ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 116 of 469
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126166216 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:48 PM 05-25-2022
1B - Pasquantino
2B - Nicky
SS - Bobby
3B - Rivera
C - Salvy/Melendez
DH - Salvy/Melendez
LF - Pratto
CF - Isbel
RF - Olivares

Make Dozier your main bench player & Blanco your 4th OF.
Release Santana and Ohearn.
Trade Benintendi and Merrifield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:25 PM 05-25-2022
Originally Posted by nychief:
Wait...are we saying there is bad roster construction? NO WAY?!?!
A lot of has to do with injuries.

Mondi one they were prepared for. Olivares came in right field, Whit to 2nd. Boom solid.

Olivares getting hurt through it a little more in whack. Riveria comes up, BWJ to SS, Lopez to 2nd, Whit back to RF. It works gets two players into natural long term positions.

Cam getting hurt and bringing MJ up throws things out of a wack. Salvy still playing so MJ's limited. Salvy getting hurt - MJ full time starter, which is good but shit throws roster construction out of wack.

Santana is just keeping Pratto's spot warm until he is fully ready. Last year of deal throw away in trade or DFA. No biggie there.

Royals essentially just have too many assets at C and 1B. Perez, MJ, Dozier, Pratto and Vinny. Got to move some of them at some point.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:40 PM 05-25-2022
Time to make some trades.

[Reply]
ROYC75 11:35 AM 05-26-2022
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Per usual, many here are not being honest (or perhaps they just don't get the reality) about potential trade results. The time to have traded Whit (get why they didn't, and I like watching him play) was a year or two ago. You are getting next to nothing for him now. You are getting absolutely nothing for Mondesi. You might get the lotteriest of lottery tickets for Dozier. Bennintendi (sp?) would fetch you something decent ish. You can't nor should you nor will you trade Salvy. That's it. Other then the untouchable youngsters, there is not much worth anything here.
Speaking on reality (trade results ), you are correct in so many ways.

However 1 step farther away from all that is, getting nothing for them and holding the kids back!

Time to cut bait and let the kids play while you work on the pitching!
[Reply]
Mecca 11:37 AM 05-26-2022
You couldn't trade Salvy if you wanted to, he's in year 1 of an 80 million dollar deal, very few teams will want that.
[Reply]
ROYC75 11:43 AM 05-26-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
You couldn't trade Salvy if you wanted to, he's in year 1 of an 80 million dollar deal, very few teams will want that.
And that my friend is the Royal problem we have! But Salvy's days are limited and we are locked into him for a while!

The other issues we have, we just need to go ahead and get them out of the way now!
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:47 AM 05-26-2022
https://intothefountains.substack.co...-fire-40-games

Dumpster fire at the quarter point

The front office got the Royals to this point. Should you believe in them to get them out?

Craig Brown

Originally Posted by :
We made it.

We officially passed the magical 40-game point of the baseball season that Royals president Dayton Moore emphasizes as the moment where he can accurately assess his squad and make the necessary adjustments going forward.

Allow me to provide an accurate assessment of these now 42 games from the Royals:

They stink.

They have lost an American League-high 28 games and are currently riding a six-game losing streak. The fact this is their first losing streak of that many games with so many losses already in their account is somewhat amazing. As Rany Jazayerli tweeted out, this is the longest they’ve gone since 2016 with a losing streak this long. Most seasons they don’t get out of April without at least a six-game losing streak. This year, they made it almost to the end of May.

Progress.

Speaking of progress, what exactly was I thinking heading into this season? I want to say that I saw this coming, but sadly, I was too busy adjusting my blinders. It feels like I have failed as an analyst. I have to wear this. This was a club that finished 11th in OBP, 13th in slugging percentage and 13th in runs scored in the AL in 2021; their lone move to bolster the lineup was the promotion of Bobby Witt Jr. to the big leagues. Don’t get me wrong…Bobby Witt Jr. is going to be a successful ballplayer. But the dude alone is not enough to pull this offense out of the abyss.

Isn’t that wild? Moore and general manager J.J. Picollo looked at the roster and thought that Salvador Perez at age 32 would probably slug .540 again, Carlos Santana would bounce back from a hip injury to provide above-average offensive production and Whit Merrifield could outfox Father Time. Oh, and Ryan O’Hearn is a major league hitter.

The reality is this: before Perez was injured he was one of the worst hitters on the team with a 79 wRC+, suffering through a severe power outage. Santana most decidedly has not rebounded and has been worse than Perez with a 75 wRC+. Merrifield, after an awful start, is showing signs of life, collecting at least one base hit in 15 of his last 16 games. The statistical hole he dug for himself in April means he will need to stay hot in June if he’s going to claw back to league average production overall.

