Nzoner's Game Room>Caitlin Clark is fucking awesome
staylor26 09:55 PM 03-31-2023

Caitlin Clark is cold af for this pic.twitter.com/ieyvCRmq1S

— Lindsey (@LuLu_Vue) April 1, 2023

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
staylor26 11:57 AM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
They're not mutually exclusive concepts.
Ironic that you're the one that's 100% being obtuse.

Your claim is baseless.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:12 PM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Ironic that you're the one that's 100% being obtuse.

Your claim is baseless.
:-) Come on now. Hell, in this case it's not even contained to the media running narratives, it's even being perpetuated by the other players.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:23 PM 05-13-2024
:-) Jokic is not who I'd point to to emphasize that race isn't a factor. Unfortunately for him he's getting more of the negative effects
I don't understand the whole black vs white thing as marketability. Maybe its different on the womens side and I guess I can recognize that without understanding it but its the opposite on the mens side. Tons of great white Duke bball players who havent been easy to market. Last one anyone gravitated towards was Christian Laetnner and he was even super polarizing. Maybe Jimmer Fredette is the only one I can think of but the general public simply hates white college basketball players.

The biggest marketable stars on the mens side have been black. Difficult to hype up Zach Edey, Kyle Flilipowski, JJ Reddick, Aaron Craft, Tyler Hansbrough etc.

Think Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Zion Williamson, Blake Griffin, Trae Young, Greg Oden. Easy to hype up and market.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:27 PM 05-13-2024
:-) Come on now. Hell, in this case it's not even contained to the media running narratives, it's even being perpetuated by the other players.
Umm yea, because they're a bunch of jealous bitches. What point do you think you are making here exactly?
[Reply]
staylor26 12:29 PM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I don't understand the whole black vs white thing as marketability. Maybe its different on the womens side and I guess I can recognize that without understanding it but its the opposite on the mens side. Tons of great white Duke bball players who havent been easy to market. Last one anyone gravitated towards was Christian Laetnner and he was even super polarizing. Maybe Jimmer Fredette is the only one I can think of but the general public simply hates white college basketball players.

The biggest marketable stars on the mens side have been black. Difficult to hype up Zach Edey, Kyle Flilipowski, JJ Reddick, Aaron Craft, Tyler Hansbrough etc.

Think Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Zion Williamson, Blake Griffin, Trae Young, Greg Oden. Easy to hype up and market.
I hate to agree with BWillie on anything, but you're 100% right.

If there were any truth to this, it would be reflected in men's basketball as well, but it's not.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:00 PM 05-13-2024
I hate to agree with BWillie on anything, but you're 100% right.

If there were any truth to this, it would be reflected in men's basketball as well, but it's not.
I think there’s a definite difference between an ‘all-american’ white girl playing at her level in women’s basketball versus some European players dominating in the NBA. It’s a little naive to think that some of Clark’s popularity isn’t because of who she is and that’s fine. It’s not just being white of course - it’s being white, midwestern, having the type of game she does. She’s very relatable to a lot of these young girls who probably never even really considered playing or watching basketball. It’s just all come together for her to be at the pinnacle of fame in my opinion, which doesn’t mean she wouldn’t be crazy popular regardless of her race.

I don’t think the men’s sport is comparable. If Cooper Flagg stays in school for 4 years, sets all sorts of records at Duke, and then proceeds to get drafted 1st overall, maybe we can talk some type of comp. But he still wouldn’t be at Clark’s level just simply because there’s a newness to people’s watching women’s basketball whereas there’s no way Flagg’s success would drum up any sort of increased viewership on the same level.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:03 PM 05-13-2024
Reese deserves a ton of credit as well. Knocked her out of the tournament last year and was a damn near perfect rival/foil. Running into an undefeated juggernaut in the Championship round immediately afterwards helped too.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:11 PM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I think there’s a definite difference between an ‘all-american’ white girl playing at her level in women’s basketball versus some European players dominating in the NBA. It’s a little naive to think that some of Clark’s popularity isn’t because of who she is and that’s fine. It’s not just being white of course - it’s being white, midwestern, having the type of game she does. She’s very relatable to a lot of these young girls who probably never even really considered playing or watching basketball. It’s just all come together for her to be at the pinnacle of fame in my opinion, which doesn’t mean she wouldn’t be crazy popular regardless of her race.

I don’t think the men’s sport is comparable. If Cooper Flagg stays in school for 4 years, sets all sorts of records at Duke, and then proceeds to get drafted 1st overall, maybe we can talk some type of comp. But he still wouldn’t be at Clark’s level just simply because there’s a newness to people’s watching women’s basketball whereas there’s no way Flagg’s success would drum up any sort of increased viewership on the same level.
Mr. White Guilt himself thinks race is a factor? I'm shocked!

