ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Jacksonville offers...
Alex Smith for a 2018 first round pick: (do not select this option) 11 14.67%
I would make that trade. 55 73.33%
I would not make that trade. 7 9.33%
Alex Smith for a 2018 2nd round pick: (do not select this option) 5 6.67%
I would make that trade. 26 34.67%
I would not make that trade. 30 40.00%
Alex Smith for a 2018 3rd round pick: (do not select this option) 4 5.33%
I would make that trade. 12 16.00%
I would not make that trade. 40 53.33%
Alex Smith for a pick on the 3rd day of the 2018 draft: (do not select this option) 5 6.67%
I would make that trade. 8 10.67%
I would not make that trade. 46 61.33%
Alex Smith for a 2019 first round pick: (do not select this option) 5 6.67%
I would make that trade. 33 44.00%
I would not make that trade. 20 26.67%
I would cut Alex Smith right now if you gave me the chance. Right now. 5 6.67%
I wouldn't trade Smith right now under any circumstances. 12 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's say Jacksonville calls.
Direckshun 10:07 AM 08-18-2017
This is a pointless hypothetical but it's August so who cares. Just have fun with this, folks.

Keep in mind that Alex Smith probably takes us to the playoffs this year.

Pat Mahomes has a learning year that very likely doesn't take us to the playoffs. Though he does have a very bright future.

I know many of you disagree with one or both of those sentences but I think that's a reasonable assessment of the two.

Jacksonville comes calling for Smith, and wants to trade us a draft pick.

What do you say?

Poll forthcoming.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:11 AM 08-18-2017
We ship you (Voyager) to a JAG board and call it a day.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:19 AM 08-18-2017
This idea is stupid for a number of reasons.

First, Bortles' contract is not guaranteed next year. This is his make or break season. They have a new coach this year with a chance to implement a new system. Jacksonville has no reason whatsoever to make the change now. This is not a team that is in win-now. They would gain nothing by switching to Smith. They will either allow Bortles to turn the corner this year or move on.

Second, Jacksonville has been content with Henne as their backup for a number of years, and they just resigned him in the offseason. They resigned Henne even though cutting him would have saved them several million in cap space.

There is no sign in any form or fashion that Jacksonville is not committed to Bortles. It's BS that doesn't make sense for either them or us, even in a hypothetical way.

Patently absurd
[Reply]
JakeF 10:22 AM 08-18-2017
Completely depends on whether or not the coaching staff thinks that playing this year could hurt the development of Mahomes. There are 2 priorities this year, winning and developing Mahomes. The Chiefs had better be really,really sure that Mahomes can handle it before trading away his buffer and mentor in Alex Smith.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:25 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Cochise:

First, Bortles' contract is not guaranteed next year. This is his make or break season. They have a new coach this year with a chance to implement a new system. Jacksonville has no reason whatsoever to make the change now. This is not a team that is in win-now. They would gain nothing by switching to Smith. They will either allow Bortles to turn the corner this year or move on.

Second, Jacksonville has been content with Henne as their backup for a number of years, and they just resigned him in the offseason. They resigned Henne even though cutting him would have saved them several million in cap space.

There is no sign in any form or fashion that Jacksonville is not committed to Bortles. It's BS that doesn't make sense for either them or us, even in a hypothetical way.

Patently absurd
That's fine. Substitute out Jacksonville with another team that makes more sense, then.

This isn't complicated.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:27 AM 08-18-2017
There is no sign in any form or fashion that Jacksonville is not committed to Bortles.
The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran believes "it would make perfect sense" for the Jaguars to cut Blake Bortles this summer.

1010 XL Jacksonville's Hays Carlyon had a similar suggestion Friday morning. The No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Bortles has melted down this summer, first experiencing a "tired arm" last weekend -- perhaps an excuse by coach Doug Marrone to see more of Chad Henne or not -- and then a rock-bottom preseason effort Thursday night. Bortles missed wide-open big plays, and even his completions were a chore. Bortles' 2017 salary is guaranteed, but the Jaguars can't let Bortles on the field and expose him to injury, which would guarantee his $19 million salary for 2018. Henne is the favorite to start.

