ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
O.city 10:54 AM 12-07-2021
Just lead Pringle with a normal throw and don't try to get cute with it.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 11:02 AM 12-07-2021
I bet Eric is calling the plays. Andy was probably sick if he doesn’t call the plays that’s why he’s not getting a Head coaching Job.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:11 AM 12-07-2021
I understand concerns of the rolling pocket. If you've got a HoF QB, I don't like cutting the field in half for the defense. The big issue is, Mahomes is not playing like the HoF lock he has been so.. maybe it's not such a bad option every once in a while.

I don't understand the need for a max protect look against a four man front, though, I will say that. That's effectively a 5 or 6 man box and we had 7 guys blocking. On the surface, it seems like a waste of resources.

But the more I look at this play specifically, I think it turned out perfectly for us.

We got them to commit two defenders to cover Demarcus Robinson lol that's a win for us any day of the week.

Also, the combination of the rolling pocket (brought the ILB #56 out of his zone) and clear out route by Robinson resulted in a wide open middle of the field.

That is a huge throwing lane there for the QB. He's got his feet set and everything, yet he still tries to sidearm one in a tight window for no apparent reason. You can see the ball isn't even deflected by #56 on the defense- it bounces off of Wylie's arm!

I'd lay the blame for this failure purely at Mahomes' feet. He makes a normal ass pass there and that one goes for 20+.
[Reply]
wachashi 11:16 AM 12-07-2021
I'm not sure there's going to be a huge difference between what EB calls and what Reid calls.

The offense is designed by Reid. He creates the weekly game plan and selects the shortlist of plays and protections that will exploit an opponent's weakness. The laminated chart both Reid and EB have and the play design is Reid's genius. Playcalling is just implementing the game plan for the most part.

Execution (drops, penalties) is about 100x more impactful than whether Reid or EB is calling the plays.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:42 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by wachashi:
I'm not sure there's going to be a huge difference between what EB calls and what Reid calls.
Disagree. Timing is essential. Context is essential. Understanding the other defense & what they are trying to do is essential. Any single play can succeed or fail based on these other criteria.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 12:53 PM 12-07-2021
It is amazing when you re-watch the AFC Championship Game vs Buffalo how much of that offensive game plan and play calls have not been consistently part of the Chiefs offense this season to-date.

Jet sweeps, reverses, a commitment to the short/quick passing game for the duration of an entire game and not just the first drive, etc.

That game featured basically the exact same personnel as the current offense... only now with a better offensive line (also remember no Sammy Watkins in that game).
[Reply]
O.city 01:16 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
It is amazing when you re-watch the AFC Championship Game vs Buffalo how much of that offensive game plan and play calls have not been consistently part of the Chiefs offense this season to-date.

Jet sweeps, reverses, a commitment to the short/quick passing game for the duration of an entire game and not just the first drive, etc.

That game featured basically the exact same personnel as the current offense... only now with a better offensive line (also remember no Sammy Watkins in that game).
Yeah, I went back and watched that. Baffling to me we don't see that now it just tore up the Bills.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:47 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, I went back and watched that. Baffling to me we don't see that now it just tore up the Bills.
You would think a lot of that would be beneficial to a new line, like the quick strikes. But we havent done hardly any of it this season.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 02:54 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
You would think a lot of that would be beneficial to a new line, like the quick strikes. But we havent done hardly any of it this season.
I watched a video a couple weeks ago where someone brought that up. IIRC, they claimed that teams have figured out the formula to our quick strike RPO game. They broke it down way better than i can recite, but the jist of it was that teams are sitting on some of the RPO/hot route concepts that the Chiefs used a ton of last season to dink and dunk, and now they have to come up with new ways to dink and dunk, as their shit from last year had been figured out and wasn't working this season.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:59 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I watched a video a couple weeks ago where someone brought that up. IIRC, they claimed that teams have figured out the formula to our quick strike RPO game. They broke it down way better than i can recite, but the jist of it was that teams are sitting on some of the RPO/hot route concepts that the Chiefs used a ton of last season to dink and dunk, and now they have to come up with new ways to dink and dunk, as their shit from last year had been figured out and wasn't working this season.
I dont buy it. Change up the RPO routes or something. Or, follow me, actually run out of it sometimes and keep them honest.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:23 PM 12-07-2021
So, I don’t know if I buy the Bieniemy playcalling thing. A lot of our tendencies scream Andy Reid. But, maybe it reminds us of a time when our offense struggled mightily because it was rumored pederson took over playcalling as a tryout. Maybe some truth to bieniemy having a heavy hand in playcalling that will go largely back to Reid once we get deeper into this thing.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 05:27 PM 12-07-2021
It's hard to say that playcalling is a problem, when if you were to simply erase the drops, this team is scoring in the high 20s per game again.