And O’Hearn is O’Hearn.

Over the last couple of weeks, the Royals’ offense hasn’t been all that bad. It’s still bad, just not that bad. Their collective 97 wRC+ in the last 14 games is a tick below average. Merrifield has supplied plenty of the juice, but he’s had help from Witt Jr. (140 wRC+ in the last 14 days), Emmanuel Rivera (154 wRC+) and the ever-steady Andrew Benintendi (168 wRC+).

They’ve averaged 5.2 runs per game in the last two weeks. They were scoring 3 R/G just ahead of this stretch and ranked 29th in the majors in run scoring. Today, they’re up to 3.7 R/G, ranked 24th. For this club, that counts as an explosion.

It’s the pitching that’s torpedoed their chances at victory.

Those numbers encompass the entire season and they’re awful. The pitchers don’t strike out anyone, walk everyone and basically act as a machine-pitch staff for an eight-year-old C team.

We saw this on display over the last three games. In each contest, the Royals at one point had a win expectancy greater than 80 percent. Including a 99 percent win expectancy on Sunday in the seventh inning against the Twins. We know how that ended.

Sorry for bringing it up.

The Royals changed their hitting coach yet continue to employ an arsonist as the pitching coach. Watching a mound visit followed by a home run is a helluva thing.

The bullpen kept this team in so many games in April where the offense couldn’t muster a thing. So the hitting starts to come around and the bullpen runs out of gas. As you were.

The Royals, as a franchise did not make any moves on their day off Wednesday. Vinnie Pasquantino, however, continued to make a statement.

In 180 plate appearances in Triple-A (his first turn through the league) Pasquantino has walked 24 times against 26 strikeouts. The rates mirror what he’s done at stops in the complex leagues, Single-A and Double-A. The dude has elite plate discipline and a rock-steady approach. With the two dingers he crushed on Wednesday, he now has 12 on the year for the Storm Chasers. That surpasses the 11 he bashed for Double-A Northwest Arkansas in 237 plate appearances last year. He’s making a mockery of the league.

When I’m asked, “why isn’t Pasquantino on the team?” my rote reply is that he isn’t on the 40-man roster and there really isn’t room the way the Royals have constructed their roster and that patience is probably the way to go. What the hell? I’m not on the Royals payroll. That’s a ridiculous answer. Can you believe I’m allowed to have a newsletter?

The real answer is, the Royals haven’t got a clue what they’re doing when it comes to building a roster. They’ve boxed themselves in with veterans they are too stubborn to release, or players who should be journeymen have found a home in Kansas City and are clogging the roster.

We are now five years into the rebuild. The question shouldn’t be “Why isn’t Player X on the team yet?” It should be “If they ever get back to contention, who will be contributing?” Carlos Santana is not going to be in Kansas City past his contract expiring at the end of this year. His presence is only robbing younger players of plate appearances and he’s the Royals’ sunk cost fallacy. His spot should go to those very younger players who should be part of the future, like Pasquantino. Or Nick Pratto, who after a slow start, is burning up Triple-A. Again.

But then, ever since returning from the IL, Santana has played first base basically every other day. The other reps at the position have gone to Hunter Dozier, who is one of the few Royals in this lineup who actually has shown improvement over the previous season. Dozier is hitting .266/.325/.455 with a 125 wRC+. If he can maintain that production, it would be the best season of his career by wRC+.

Fine. Santana goes. So does O’Hearn. Dozier really shouldn’t be on the field—his best position is DH. If you bring up Pasquantino and Pratto, only one of those dudes can play first at a time. (I’m fairly certain this is in the rulebook.) And then what about when Perez returns from the IL? Where does Melendez play on days he’s not behind the plate? Pratto has been working in the outfield at both corner positions, but that’s currently the domain of Benintendi and Merrifield. How have we made it this far without mentioning Kyle Isbel, who has been scorching the baseball of late?

The Royals have somehow created a roster log jam where mediocrity seems like the best-case scenario. Play the kids! But how do you shoehorn Pasquantino, Pratto and Melendez into a roster with Perez, Benintendi and Merrifield? Moore has talked about being “transactional” and by damn, it’s time to actually put up, you know? Skim back four paragraphs to my question about who will be around when the Royals are actually ready to contend. It won’t be Benintendi, who is a free agent at season’s end. Time for some transactional transactions. He has to be shopped and shopped now. Sure, it’s early and the Royals won’t get what they think they should, and removing him from the lineup will weaken the club in the short term, but these kids need to play.

The front office needs to figure out the best way to make that happen. Given their track record, do you trust them to make the right decisions? This should be a time of hope and anticipation. Instead, it’s just all too familiar.

