ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 23
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Thoughts the day after
TwistedChief 04:32 AM 09-20-2021
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
TLO 11:25 AM 09-20-2021
We're super spoiled as Chiefs fans. It's great
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:26 AM 09-20-2021
Williams and McKinnion need more carries.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:26 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
We're already in field goal range. We don't need yards. We need to bleed every second possible off the clock considering how incredibly poorly our defense has performed.
Did you see how Minnesota lost yesterday?

Being in FG range means shit. Had CEH not fumbled, and Butker missed the kick, everyone here would be blaming Butker...

Instead of blaming the conservative play calling when you have the best QB on Earth and had been moving the ball at will, especially to the TE.

Christ, different situation, but we were more aggressive trying to close out a playoff game with CHAD HENNE under center than we were last night with the Half Billon Dollar Man.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:27 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
This is eleventy-billion percent true.
[Reply]
O.city 11:28 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
For a team that utilizes the passing game as an extension of the running game, who also has the best QB on the planet, when no one had covered Kelce all night, (or really anyone other than Tyreek) when you need to run the clock AND gain positive yardage...

And you give the ball to a RB who had gained precisely ONE yard in the previous 4? drives combined?

I just can't get on board with the call.
You can still do that on third down though. It was basically "burn their last timeout" playcall.

Don't fumble.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 11:29 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Absolutely.

Still wouldn't trade this team for the world. Just tired of watching them lose/win nail biters the exact same way over and over.
[Reply]
-King- 11:29 AM 09-20-2021

Being in FG range means shit. Had CEH not fumbled, and Butker missed the kick, everyone here would be blaming Butker...

Instead of blaming the conservative play calling when you have the best QB on Earth and had been moving the ball at will, especially to the TE.

Christ, different situation, but we were more aggressive trying to close out a playoff game with CHAD HENNE under center than we were last night with the Half Billon Dollar Man.
Calling 1 run after 3 straight 1st down passes is not being conservative.
[Reply]
O.city 11:30 AM 09-20-2021

Well, yeah, I was saying to my BIL at the time, just go score and then let them have to drive to score with not much time.

Its a delicate balance.
[Reply]
O.city 11:31 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Calling 1 run after 3 straight 1st down passes is not being conservative.
I think I'd have liked to have seen one more first down before you get to the conservative point.

If you wanna play for a 43 yard FG, fine. But something out of 50 is just tough for me.
[Reply]
O.city 11:33 AM 09-20-2021
They just fuck around and don't put teams away. I realize you aren't going to score every possession and the other team is professional blah blah.

But this team is offensive based. I'm not expecting an 85 Bears defense, so when the D gives you the ball back up 2 scores, it's on you to go finish this fucker out.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:34 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
They just fuck around and don't put teams away. I realize you aren't going to score every possession and the other team is professional blah blah.

But this team is offensive based. I'm not expecting an 85 Bears defense, so when the D gives you the ball back up 2 scores, it's on you to go finish this fucker out.
Yeah. The defense shoulders a lot of the blame for last night but the offense needs to keep their foot on the pedal the entire game. They have the horses to do it. Start lighting teams up.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:36 AM 09-20-2021
Well, yeah, I was saying to my BIL at the time, just go score and then let them have to drive to score with not much time.

Its a delicate balance.
Score, and force the Ravens to drive the field by throwing the ball - which is their weakness - and score a TD with little time and no time outs, or...

Take the ball out of your best player's hands, give it to the guy who had gained a single yard on the previous 4 drives, and play for a 50 yard FG so they'll use their last timeout.

Very delicate. the Ravens attacked our weakness, and we didn't bother to attack theirs when it mattered most.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:36 AM 09-20-2021

100% this.
[Reply]
O.city 11:40 AM 09-20-2021
Score, and force the Ravens to drive the field by throwing the ball - which is their weakness - and score a TD with little time and no time outs, or...

Take the ball out of your best player's hands, give it to the guy who had gained a single yard on the previous 4 drives, and play for a 50 yard FG so they'll use their last timeout.

Very delicate. the Ravens attacked our weakness, and we didn't bother to attack theirs when it mattered most.
It was 2nd down though on the run. If it were 3rd, I'd be more willing to agree. But it's 2nd down. You run it, they burn that TO, you can still have a down to throw if you want.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:41 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Yeah. The defense shoulders a lot of the blame for last night but the offense needs to keep their foot on the pedal the entire game. They have the horses to do it. Start lighting teams up.
I don't know what was up with Mahomes but he had a couple sub par at best drives there that probably put the nail in the coffin if we score.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 23
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up