ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Visiting Yellowstone Sat.
Holladay 05:03 PM 08-17-2017
I know there is an old thread on this, couldn't find it. Bwana sent me a few ideas. We are leaving Saturday, going to West Yellowstone Mon-Wed. What are the main things to see and do. We will arrive back home the next Saturday, thus not in the park during Labor Day.

We are pretty laid back, not real touristy. My wife is a travel agent. We kind of like the non-traditional venues. Of course we have to see Old Faithful...I guess. What else?

We are not going to be camping:-) She is getting to old for that. We camp every summer while canoeing/kayaking on the North Fork of the White or Jack Fork. Bugs love her!

I am looking forward to it. I have never been.

Thanks.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:26 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Sucks that Tioga was closed when you went through. That area was breathtaking. Not as much as the park itself, but pretty close.
They opened it the day we drove back, so got to enjoy that drive. It's supposed to save time going back, but in the end, we only saved about 30 minutes because we stopped so many times to take in the view or to take pictures.

It was pretty cool seeing half dome from the opposite side. Didn't expect that.

[Reply]
The Bunk 09:42 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I haven't been through the park in many years myself and probably won't go back. There are a lot of place around here I can go to get away and not deal with the body wash of tourists and traffic jams. You are also right on the fire recovery. That damage was done in the 1988 fire, which was a monster.
I assumed it was from 88, and I think I might have even read that in one of the museums there. Really sad. It'll take forever for it to recover, if it does.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:58 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Fish:
Take a dip in the hot springs, and buttfuck the buffaloes. It's a pretty popular past time....
FYP...
[Reply]
Frazod 10:00 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
They opened it the day we drove back, so got to enjoy that drive. It's supposed to save time going back, but in the end, we only saved about 30 minutes because we stopped so many times to take in the view or to take pictures.

It was pretty cool seeing half dome from the opposite side. Didn't expect that.

Excellent. :-)
[Reply]
Bwana 01:27 PM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by The Bunk:
I assumed it was from 88, and I think I might have even read that in one of the museums there. Really sad. It'll take forever for it to recover, if it does.
Yeah that thing was huge and burned very hot because of all the fuel that had built up over the years. If not for a last minute change in the wind, Cooke City would have been Cooked city and been taken out. There were millings of dollars spent trying to control it, but it was like trying to put out a giant bond fire with a squirt gun. The only thing that was able to put it out was a September snow.

Cooke about to get cooked just before the wind change.

[Reply]
jspchief 04:52 PM 08-18-2017
Yeah that thing was huge and burned very hot because of all the fuel that had built up over the years. If not for a last minute change in the wind, Cooke City would have been Cooked city and been taken out. There were millings of dollars spent trying to control it, but it was like trying to put out a giant bond fire with a squirt gun. The only thing that was able to put it out was a September snow.

Cooke about to get cooked just before the wind change.

We went in 88. Could smell the smoke while we were still hours away and at night the skyline glowed orange. I remember they had just reopened the road to old faithful that day, and as we drove on it there were tiny little fires burning in the woods just off the road. I remember wanting to stop and put them out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Porkchop Express 06:23 PM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Porkchop express huh . Explain !
It's just a little reference from the greatest movie of all time
[Reply]
lewdog 06:39 PM 08-18-2017
As to the pissing contest, let me just say this: I love Wyoming and hate California. That being said, Yosemite is still vastly superior to Yellowstone. The only thing that pissed me off about Yosemite was California drivers.
And all playing second fiddle to the glory that is Glacier National Park in Montana.

Nothing like it.
[Reply]
rockymtnchief 06:43 PM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
And all playing second fiddle to the glory that is Glacier National Park in Montana.

Nothing like it.
SHHHHHHHHHHH.....we're trying to keep it a secret!:-)
[Reply]
Bwana 11:11 PM 08-18-2017

Nothing like it.
Without a doubt.

[Reply]
Bugeater 11:23 PM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by rockymtnchief:
SHHHHHHHHHHH.....we're trying to keep it a secret!:-)
I'm on my way up there now.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:24 PM 08-18-2017

Nothing like it.
Never been there, so I'll reserve judgment. Although I just can't imagine anything could top the view from Glacier Point overlooking Yosemite Valley.
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:28 PM 08-18-2017
19 hr drive from Pigsknuckle. That one may have to wait a while.
[Reply]
Bwana 11:28 PM 08-18-2017
Never been there, so I'll reserve judgment. Although I just can't imagine anything could top the view from Glacier Point overlooking Yosemite Valley.
Take the trip you won't be disappointed, seriously. On a side note, get your ass up here for an atv trip, none of us are getting any younger.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:50 PM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
19 hr drive from Pigsknuckle. That one may have to wait a while.
Yeah, that's the problem - it's so goddamn far from pretty much everything.

Take the trip you won't be disappointed, seriously. On a side note, get your ass up here for an atv trip, none of us are getting any younger.
I know, I know. One of these days!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up