It's really pointless to have this discussion with people that don't know ball and don't understand the uniqueness of Clark's game and skill set.

If she were the female Steph Curry looks/race wise (to go along with her play style), she'd be just as popular.

It's 100% a baseless claim.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 01:15 PM 05-13-2024
Yeah I think Reese and Clark show two sides of the story.

I think it’d be crazy not to think clark unlocked a lot of that soccer mom / daughter audience that exploded with the USWNT a while ago. Mostly because she’s exciting and plays in a way we’re not used to seeing. But if we’re being real she’s probably a little more like that USWNT brand.

Angel Reese is doing this with a totally different audience and she’s crushing marketing on her own. She has a lot of endorsements and I don’t hear people griping about that.

Sponsors aren’t going to market someone who isn’t marketable. The interest here is bottom up where the market decides who is marketable vs traditional top down where the wnba true fans insist on who the public should like
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:22 PM 05-13-2024
Mr. White Guilt himself thinks race is a factor? I'm shocked!

It's really pointless to have this discussion with people that don't know ball and don't understand the uniqueness of Clark's game and skill set.

If she were the female Steph Curry looks/race wise (to go along with her play style), she'd be just as popular.

It's 100% a baseless claim.
I’m half hispanic but tell more!

You’re naive to think every little girl in the midwest who’s started following college basketball would be doing the same thing if she were black. That doesn’t speak to racism. There were tons of Asians who got more into basketball because of Jeremy Lin. If there were some 5’10 Jewish superstar basketball player, you think that wouldn’t attract more Jewish fans?

I don’t even know how this is controversial. There’s a uniqueness to her game - no one disputes that - but she’s also white and looks and acts like them.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 01:41 PM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by Womble:
If they want eyeballs on their league then they need to promote the shit out of this lady. How can someone this hilariously tall be so ****ing hot!?

[Reply]
Shields68 01:46 PM 05-13-2024
Reese deserves a ton of credit as well. Knocked her out of the tournament last year and was a damn near perfect rival/foil. Running into an undefeated juggernaut in the Championship round immediately afterwards helped too.
Clark was putting people in the seats and tuning into TV's before the Reese thing ever went down. The media jusst like to try and make the Reese thing about race. Like a two second gesture before a timeout was the same as following someone around for minutes after the game is over.

Bottom line is a lot of people like watching Clark play. She brought an excitement and brand of basketball to the Womans' game that was not seen before.

Reese was smart enough to capitolize on the woke corporations despite her game being as boring as watching local YMCA game.
[Reply]
ThrobProng 01:56 PM 05-13-2024
Magic vs. Bird was partially about race, and they are both commonly considered top 10 all-time players. When they entered the NBA you heard next to nothing about their race in the media or from the players themselves, but everyone knew it was a thing. The white star vs. the black star. The mostly white Celtics vs. the mostly black Lakers.

The WNBA should be so lucky to have at least the perception of underlying racial tension. That's good for drama, and in turn good for ratings.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:56 PM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I’m half hispanic but tell more!

You’re naive to think every little girl in the midwest who’s started following college basketball would be doing the same thing if she were black. That doesn’t speak to racism. There were tons of Asians who got more into basketball because of Jeremy Lin. If there were some 5’10 Jewish superstar basketball player, you think that wouldn’t attract more Jewish fans?

I don’t even know how this is controversial. There’s a uniqueness to her game - no one disputes that - but she’s also white and looks and acts like them.
Maybe I'm just not so cynical to believe that many children need to see somebody that looks like them to be a fan. I'm a Cuban/white that grew up watching MJ, my childhood idol. Me and just about every white or non-black kid i grew up with wanted to "be like Mike". All I needed to feel like Mike was a jersey and some shoes. I didn't tell my parents that I needed blackface to be MJ.

Pure projection.

Also, being half Hispanic doesn't change anything, cuck.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:00 PM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Clark was putting people in the seats and tuning into TV's before the Reese thing ever went down. The media jusst like to try and make the Reese thing about race. Like a two second gesture before a timeout was the same as following someone around for minutes after the game is over.

Bottom line is a lot of people like watching Clark play. She brought an excitement and brand of basketball to the Womans' game that was not seen before.

Reese was smart enough to capitolize on the woke corporations despite her game being as boring as watching local YMCA game.
Iowa LSU rematch drew almost two and a half million more than the 2023 Championship game did.
[Reply]
Page 127 of 139
« First < 2777117123124125126127 128129130131137 > Last »
Up