us, but doesn't list any of the issues that they are supposedly standing up for. What good fight are the Tigers fighting here? Maybe there are some, but all it looks like to me is that MU thinks it can get a better deal elsewhere, and as a KU, KSU or ISU fan, I'm supposed to say "you go boy!"? "Please leave so the conference takes another value hit so that we can potentially earn less in it."

Look, if MU wants to leave, more power to them. I just don't understand why I'm a fan of it. I haven't seen MU fans and their list of demands to "fix" the conference being opposed by Texas. All I see out of MU fans is a desire to get away from Texas. I can understand that, I just don't get why I'm a fan of that.
Dude, it's well documented that Mellinger is a complete dumbass. I don't think he's written a good article in his whole professional life.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:31 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade:

I don't think you're reading the article right. Mellinger isn't telling you to root for MU to get the best deal they can by leaving the conference. He's telling you to root for them to get whatever concessions they think are necessary from Texas to convince them that staying is the better option. The assumption is clearly that whatever those concessions are (and you're right that he's not very specific about them), they're the same things that KU, KSU, and ISU want but don't have the leverage to demand.

I'm OK with going to another conference, but I'd much rather see Big 12 reform that makes staying put the better option. For example, if Texas agreed to transform the Longhorn Network into a Big12 network with all revenue shared equally (admittedly an unlikely prospect), that would be a huge incentive for Mizzou to re-commit to the Big 12 and an enormously stabilizing development, IMO.
[Reply]
Pants 08:34 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I don't think you're reading the article right. Mellinger isn't telling you to root for MU to get the best deal they can by leaving the conference. He's telling you to root for them to get whatever concessions they think are necessary from Texas to convince them that staying is the better option. The assumption is clearly that whatever those concessions are (and you're right that he's not very specific about them), they're the same things that KU, KSU, and ISU want but don't have the leverage to demand.

I'm OK with going to another conference, but I'd much rather see Big 12 reform that makes staying put the better option. For example, if Texas agreed to transform the Longhorn Network into a Big12 network with all revenue shared equally (admittedly an unlikely prospect), that would be a huge incentive for Mizzou to re-commit to the Big 12 and an enormously stabilizing development, IMO.
I think HH just wants Mellinger to maybe tell us what those concessions are instead of pulling some random general statement out of his ass. Mellinger has no idea what Missouri is really thinking nor what they're trying to achieve.
[Reply]
Dr. Gigglepants 08:35 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
Dude, it's well documented that Mellinger is a complete dumbass. I don't think he's written a good article in his whole professional life.
I agree to an extent. He had a point, just didn't convey it in a clear convincing matter. Or is this just a couple KU fans not wanting to admit that he is right, despite the poorly written article.
[Reply]
beer bacon 08:36 AM 09-30-2011
Why would Texas make any concessions? The conference isn't going to die if Mizzou leaves, and the rest of the schools are just happy to be here. Bevo just needs the Big 12 for another five or six years while they build the LHN.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:38 AM 09-30-2011
Question for Mizzou fans:

Why in God's name do those of you that would "prefer to stay in the B12" feel that way?
[Reply]
patteeu 08:38 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
I think HH just wants Mellinger to maybe tell us what those concessions are instead of pulling some random general statement out of his ass. Mellinger has no idea what Missouri is really thinking nor what they're trying to achieve.
I don't think you have to know what the specific concessions are to believe that they'd be good for the little sisters of the league. It would be nice to know them, but I think it's highly unlikely that Mizzou is trying to cut a deal that only benefits Mizzou and leaves the conference just as unstable as before.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:42 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:
Question for Mizzou fans:

Why in God's name do those of you that would "prefer to stay in the B12" feel that way?
"Prefer to stay in the B12" comes with a caveat. I'd only prefer to stay in the B12 if the reformed B12 is the better deal. Why in God's name would a Mizzou fan rather go to another conference if staying in the B12 is the better deal and how can they rationalize that?

The reason I would like to see the reformed B12 end up being the better deal is that I live in Kansas City and the city benefits from being in the heart of a conference that contains all the local major schools rather than on the edge of two different conferences and also because of the traditional rivalries.
[Reply]
Page 129 of 726
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139179229629 > Last »
Up