Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Media Center>Oppenheimer
Donger 12:06 PM 12-19-2022
I'm in. :-)

[Reply]
Buehler445 06:06 AM 07-29-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, LeMay was a 'damn the toraudioes' sort. His answer was pretty much always to attempt overwhelming force.

He's stayed under the historical radar but man he was in the middle of a lot of major conflicts. And honestly, he may well have been the best man for the job in many of those instances, especially when he wasn't someone (like MacArthur) who was such a hot head that he couldn't be tempered at all. LeMay would listen to contrasting positions even if he didn't agree. And if given an order, he'd obey it.

I like LeMay, but when unchecked he was...aggressive.
Yeah, I can’t remember where I heard/read about the firebombing. Maybe in Hardcore History, he’ll I don’t remember. But frankly, the shit sounded worse than being nuked, frankly. Fucking fire bombs created “thermal vortexes?” I can’t think of much more terrifying than a fucking fire tornado. I’d rather be vaporized at ground zero.

You should read the General and the Genius. It is only about the Manhattan Project but I found it fascinating. I can’t recommend the book enough. Age of Radiance was in my audible wishlist and I didn’t remember why. It must have been your recommendation. I went ahead and bought it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:25 AM 07-29-2023
The movie was good. Wasn’t what I was expecting, but did a nice job of showing detail but fast forwarding though the unnecessary stuff.

There are so many datapoints they could have hit, Nolan deserves credit for a quality story edit.

Much of that story I didn’t know. And I don’t know how much is factually or conceptually true, but it made for a good movie. I think it was really prudent that they showed his shortcomings (lab, math, etc.)

Nolan’s obviously a master behind the camera. And you could tell this was practical. I think I heard there was 0 CGI. That’s great. And it felt. I think, much like the discussion in the Barbenheimer threads I think it shows the audience is ready for something new. Pundits are quick to shit on super hero movies, but that’s revisionist bullshit. There is no understating what Marvel did, but times change.

Another component I really liked is that 1. nuance exists and 2. People can change. In a world where a decade old tweet taken out of context will make the crazies want to burn down your whole life, I think it’s a good message to get out there.

I’m a sucker for nuclear, this time period and Oppenheimer, and this was a hell of a good watch for me. I even convinced my wife to go and she even liked it, although she freely admits she didn’t pay enough attention to it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 07:42 AM 07-29-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah, I can’t remember where I heard/read about the firebombing. Maybe in Hardcore History, he’ll I don’t remember. But frankly, the shit sounded worse than being nuked, frankly. Fucking fire bombs created “thermal vortexes?” I can’t think of much more terrifying than a fucking fire tornado. I’d rather be vaporized at ground zero.

You should read the General and the Genius. It is only about the Manhattan Project but I found it fascinating. I can’t recommend the book enough. Age of Radiance was in my audible wishlist and I didn’t remember why. It must have been your recommendation. I went ahead and bought it.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to find that. Not sure if it exists in Kindle form but it's not at either library I have online so I may need to head into the building for a paper copy.

Try Gladwell's Bomber Mafia - audible if possible because it's better as listened than as read because he splices in actual interviews, etc...

The description of the firebombing and Japans reaction is amazing. I'll have to see if Carlin has something on it - I wonder if it's in Supernova. I never finished that series so I probably should
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:25 PM 07-29-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to find that. Not sure if it exists in Kindle form but it's not at either library I have online so I may need to head into the building for a paper copy.

Try Gladwell's Bomber Mafia - audible if possible because it's better as listened than as read because he splices in actual interviews, etc...

The description of the firebombing and Japans reaction is amazing. I'll have to see if Carlin has something on it - I wonder if it's in Supernova. I never finished that series so I probably should
Audible is where I listened to the General and the Genius in Audible so surely it is on Kindle. Audible recommends Bomber Mafia but I hadn’t heard much other than something on Rogan so I didn’t give it a listen. I’ll do that though. I just added the Hamilton book by Chernow which is like 36 hours long so I have a que stacking up.

I bet it was in Supernova. And you should finish it. That’s a better one from Carlin. Coincidentally someone told me that a bunch of episodes are on Apple Music of all places so I’ve worked through a lot of the older ones recently. And yeah Supernova is good.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:06 PM 07-29-2023
I wonder if I still have my free audible account. I'll go hunting for it at some point.
[Reply]
Stryker 05:40 PM 07-29-2023
Saw this today and it was AWESOME! I think Clay just had a bad experience. The theater I saw it in was in Dolby Atmos so sound was crisp. No issues with background music being too loud at all. I do see what Clay means about the dialogue being so close together but it did not bother me at all and was able to follow along with no problem. Really enjoyed this movie :-)

UPDATE: I am going to go see this movie again. It really is that good! I think it is going to be getting a TON of Oscars.
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:59 PM 07-29-2023
Watched it today. Really enjoyed it. The bomb detonation scene was intense. Gave me goosebumps thinking what those people went through prior to and during the detonation.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:13 PM 07-30-2023
A definite return to form for Nolan after Tenet. I expect this one is also going to be very rewarchable.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 06:34 PM 07-30-2023
Saw it in IMAX at Legends AMC today. Really liked it; excellent work all around.

The IMAX experience was definitely worth it for this one. The visuals and SOUND were incredible.
[Reply]
Stryker 09:19 PM 07-30-2023
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Watched it today. Really enjoyed it. The bomb detonation scene was intense. Gave me goosebumps thinking what those people went through prior to and during the detonation.
I loved the line - "We are going to have to move further back" :-)
[Reply]
Stryker 09:22 PM 07-30-2023
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Completely agree - it was surreal and a realization at the same time - we DO NOT want this to happen! Ending scene was incredible as well - we have the power to DESTROY ourselves - scary as fuck!
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:36 PM 07-30-2023
Originally Posted by Stryker:
I loved the line - "We are going to have to move further back" :-)
There was some funny ass jokes in there.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:53 PM 08-05-2023
I waited to see this one until the 70mm version was in my town. I can see why this is a big hit. It tells a good story. Well directed, acted etc. it’s going to sweep the Oscar’s.

There use to be these kind of movies made all the time. Now, it’s all super heroes, franchise Movies and an occasional rom-com. Very glad to see this type of movie.

The New Mexico landscape scenes were a amazing in the 70mm format. It was a big theatre and it’s sold out for a week ahead of time.
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 09:49 AM 08-06-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Audible is where I listened to the General and the Genius in Audible so surely it is on Kindle. Audible recommends Bomber Mafia but I hadn’t heard much other than something on Rogan so I didn’t give it a listen. I’ll do that though. I just added the Hamilton book by Chernow which is like 36 hours long so I have a que stacking up.

I bet it was in Supernova. And you should finish it. That’s a better one from Carlin. Coincidentally someone told me that a bunch of episodes are on Apple Music of all places so I’ve worked through a lot of the older ones recently. And yeah Supernova is good.
It is in Supernova. That and Blueprint for Armageddon are quite gripping.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:36 AM 08-06-2023
Originally Posted by Dallas Chief:
It is in Supernova. That and Blueprint for Armageddon are quite gripping.
Blueprint was the first time I listened to Carlin. That’s probably my favorite podcast ever.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up