Penalties have derailed some possessions, but if you just took all of the just utterly Bush League drops by this team and if you simply cut the tip drill picks by HALF, nobody is dogging the offense or playcalling except in the normal head scratching situations that can happen with Andy at times.

By and large, the gameplans and playcalling have been fine. Guys are getting open, and we either have a situation of a drop, catch/fumble, tipdrill pick, or a flat out misfire by Mahomes.

It cannot be overstated how much drops and volleyballs have hurt this offense. 8 volleyball interceptions. What's the record on that, if we dont hold it already?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:37 PM 12-07-2021
In the AFC Championship Buffalo played 2 deep and we destroyed them with our RPO game.

Teams are adjusting by playing the pass part of the RPO and keeping their linebackers back while jamming up our RPO passing windows.

In the KC Buffalo game this year that was Buffalo's adjustment. And Reid couldn't find the right counter while our defense was giving up 50 yard pass plays over and over.
[Reply]
tredadda 07:22 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
It's hard to say that playcalling is a problem, when if you were to simply erase the drops, this team is scoring in the high 20s per game again.

Penalties have derailed some possessions, but if you just took all of the just utterly Bush League drops by this team and if you simply cut the tip drill picks by HALF, nobody is dogging the offense or playcalling except in the normal head scratching situations that can happen with Andy at times.

By and large, the gameplans and playcalling have been fine. Guys are getting open, and we either have a situation of a drop, catch/fumble, tipdrill pick, or a flat out misfire by Mahomes.

It cannot be overstated how much drops and volleyballs have hurt this offense. 8 volleyball interceptions. What's the record on that, if we dont hold it already?
It's also hard to dismiss this as all a product of drops. No doubt that drops play a role in it, but that is too easy to chalk up as the reason for the offensive slowdown. Same with penalties. It's not like 2018-2020 these receivers had stick-um on their hands. They dropped balls then as well. Also a holding penalty was a way to pad Mahomes stats, while this year It's devastating. Lastly we look like the offense of old during the so called scripted plays at the beginning of each game. It's after that the offense seems to grind to a halt. Can't blame all of that on dropped passes or even turnovers. This offense went from one capable of scoring 28 in a quarter to being lucky to score that in a game.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:46 PM 12-07-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
It's also hard to dismiss this as all a product of drops. No doubt that drops play a role in it, but that is too easy to chalk up as the reason for the offensive slowdown. Same with penalties. It's not like 2018-2020 these receivers had stick-um on their hands. They dropped balls then as well. Also a holding penalty was a way to pad Mahomes stats, while this year It's devastating. Lastly we look like the offense of old during the so called scripted plays at the beginning of each game. It's after that the offense seems to grind to a halt. Can't blame all of that on dropped passes or even turnovers. This offense went from one capable of scoring 28 in a quarter to being lucky to score that in a game.
Not necessarily. Did you see the graph I posted in here? Tyreek and Kelce are 1 and 2 in players who have cost their team the most points with drops. Most teams only have one player on the list, our 2 best weapons are 1 and 2. That says a lot about what’s going on. The drops, and the tipped/batted interceptions are killing us.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Up