ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>To extend Tyrann or not to...
BossChief 08:13 PM 04-06-2021
Tyrann posted something interesting today...

https://twitter.com/mathieu_era/stat...154661892?s=21

Tyrann

You cannot show me that I’m an option, I’ll show you I have others...

Sorry, not sure how to embed from iPhone.

That tweet can mean many things, but it could be correlated to his contract negotiations for an extension in KC that Veach has mentioned is a priority this offseason. It could be related to a relationship, family member, bowling league or wing eating contest.

It’s plausible that the tweet is a public response to the team not wanting to pay a massive AAV to re-sign Tyrann and using other free agent and draft options as reasons they don’t NEED to re-sign him (this is business, nothing more) to try to drive down the price.

Let’s talk about it...

Some pros of extending his contract:

Clears a nice chunk of cap space this offseason.
Keeps a leader in the locker room as well as in the secondary.
Continues to provide the defense with a guy that consistently takes the ball away.

Some cons to an extension for Tyrann:

Once he loses a step, he’s not going to be nearly as effective at his size, he’s already not a burner. He will still be good due to prep snd instincts, but will be beaten more once he loses a step.
Any extension would start after he turns 30. He’s currently signed through age 29 this year.
Judging from his last contract negotiation with us, he wants top of the market money. Most likely a 3 year extension. Something close to 3/48. If structured right, I’d extend him for 3 years...even at that price. The structure would need to give the team options if he falls off.
[Reply]
eDave 01:36 AM 04-08-2021

No I’m switching to 21 year 10

— Tyrann Mathieu (@Mathieu_Era) April 7, 2021

[Reply]
HemiEd 06:14 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
He doesn't seem like he'd hold out. Who knows...Draft that dude out of USC and move on from him if he does.

He's a safety....not a QB.

Losing him would sting a little but you move on.

Chiefs have Mahomes...things aren't what they used to be.
I think Tyrann is integral to this defense and this team. Get him locked in longer please. They already let the most underrated player on the D go in Wilson. We don't need a reminder of what a poor Defense like Sutton D was like.
Mahomes is great but he doesn't play D and can't do it all. Remember the SB?
[Reply]
kccrow 12:01 PM 04-08-2021
He's a pretty key piece imo... I'd try to extend.

That said, it's a really solid safety draft in the middle rounds if Veach decides not to.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:06 PM 04-08-2021
I’ll be pretty pissed if Mathieu leaves before Clark.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:20 PM 04-08-2021
Although if they don’t extend Mathieu before the draft....I could see them grabbing a safety pretty high. Maybe Trevon Moehrig at #31.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:32 PM 04-08-2021
Lol at everyone thinking Mathieu won’t be extended ��
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:19 PM 04-08-2021
What does this mean?

I hate to break y’all heart but I will not be wearing #7. I have other plans, just stay on this journey with me it will all make sense. Every # is a personal choice & one that will tell a story.

— Tyrann Mathieu (@Mathieu_Era) April 9, 2021

[Reply]
BossChief 09:22 PM 04-08-2021
Freak out thinking he wants 21m per year because he wants to wear #21.

Go ahead.

Freak out.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:42 AM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
What does this mean?

He literally mentioned it like 5 posts above yours that’s he’s switching jersey number to 21. His mento was Pat P so he wants to honor him. I think Charles Woodson too
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:38 AM 04-19-2021
In his press conference today he says that he is not worried about money or any personal stats. Said that he doesn't know if there have been any conversations between the Chiefs and his agent as his agent would not call him or let him know anything until it was completed.
All those tweets had nothing to do with the speculation.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:41 AM 04-19-2021
He said he’s optimistic about a deal and says he wants to be a Chief for life
[Reply]
TribalElder 09:47 AM 06-17-2021

In what is perhaps a change of heart, Tyrann Mathieu said today he expects he will stay with Chiefs beyond the end of his contract that's in its last year. "I can't see me wearing any other uniform,'' he said.

— Adam Teicher (@adamteicher) June 17, 2021

Mahomie also mentioned something about wanting Tyrann to be in KC the whole time he is here.

#PayThisMan
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:53 AM 06-17-2021
If they get Brown done, they can franchise Matthieu. He'd definitely get paid in that scenario, at least for that year.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:57 AM 06-17-2021
Fuck Adam Teicher.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:06 AM 06-17-2021
The nice thing about this front office is I can see them extending Tyrann while giving them an out after 2 years and again after 3 Incase he falls off a cliff with injuries/age/losses a step/etc. they’ve been very smart about that.

If Tyrann wants an extension, he will need to be realistic about structure if he wants a long term deal for current value.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up