ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Jacksonville offers...
Alex Smith for a 2018 first round pick: (do not select this option) 11 14.67%
I would make that trade. 55 73.33%
I would not make that trade. 7 9.33%
Alex Smith for a 2018 2nd round pick: (do not select this option) 5 6.67%
I would make that trade. 26 34.67%
I would not make that trade. 30 40.00%
Alex Smith for a 2018 3rd round pick: (do not select this option) 4 5.33%
I would make that trade. 12 16.00%
I would not make that trade. 40 53.33%
Alex Smith for a pick on the 3rd day of the 2018 draft: (do not select this option) 5 6.67%
I would make that trade. 8 10.67%
I would not make that trade. 46 61.33%
Alex Smith for a 2019 first round pick: (do not select this option) 5 6.67%
I would make that trade. 33 44.00%
I would not make that trade. 20 26.67%
I would cut Alex Smith right now if you gave me the chance. Right now. 5 6.67%
I wouldn't trade Smith right now under any circumstances. 12 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's say Jacksonville calls.
Direckshun 10:07 AM 08-18-2017
This is a pointless hypothetical but it's August so who cares. Just have fun with this, folks.

Keep in mind that Alex Smith probably takes us to the playoffs this year.

Pat Mahomes has a learning year that very likely doesn't take us to the playoffs. Though he does have a very bright future.

I know many of you disagree with one or both of those sentences but I think that's a reasonable assessment of the two.

Jacksonville comes calling for Smith, and wants to trade us a draft pick.

What do you say?

Poll forthcoming.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 10:44 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Cochise:
Coachspeak... you always call it a competition even if it isn't. The bottom line is that they need to find out if they have anything in Bortles, and if they make a change it will be Henne. The only thing that doesn't make sense is for a 3-13 rebuilding team to trade picks for Alex Smith.
Weren't we a 2-14 rebuilding team that traded picks for Alex Smith?
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:45 AM 08-18-2017
Coachspeak... you always call it a competition even if it isn't. The bottom line is that they need to find out if they have anything in Bortles, and if they make a change it will be Henne. The only thing that doesn't make sense is for a 3-13 rebuilding team to trade picks for Alex Smith.
That's not coach speak. Bortles has been bad up to this point and from all accounts, he's only regressed.

This is a franchise that's been all in on Bortles from the beginning. They've lost patience to the point that they're giving 1st team reps to Henne.

See what they have in Bortles? He's been starting for years. They know what they have in Bortles. The whole damn country knows what they have in Bortles.

Blake Gabbert...err i mean Bortles, is done. Writing is on the wall.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 10:45 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by 65TPT:
I made my choices, but honestly think dumping him on the Jags would be unfair to Smith. I think he deserves more fair treatment than that.
Jaguars actually have a decent amount of talent right now. In a hypothetical world I actually could see Smith making them push in that division. TEN and HOU aren't locks for anything even if they are looking promising.
[Reply]
Coach 10:45 AM 08-18-2017
There are a lot of teams in the NFL that really needs a QB.

Jacksonville.
Buffalo (Taylor really blows).
Jets.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:46 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
If a team wants to give you a 2nd or higher, you take it. Alex will be gone regardless. You can get something in return or not. Why would you not take the pick? Makes no sense.

Stop being worried about "ruining" Mahomes. If he gets ruined by starting, then he was never meant to be in the first place.
Agreed.

Wentz and Dak weren't ruined and they played all year. Hell Goff was in the worst possible situation as a rookie and he's not ruined.

The guy that appears ruined in that class is Lynch, who had enormous question marks in the first place.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:47 AM 08-18-2017
The only thing that doesn't make sense is for a 3-13 rebuilding team to trade picks for Alex Smith.
The Jags are a lot like the Chiefs were. They have a good amount of talent on both sides of the ball but lack competent QB play.

The Jags, like the Chiefs, need a player to stabilize the position. Alex would do that.

Now, i don't believe the Jags WILL trade for Alex, but not for the reasons you state. They won't trade for Alex because they will be in position, yet again, to draft another 1st round QB.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:05 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
As the local Jax guy here, I can dispute all of this.
I was listening to 1010 XL at lunch today...while the HC hasn't come out and said it, the job is up for grabs. The fan base has lost confidence in Bortles and if you secretly polled the players they have too.

The Jags really have several holes to fill.....the 1st line defense looked porous last night and their kicker is atrocious. Bortles and the QB situation is just hiding the rest of the issues.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:06 AM 08-18-2017
I'm no Alex Smith fan but I'm not trading Smith for almost anything unless we start out 1-5 or something. Mahomes may or may not be ready.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:07 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I'm no Alex Smith fan but I'm not trading Smith for almost anything unless we start out 1-5 or something. Mahomes may or may not be ready.
Then when Alex is inevitably released you will have received nothing. It just doesn't make sense.
[Reply]
TLO 11:08 AM 08-18-2017
I wouldn't trade Smith under any circumstances.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 11:22 AM 08-18-2017
We don't have near as much leverage next year since a team would lose a year of control, and they likely know we would cut him anyways. It makes sense to trade him now.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:23 AM 08-18-2017
Alice for a 1st round pick? HELL YES! :-)
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:28 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Alice for a 1st round pick? HELL YES! :-)
This. Plus given how bad Jacksonville is, either one of the 1st round picks that Direckshun has in the poll will in all likely hood be top ten picks.

Trading Alex Smith for a top ten pick basically pays for what we gave up to draft Mahomes in the first place.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:28 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Wentz and Dak weren't ruined and they played all year. Hell Goff was in the worst possible situation as a rookie and he's not ruined.
Wentz was a 5 year starter in a Pro Style offense that won multiple national championships.

Dak's offense included many Pro Style concepts and played in 49 games in the SEC, beating Alabama along the way.

Both QB's were at least 1 year older than Mahomes, too.

No one knows what Goff will become.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:30 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Then when Alex is inevitably released you will have received nothing. It just doesn't make sense.
There's no reason to release Alex Smith next year.

If there are trade offers this year, after a really bad season, there will be trade offers next year.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up