ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 13
« First < 289101112 13 >
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
ToxSocks 04:00 PM 05-29-2024
Biofuels, eh?

Imagine if you can just pop a turd in your gas tank and drive 300 miles.

Figure it out, science.
[Reply]
ghak99 04:14 PM 05-29-2024
Originally Posted by ToxSocks:
Biofuels, eh?

Figure it out, science.
Taco Bell to the rescue.

Until they figure it out we'll just have to keep letting the cows do it for us. They're even making this cool white stuff and steaks as a byproduct while filling the shit tank powered fuel lines. California is running all the dairy farms off though, so you might have to move if you want shit powered anything before the Taco Bell system gets everyone up and running.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:44 PM 05-29-2024
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Taco Bell to the rescue.

Until they figure it out we'll just have to keep letting the cows do it for us. They're even making this cool white stuff and steaks as a byproduct while filling the shit tank powered fuel lines. California is running all the dairy farms off though, so you might have to move if you want shit powered anything before the Taco Bell system gets everyone up and running.
Hey man. Don’t be adding competition to my fertilizer market.

I’ll take all the shit I can get.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:59 PM 05-29-2024
Originally Posted by ToxSocks:
Biofuels, eh?

Figure it out, science.
There used to be a guy around here that ran his car off old McDonalds oil.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:05 AM 06-19-2024
Fisker filed for bankruptcy protection late on Monday, as the U.S. electric-vehicle maker looks to salvage its operations by selling assets and restructuring its debt after burning through cash in an attempt to ramp up production of its Ocean SUVs.

The hyper-competitive EV market has seen several companies, including Proterra, Lordstown and Electric Last Mile Solutions, file for bankruptcy in the past two years as they grappled with weakening demand, fundraising hurdles and operational challenges from global supply chain issues.

The company, founded by automotive designer Henrik Fisker, flagged doubts about its ability to remain in business in February and later failed to secure an investment from a big automaker, forcing it to rein in operations.

The collapse of its talks with the automaker − which Reuters had reported to be Nissan − meant that it was denied $350 million in funding from an unnamed investor that was contingent on the automaker's investment and forced Fisker to explore options.

"Like other companies in the electric vehicle industry, we have faced various market and macroeconomic headwinds that have impacted our ability to operate efficiently," Fisker said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ent=newsletter
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:41 PM 06-19-2024
another article on Fisker.

EV Maker Fisker Folds in a Troubled EV Market

Fisker, whose flagship electric vehicle holds the distinction of being the worst car YouTube gearhead Marques Brownlee has ever reviewed, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The real surprise is that the California-based EV manufacturer and a handful of other EV startups have managed to stick around as long as they have in a rapidly changing EV landscape.

Everybody Wants to be Tesla
Even Tesla, the EV startup that remains the envy of most car makers, is far from Ludicrous Mode. In the first quarter, total automotive revenues were down 13% year-over-year, and its stock is one of the worst performers on the S&P 500, plummeting 25% year-to-date. As for the Big Three — Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis — they’re still figuring out their EV game plan, and hybrids are all the rage anyhow. US EV sales went up last year, but still only amounted to less than 10% of all car purchases, according to Kelley Blue Book.

Small wonder EV startups are dropping like electric flies. Besides Fisker, the past few years have brought the demise of Lordstown Motors, Arrival, and Electric Last Mile. EV big-rig maker Nikola is still in the game, although its CEO was sentenced to four years in prison last December for exaggerating the company tech’s capabilities to investors. The other EV startup survivors are doing better. Slightly:

Since its November 2021 IPO, Rivian has seen its share price drop around 90%, and from 2021 to the end of 2023, it incurred roughly $17 billion in losses. If all goes to plan and the company gets its more affordable R2 model to production by early 2026, Rivian might just be able to scale its business around the SUV’s potential success. Keyword: might.
Lucid has fared a little better: Its stock has fallen just 85% since its July 2021 SPAC, and being majority-owned by Saudi Arabia’s $700 billion Public Investment Fund suggests some wiggle room. Though maybe not much; in May, Lucid cut 6% of its workforce — or 400 employees — ahead of its Gravity SUV launch later this year, after cutting 1,300 workers last year.
How the East was Won: Meanwhile, halfway around the world, Chinese manufacturers are churning out more than half of all the EVs produced anywhere. Brands like BYD and Geely are able to price their cars extremely low thanks to cheap labor costs, hefty government subsidies, and easy access to battery materials. You won’t find it in the US because of poor geopolitical relations and a 100% import tariff, but don’t be surprised to see flocks of BYD’s $10,000 Seagull elsewhere in the world.
[Reply]
loochy 05:11 PM 06-19-2024
Last week we had a Mustang Mach E as a rental car. My wife loved it.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:21 PM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by loochy:
Last week we had a Mustang Mach E as a rental car. My wife loved it.
I bet that was a fun ride. How far did you go, or how many miles?