Speaking after Thursday's preseason game, Jaguars coach Doug Marrone refused to commit to Blake Bortles at quarterback, and said he's competing with Chad Henne.

"It's this simple: I'm looking for the best person to lead this offense," Marrone began. "It's right up there for grabs, and either person can take it. ... (Bortles has) got to go earn it." Marrone refused to even shut the door on third-stringer Brandon Allen. They're the comments of a desperate man following a fiasco of a performance from Bortles on Thursday. Bortles seems to have regressed instead of progressed on his dismal 2016, showing stunningly awful ball placement while looking like a quarterback lacking for confidence. Henne was scarcely better, but Marrone could probably convince himself Henne is more manageable than Bortles' unwieldy motion.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:27 AM 08-18-2017
Bortles is done as a Jaguar.
[Reply]
MahiMike 10:29 AM 08-18-2017

Patently absurd
As the local Jax guy here, I can dispute all of this.
[Reply]
Rasputin 10:32 AM 08-18-2017
How about we just keep it with the plan of trying to win with Alex this year and if he gets hurt then Patrick can come in and see what he can do and learn from the experience of actually playing but not too soon if Alex can keep from getting hurt 10 weeks.
[Reply]
MahiMike 10:33 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Bortles is done as a Jaguar.
This. They will dump him like Leftwich. Henne will look good for a few games then regress like always. My money is on brandon Allen.

Jacksonville has more current talent at WR than the chiefs have had in a decade. Their real issue is their coaching and play calling. If Andy was down here the jags would be the team to beat in the south.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:34 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Their real issue is their coaching and play calling. If Andy was down here the jags would be the team to beat in the south.
Well...lets not get too carried away. They still need a QB.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 10:35 AM 08-18-2017
I wouldn't take any option you offered. As of right now I would need to see a 1st and more from a team. Although if it was a team that was going to get a top 10 pick that would be really tempting.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:42 AM 08-18-2017
If a team wants to give you a 2nd or higher, you take it. Alex will be gone regardless. You can get something in return or not. Why would you not take the pick? Makes no sense.

Stop being worried about "ruining" Mahomes. If he gets ruined by starting, then he was never meant to be in the first place.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:42 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran believes "it would make perfect sense" for the Jaguars to cut Blake Bortles this summer.

1010 XL Jacksonville's Hays Carlyon had a similar suggestion Friday morning. The No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Bortles has melted down this summer, first experiencing a "tired arm" last weekend -- perhaps an excuse by coach Doug Marrone to see more of Chad Henne or not -- and then a rock-bottom preseason effort Thursday night. Bortles missed wide-open big plays, and even his completions were a chore. Bortles' 2017 salary is guaranteed, but the Jaguars can't let Bortles on the field and expose him to injury, which would guarantee his $19 million salary for 2018. Henne is the favorite to start.

Speaking after Thursday's preseason game, Jaguars coach Doug Marrone refused to commit to Blake Bortles at quarterback, and said he's competing with Chad Henne.

"It's this simple: I'm looking for the best person to lead this offense," Marrone began. "It's right up there for grabs, and either person can take it. ... (Bortles has) got to go earn it." Marrone refused to even shut the door on third-stringer Brandon Allen. They're the comments of a desperate man following a fiasco of a performance from Bortles on Thursday. Bortles seems to have regressed instead of progressed on his dismal 2016, showing stunningly awful ball placement while looking like a quarterback lacking for confidence. Henne was scarcely better, but Marrone could probably convince himself Henne is more manageable than Bortles' unwieldy motion.
Coachspeak... you always call it a competition even if it isn't. The bottom line is that they need to find out if they have anything in Bortles, and if they make a change it will be Henne. The only thing that doesn't make sense is for a 3-13 rebuilding team to trade picks for Alex Smith.
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 10:44 AM 08-18-2017
I made my choices, but honestly think dumping him on the Jags would be unfair to Smith. I think he deserves more fair treatment than that.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up