ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 104 of 160
« First < 45494100101102103104 105106107108114154 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading
big nasty kcnut 10:37 PM 03-11-2006
I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:11 PM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
Impressive that you can game as hardcore as you do and still read a lot.
It's not that impressive. I don't do much but eat, sleep, game, read and work.

I do count audiobooks as 'reading', and this year they made the great majority of my reading list (about 70-30 audio versus paper).

Want to do more print in 2011. And less video games.

If I'd get off my computer more, I'd probably read 200 books a year (in print).
[Reply]
Dunit35 09:30 AM 12-25-2010
Halfway through "the Pacific" this book is good. I recieved "With the Old Breed" from my fiance for xmas. I am pretty pumped about reading it.
[Reply]
Spicy McHaggis 10:52 AM 12-25-2010
Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. First book I've read of his, decent entertainment.

Also took in Joe Abercrombie's stand-alone novel Best Served Cold. Enjoyed it, and genuinely laughed out loud a couple times at the dark humor of it (which made me feel a bit more twisted than normal). I feel like he explored the same concepts he did in the First Law Trilogy without taking them all that much further though.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:41 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis:
Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. First book I've read of his, decent entertainment.

Also took in Joe Abercrombie's stand-alone novel Best Served Cold. Enjoyed it, and genuinely laughed out loud a couple times at the dark humor of it (which made me feel a bit more twisted than normal). I feel like he explored the same concepts he did in the First Law Trilogy without taking them all that much further though.
American Gods was decent, although I couldnt shake that "almost, but not quite great" feeling with it.

The Abercrombie book sounds like something I've been in the mood to read lately.
[Reply]
Huffman83 12:46 PM 12-25-2010
I picked up Tokyo Vice yesterday. So far it's a pretty cool True Crime book. Author is from Missouri and was a crime beat writer for a Japanese newspaper. He apparently got wrapped up in some info that the Yakuza didn't like. And you know how much they don't like stuff like that!
[Reply]
Reaper16 12:51 PM 12-25-2010
Christmas presents!
Quotidiana - Essays by Patrick Madden
Neck Deep and Other Predicaments by Ander Monson
Vanishing Point: Not A Memoir by Ander Monson
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls by Alissa Nutting
Elegies for the Brokenhearted by Christie Hodgen
[Reply]
stevieray 01:06 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Christmas presents!
Quotidiana - Essays by Patrick Madden
Neck Deep and Other Predicaments by Ander Monson
Vanishing Point: Not A Memoir by Ander Monson
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls by Alissa Nutting
Elegies for the Brokenhearted by Christie Hodgen
how to dress like gumby's ho/Reaper16
Attached: barry.bmp (612.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Reaper16 01:47 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by stevieray:
how to dress like gumby's ho/Reaper16
Who sent that to you, Stevie? :-) We're not Facebook friends as far as I know. Seems like a very strange post to bring that out, unless you find literature offensive or something.

I ain't no bitch like Billay, though. I don't care that this was posted, mostly because I clearly have no biceps to be proud of.
[Reply]
Spicy McHaggis 01:58 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by Bowser:
American Gods was decent, although I couldnt shake that "almost, but not quite great" feeling with it.
Pretty much. I enjoyed the premise more than the execution.
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 06:30 PM 12-25-2010
Just bought myself 'Thieves Like Us' by Edward Anderson, for my Kindle.

Finished Black Hole by Charles Burns last night. Kind of weird, but impressive in it's own way.
[Reply]
jiveturkey 04:56 PM 01-03-2011
Just finished The Athena Project by Brad Thor - basically a team of special ops bitches that go around the world kicking ass.

Just started the Hunger Games.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:16 AM 01-06-2011
I'm making another attempt to slog through Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces. I picked it up about a year ago, and while the idea of the monomyth grabs my imagination, the book itself clearly did not; I couldn't make it more than a couple of pages on my initial effort.

(It's better than Tylenol PM if any of you ever have problems sleeping.)

But I've managed to make it through Chapter 1 this time around, and I'm going to keep soldiering on.
[Reply]
JOhn 05:01 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Halfway through "the Pacific" this book is good. I recieved "With the Old Breed" from my fiance for xmas. I am pretty pumped about reading it.
The best bok ever written about the Marines in WW2
:-):-)
[Reply]
ILChief 08:07 AM 01-08-2011
I'm about half way through "The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy" by Bill Carter. So far it's pretty good. A good look into the whole Conan/Leno Tonight Show fiasco.
[Reply]
Gracie Dean 08:37 AM 01-08-2011
Just finished Street Player My Chicago Story by Danny Serephine pretty good inside information on the Group Chicago
[Reply]
Page 104 of 160
« First < 45494100101102103104 105106107108114154 > Last »
Up