Knowing what I know about electrical motors I imagine the acceleration is instant.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:34 PM Today
(Daily Caller News Foundation) — Nearly half of American electric vehicle (EV) owners want to buy an internal combustion engine model the next time they buy a car, according to a new study from McKinsey and Company, a leading consulting firm.

Approximately 46% of Americans who own an EV want to go back to a standard vehicle for their next purchase, citing issues like inadequate charging infrastructure and affordability, according to McKinsey’s study, which was obtained and reviewed by the Daily Caller News Foundation. The study’s findings further suggest that the Biden administration’s EV push is struggling to land with American consumers, after 46% of respondents indicated that they are unlikely or very unlikely to purchase an EV in a June poll conducted by The Associated Press and the University of Chicago’s Energy Policy Institute.

Moreover, 58% of Americans are very likely to keep their current cars for longer, and 44% are likely to postpone a possible switch to EVs, McKinsey’s study found. Consumers’ concerns about EV charging infrastructure are notable given the slow rollout of the Biden administration’s $7.5 billion public EV charger program, which has so far led to the construction of only a handful of chargers in nearly three years.

The Biden administration has a stated goal of having EVs make up 50% of all new car sales by 2030, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finalized stringent regulations in March that will force manufacturers to ensure that up to 56% of their light-duty vehicles are EVs by 2032. The EPA has also finalized strict emissions standards for medium- and light-duty vehicles, while the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has also locked in fuel economy standards that will further push manufacturers to produce more EVs.

The administration is also spending billions of dollars to subsidize the production and purchase of EVs, but manufacturers are still losing considerable amounts of cash on their EV product lines. EVs remained below a 10% share of all auto sales in the U.S. in 2023, according to Cox Automotive.

The White House did not respond immediately to a request for comment.
[Reply]
HemiEd 03:38 PM Today
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
(Daily Caller News Foundation) — Nearly half of American electric vehicle (EV) owners want to buy an internal combustion engine model the next time they buy a car, according to a new study from McKinsey and Company, a leading consulting firm.

Approximately 46% of Americans who own an EV want to go back to a standard vehicle for their next purchase, citing issues like inadequate charging infrastructure and affordability, according to McKinsey’s study, which was obtained and reviewed by the Daily Caller News Foundation. The study’s findings further suggest that the Biden administration’s EV push is struggling to land with American consumers, after 46% of respondents indicated that they are unlikely or very unlikely to purchase an EV in a June poll conducted by The Associated Press and the University of Chicago’s Energy Policy Institute.

Moreover, 58% of Americans are very likely to keep their current cars for longer, and 44% are likely to postpone a possible switch to EVs, McKinsey’s study found. Consumers’ concerns about EV charging infrastructure are notable given the slow rollout of the Biden administration’s $7.5 billion public EV charger program, which has so far led to the construction of only a handful of chargers in nearly three years.

The Biden administration has a stated goal of having EVs make up 50% of all new car sales by 2030, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finalized stringent regulations in March that will force manufacturers to ensure that up to 56% of their light-duty vehicles are EVs by 2032. The EPA has also finalized strict emissions standards for medium- and light-duty vehicles, while the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has also locked in fuel economy standards that will further push manufacturers to produce more EVs.

The administration is also spending billions of dollars to subsidize the production and purchase of EVs, but manufacturers are still losing considerable amounts of cash on their EV product lines. EVs remained below a 10% share of all auto sales in the U.S. in 2023, according to Cox Automotive.

The White House did not respond immediately to a request for comment.
Holy shit, that is some serious stuff.

Handfull of charging stations in three years for billions, really?

I am guessing some serious pushback by manufaturers and consumers to the EPA.
[Reply]
notorious 04:23 PM Today
Any government programs with little oversight is an opportunity to line pockets with money.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:30 PM Today
Originally Posted by notorious:
Any government programs with little oversight is an opportunity to line pockets with money.
To be fair, the money isn't gone, it's just not spent yet. There's no question it's been minimal progress though.
[Reply]
HemiEd 04:56 PM Today
Originally Posted by DaFace:
To be fair, the money isn't gone, it's just not spent yet. There's no question it's been minimal progress though.
What I want to know is, will an all electric vehicle "peel out?" (50s term for smoking the tires or doing a burnout)
[Reply]
DaFace 05:07 PM Today
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
What I want to know is, will an all electric vehicle "peel out?" (50s term for smoking the tires or doing a burnout)
They definitely will due to the instant torque, but it's usually not near as fun since a vast majority are FWD.

I actually have to replace the tires on my wife's Leaf faster than I'd like because it's easy to burn a little rubber off the line.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:17 PM Today
Originally Posted by DaFace:
They definitely will due to the instant torque, but it's usually not near as fun since a vast majority are FWD.

I actually have to replace the tires on my wife's Leaf faster than I'd like because it's easy to burn a little rubber off the line.
Heard that is common, along with the weight of the cars wear out tires faster.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 13
« First < 289101112 13 >
Up