There’s an institutional rot around this club. Sure you’d love to see changes, but they’re not forthcoming. We’re stuck. Firing a pitching coach so soon after dismissing the hitting coach smells of panic and panic isn’t in Moore’s playbook. It’s also something of an admission of administrative ineptitude. Not happening with this crew.

Moore isn’t in danger. Same for Picollo. They were just promoted to their current positions less than a year ago. I’m not sure what the purpose is of the ownership group, but they’re not pulling the plug when they’ve sat on their hands for the three years they’ve had control of the club. Pandemics and labor wars aren’t an excuse when every team is dealing with the same issues. Charge $30 for parking and cry me a river. Sherman’s group will make their money back when they get that downtown stadium built on the taxpayer dime.

The print wags will breathlessly extoll the new power structure, telling us that without the prodding from Picollo, the hitting coach move wouldn’t have been made, but come on…The reality is, it’s the same as the old structure. They’re responsible for the current mess and they’re not going anywhere. I don’t believe in their abilities to get the Royals out of it. It’s a rather grim cycle.

Their .333 winning percentage calculates to a 54-108 record over the full season.

It’s year five.

[Reply]
cabletech94 11:56 AM 05-26-2022
After reading the above, I need to poop. Or puke. Maybe both.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:57 AM 05-26-2022
They suck at evaluating pitching, they also have made absolutely idiotic free agent moves that block prospects...

This team likely won't be anything until they admit Dayton Moore's time has passed.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:04 PM 05-26-2022
Save Our Royals time.

[Reply]
sedated 03:34 PM 05-26-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I thought there was an analyst recently on the radio that said we could get a "haul" for Salvy.

I'd think its somewhere in the middle. Contract is pretty decent for a great catcher but maybe not a 32 year old. He just hit 48 homeruns, has been one of the best in baseball at a valued position his entire career. But he's a 32 year old catcher, and not everyone can be Molina.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:38 PM 05-26-2022
Instead of cutting ot trading OHearn or Santana. The Kansas City Royals baseball team has decided to bring up AAAA player Brewer Hicklin to strikeout alot. Expect him to hit .209 and strikeout about 50% of his at bats.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 03:39 PM 05-26-2022
Brewer Hicklin starting in center tonight. What happened to Blanco? Hicklin has struck out 70 times in 150 ABs at AAA. This club doesn't need anymore Ks from anybody!!!!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:51 PM 05-26-2022
Yeah, time to see if that talk about being "transactional" is real or bullshit.

If you're being transactional, you're trading Andrew Benintendi at the trade deadline. The Twins and Brewers are good candidates/landing spots for him.

If you're being transactional, you find a team that can use Whit Merrifield. The Angels actually make a TON of sense as a potential matchup here. They've gotten atrocious production from 2B, and Merrifield's presence would allow them to either shift their star hitters down a slot (if he's vintage Whit and worthy of hitting 1) or improve production at the bottom of the lineup, to better setup Ohtani and Trout the second time through the order.

While you're talking to the Angels, you see if they want to bring on Brad Keller. They need pitching depth, Keller is good and durable, and it would work well in their park. Can you sneak Jo Adell into the deal from the Angels' side (with Trout, Brandon Marsh, Taylor Ward, their future in the OF looks fairly set, Adell has struggled, and Ohtani is their future at DH)? Worth dreaming on and worth starting there.

^ Throw Scott Barlow to whatever team will take the risk Matheny has already destroyed his arm and pray he passes the physical. Angels would work here, too.

And then there's the big one. Salvador Perez. Will they trade him? I don't think so and would be shocked, actually.

Could they trade him?

I think the Mets would be motivated to add him. The salary range isn't going to be a problem for them (and it is essentially a 3/$62M deal after this year, which is not bad, really). Even with Francisco Alvarez on the horizon, he's still a ways away and the Mets are contenders this year.

And again... it's a hard sell for an executive who's trying to keep his job.

If you're the front office head, and you've sold your owner on being close to contention and having the team and the coaching staff to lead them there... and in the season you had told me it would start coming together, all of a sudden all the coaches need to go and you're selling the key parts of the team for future parts...

Hard to smile, say go ahead, and keep trusting the front office at that point.

I think the only deals we'll actually see will be Benintendi and maybe Barlow (if Mike Matheny hasn't finished ruining him by then).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:54 PM 05-26-2022
Alvarez and Melendez have so much juice in their bat that either guy can DH or be converted to 1b if necessary. Melendez at least has the baseline athleticism to play in the corners or maybe (BIG maybe) at 3b.

If you could get Alvarez for Perez you RUN to the fax machine to sign off on that one.

I doubt you could, though.
[Reply]
Page 116 of 469
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126166216 > Last »
Up