ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Vote for your top FOUR centers.
Jack Rudnay-171 Starts & 4 Pro Bowls 55 80.88%
Tim Grunhard-164 Starts & 1 Pro Bowls 59 86.76%
Casey Wiegmann-143 Starts 41 60.29%
Jon Gilliam-73 Starts & 1 Pro Bowls 2 2.94%
Creed Humphrey-51 Starts & 2 Pro Bowls 62 91.18%
Mitch Morse-49 Starts 12 17.65%
Bob Rush-47 Starts 0 0%
Rodney Hudson-35 Starts 11 16.18%
E.J. Holub-34 Starts 5 7.35%
Austin Reiter-32 Starts 1 1.47%
Rudy Niswanger-31 Starts 0 0%
Mike Webster-23 Starts 5 7.35%
I wouldn't desecrate a mountain for any of these guys. 1 1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll
Nzoner's Game Room>Mt. Rushmore by Position - Centers
Rain Man 06:05 PM 07-26-2024
We have way too many great players to limit our discussion to just one Mount Rushmore, so I thought it would be good to discuss the Mount Rushmore by position.

Here's how I'll post them up.

If a position has one person on the field (e.g., quarterback, center, tight end), the Mount Rushmore will have four players.

If a position has two people on the field (e.g., cornerback, offensive tackle, wide receiver), the Mount Rushmore will have eight players.

If a position has a varied history of one or two people on the field (e.g., defensive tackle, running back, inside linebacker), the Mount Rushmore will have six players.

The wide receiver Rushmore will have ten players since they've varied between two and three people on the field.

I'll put up a poll that will contain three times the number of available slots at a minimum. The candidates will include the players with the most career starts at that position, plus any player who ever made a pro bowl.

I'll use PFR as a reference, and will manually change any positions that are obviously an error (e.g., they list Joe Valerio as a center for some reason).

We'll start with an easy one: center.

Vote for FOUR to go on this Mount Rushmore.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:10 PM 07-26-2024
My votes:

Rudnay and Grunhard are obvious choices.

Surprisingly, I think Creed is an easy choice despite being early in his career.

My final vote came down to Wiegmann, Gilliam, and Holub. Gilliam has a pro bowl, but those were cheaper in an 8-team AFL. Wiegmann has a ton of starts. Holub centered for a Super Bowl winner. It's a tough call, but my final slot goes to Holub.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 06:18 PM 07-26-2024
In no particular order...

Holub
Humphrey
Rudnay
Webster (ya, he wasn't around long, but he helped turn the whole thing around at that time)
[Reply]
Cheater5 06:19 PM 07-26-2024
Bit of trivia; when I was eleven years old I met Jack Rudnay at a funeral of all things. My classmate was struck and killed by a truck while walking to school, and I think Rudnay was friends with his father.

Anyway, love the original #58.

Grunhard was a caveman in pads and deserved more recognition than he got; that 90s offensive line was doooooom.
[Reply]
Bump 07:26 PM 07-26-2024
ya I don't think there's any question for which 4 should be on it
[Reply]
BWillie 10:06 PM 07-26-2024
I am surprised Weigman is so low
[Reply]
jdubya 10:15 PM 07-26-2024
Jim Otto
[Reply]
RedinTexas 11:01 PM 07-26-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My votes:

Rudnay and Grunhard are obvious choices.

Surprisingly, I think Creed is an easy choice despite being early in his career.

My final vote came down to Wiegmann, Gilliam, and Holub. Gilliam has a pro bowl, but those were cheaper in an 8-team AFL. Wiegmann has a ton of starts. Holub centered for a Super Bowl winner. It's a tough call, but my final slot goes to Holub.
I was a kid when the Chiefs won Super Bowl 4. Holub was one of my favorite players. He was on the defense in Super Bowl 1. I think Holub was more of a great team-guy and teammate, than he was a great center. God Bless him, I loved him, and may he RIP, but I don't think EJ was so much a great center as he was someone you loved to have on the team.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 06:20 AM 07-27-2024
Keep overlooking Rudy and his Niswanger
[Reply]
Otter 06:40 AM 07-27-2024
Creed is the quiet assassin.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:56 AM 07-27-2024
Uh, I don't see Jason Kelce.
[Reply]
Coogs 12:10 PM 07-27-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Uh, I don't see Jason Kelce.
He didn't play for the Chiefs. It's in the OP.

EDIT: Actually it is not in the OP. It was implied though I think by the choices and the recent Mount Rushmore topic here.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:16 PM 07-27-2024
Originally Posted by Coogs:
He didn't play for the Chiefs. It's in the OP.

EDIT: Actually it is not in the OP. It was implied though I think by the choices and the recent Mount Rushmore topic here.

Ah, Chiefs centers. Missed that bit. Thx for the heads up.
[Reply]
Up