ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 19
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>WR Zay Jones scheduled to visit the Chiefs on Thursday [signed with Arizona]
wazu 07:56 PM 05-08-2024

Former Jaguars WR Zay Jones is scheduled to visit Thursday with the Kansas City Chiefs, per league sources.

After Jacksonville released him last week, Jones has visited the Titans, Cardinals and Cowboys - with the Chiefs on deck. pic.twitter.com/thxVqQOvL8

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) May 9, 2024

[Reply]
Direckshun 09:44 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I think if they wanted Smith they would have signed him. The money hes wanting is either significantly more that we will pay, or we just dont want him back. We have money, we have need. If they felt the NEEDED him he would be here.
I think they want to get a good look at Kingsley first.
[Reply]
Shields68 09:49 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I think if they wanted Smith they would have signed him. The money hes wanting is either significantly more that we will pay, or we just dont want him back. We have money, we have need. If they felt the NEEDED him he would be here.
Could be he is waiting for camp to be almost over before signing.
[Reply]
LagunaSWana 09:49 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Yup. Veach said as much in his presser. If we haven't signed Smith after OTAs, then we'll know the Chiefs are comfortable with Morris/Kingsley/Taylor as tackles. Don't sleep on the possibility of Taylor at LT and Kingsley at RT.
[Reply]
JPH83 09:51 AM 05-10-2024
I think we're ultimately teasing ourselves, here.

I still think the Chiefs want Donovan Smith, so I don't think they're going to offer anything to Zay, but they'll do the same thing they did to DeAndre Hopkins (reportedly) and offer him a smaller deal on paper but offer him analysis that suggests he'll more than make up for it in endorsements.

There will be a conversation, but I bet it goes nowhere, the team will use its money to pay Donovan Smith, and sign Mecole Hardman for pennies right before training camp.
Mentioned before the floor at LT is lower than WR right now. I don't particularly like D Smith and he's not as good a player as Jones...but we need to raise that LT floor before WR imo.
[Reply]
Shields68 09:52 AM 05-10-2024
Most likely. Sounded like they wanted to move up to get Mims and did not get that done. If they did i think then Smith would have been out.
[Reply]
ThrobProng 10:01 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Most likely. Sounded like they wanted to move up to get Mims and did not get that done. If they did i think then Smith would have been out.
It surprises me that KC would've traded up 10 or so spots for a guy who has never played LT, and who has injury issues. They obviously know what they are doing, but that seems like it would be a riskier-than-usual trade up.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:11 AM 05-10-2024
I think we're ultimately teasing ourselves, here.

I still think the Chiefs want Donovan Smith, so I don't think they're going to offer anything to Zay, but they'll do the same thing they did to DeAndre Hopkins (reportedly) and offer him a smaller deal on paper but offer him analysis that suggests he'll more than make up for it in endorsements.

There will be a conversation, but I bet it goes nowhere, the team will use its money to pay Donovan Smith, and sign Mecole Hardman for pennies right before training camp.
I don't think he stays in town a second night with that being the framework.
[Reply]
gordonelloyd 10:12 AM 05-10-2024
I read that our cap space is about 15 million, so we should have enough to sign both Smith [about 3 million cap if it’s like last year) and Jones (about 4 million cap if it’s like OBJ contract with Miami].

I don’t think Smith will want to sign until after camp, so that probably explains the delay. And no matter how well Kingsley and Morris do at camp I still think we need Insurance and Smith.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:47 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by gordonelloyd:
I read that our cap space is about 15 million, so we should have enough to sign both Smith [about 3 million cap if it’s like last year) and Jones (about 4 million cap if it’s like OBJ contract with Miami].

I don’t think Smith will want to sign until after camp, so that probably explains the delay. And no matter how well Kingsley and Morris do at camp I still think we need Insurance and Smith.
Agreed, I'd sign Smith either way if he's willing to just be insurance. After what happened in that Bucs Super Bowl, I will never be upset with this team for bringing in too many good tackles.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:18 AM 05-10-2024
Why would Donovan Smith want to come back?

He isn't coming back without basically being guaranteed the starter spot and if you do that why are you drafting OT's?

It to mean seems like he's only coming back if he legit has no offers and he's fine being a backup if he gets beaten out.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:21 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Why would Donovan Smith want to come back?

He isn't coming back without basically being guaranteed the starter spot and if you do that why are you drafting OT's?

It to mean seems like he's only coming back if he legit has no offers and he's fine being a backup if he gets beaten out.
Because if he had a wealth of attractive offers he'd have signed by now.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:21 AM 05-10-2024
FWIW Grunny has always been pretty close to the vibe with the Chiefs. He doesn’t break news but he definitely knows when the Chiefs feel a certain way about a situation.

He was very direct that he didn’t think Donovan Smith was coming back and the Chiefs want to have Wanya and Kingsley battle for LT.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:22 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
FWIW Grunny has always been pretty close to the vibe with the Chiefs. He doesn’t break news but he definitely knows when the Chiefs feel a certain way about a situation.

He was very direct that he didn’t think Donovan Smith was coming back and the Chiefs want to have Wanya and Kingsley battle for LT.
Sure, that's why they haven't signed Smith yet, but I doubt that they won't be quick to re-sign him if both guys are struggling early on.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:24 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Because if he had a wealth of attractive offers he'd have signed by now.
I mean that's fair but he also may be fine just waiting it out for someone to get hurt.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:28 AM 05-10-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I mean that's fair but he also may be fine just waiting it out for someone to get hurt.
He’s an old player that’s had hindering injuries for 2 years straight and was top 5 in pressures allowed. He’s not exactly marketable.

The bar is pretty damn low for Kingsley IMO
[Reply]
Page 12 of 19
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Up