ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Visiting Yellowstone Sat.
Holladay 05:03 PM 08-17-2017
I know there is an old thread on this, couldn't find it. Bwana sent me a few ideas. We are leaving Saturday, going to West Yellowstone Mon-Wed. What are the main things to see and do. We will arrive back home the next Saturday, thus not in the park during Labor Day.

We are pretty laid back, not real touristy. My wife is a travel agent. We kind of like the non-traditional venues. Of course we have to see Old Faithful...I guess. What else?

We are not going to be camping:-) She is getting to old for that. We camp every summer while canoeing/kayaking on the North Fork of the White or Jack Fork. Bugs love her!

I am looking forward to it. I have never been.

Thanks.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 07:36 PM 08-17-2017
There's a really good BBQ place in Emigrant, MT off 89 hwy on the way in to the north entrance if you take that way. It's called Follow Yer Nose BBQ. It's connected to a bakery called the Wild Flour bakery. Owner of the bakery is from KC and she married a guy from Georgia that definitely knows how to BBQ. Cool atmosphere, great people and really good food. I'd recommend it to anyone.
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:39 PM 08-17-2017
Remember, ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES / Smokey the Bear

That is a great responsibility. Like you can help it if someone else starts a forest fire but you better not let that happen either you cannot let Smokey the Bear down.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:39 PM 08-17-2017
wow, cool info. Of course with the obligitory CP comments. In the end, CP pulls through.

Originally Posted by :
Fairy Falls is a cool, easy hike. It's about 5 miles to and back, and the waterfall at the end is definitely worth seeing.

This is right up our alley. My wife told me to pack hiking boots. WTF, I don't have my Army boots anymore.

Originally Posted by :
3 people have died in North America this year from Bears.
Great comment. I don't have my CC license and I am sure Bwana won't lend me his .50 hand gun, so Bear Spray will be on the list. Does a 1 iron help?

Originally Posted by :
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
I will look that up.

Originally Posted by :
Yosemite absolutely blows it away. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. And I frequently visit the Black Hills, which IMO also blow Yellowstone away.
We camped in the Black Hills years ago and true, very cool. Except my wife was pregnant with our first child, got sick and had to check into a motel. She is German and the Black Hills reminded her of the the Black Forest in Germany.

Originally Posted by :
Sorry to sound like a killjoy
Understand and thanks. I kind of expected something like this. That is why I said
Originally Posted by :
Of course we have to see Old Faithful...I guess. What else?
Keep the responses coming.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:50 PM 08-17-2017
Again, don't miss Jenny Lake. This picture doesn't do it justice.

[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 07:50 PM 08-17-2017
Try to check the geyser times and base everything around that because if you get to old faithful right after it shoots off you'll waste about 2 hours sitting around looking at a hole in the ground.
http://geysertimes.org/geyser.php?id=OldFaithful
[Reply]
penguinz 07:52 PM 08-17-2017
Lamar Valley in the northeast is best for bison, elk and wolf viewing. The bison outnumber the people in this area.
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:57 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Again, don't miss Jenny Lake. This picture doesn't do it justice.

Where was that at? I missed it when I was there. :-)

I guess that's what happens when you have JOhn as your tour guide.

As far as the OP, my only advice is pack your own food and drinks. And stay on the fucking trails and don't fuck with the wildlife.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:00 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Where was that at? I missed it when I was there. :-)

I guess that's what happens when you have JOhn as your tour guide.

As far as the OP, my only advice is pack your own food and drinks. And stay on the fucking trails and don't fuck with the wildlife.
We drove up to Yellowstone from Jackson, it was right on the way.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:06 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
We drove up to Yellowstone from Jackson, it was right on the way.
Ah, we didn't make it down that way, ran out of time. We were only up that way for a couple days before we went to Colorado. In hindsight we should have just spent the week up there. Poor planning.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 08:23 PM 08-17-2017
I hope the caldera doesn't blow this weekend...
[Reply]
Frazod 08:29 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Ah, we didn't make it down that way, ran out of time. We were only up that way for a couple days before we went to Colorado. In hindsight we should have just spent the week up there. Poor planning.
It was really neat. We were there in May. There was snow everywhere, yet it was 70 degrees outside. We were throwing snowballs at each other while wearing t-shirts. On the way into the southern entrance of Yellowstone there were places where the snow lining both sides of the road was at least 15' feet high on both sides of the road. It was surreal.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 08:47 PM 08-17-2017
I personally like the NE corner. Cooke City area.

Don't believe Frazod, Yellowstone blows Yosemite out of the water.

Hike to Trout Lake, uncle toms trail/steps, grand prismatic spring (do the short hike behind the spring where you climb the hill and get a good view of the entire spring). If you want to see animals get up and on the road before sunrise and nap in the afternoon.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:54 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
You're out of your mind.

[Reply]
Bugeater 09:20 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:

Yeaaahhh...no. Not even a contest.
[Reply]
kevonm 09:36 PM 08-17-2017
Jenny Lake is in the Tetons. Be prepared for cool weather, overnight it could be in the 30s. My wife and I were there in August last year. We loved the Grand Prismatic. Honestly, the whole park was amazing, but remember it is huge, expect to do lots of driving. The place is like a small city with its own gas stations, auto shops, etc. Firehole canyon is an awesome drive.

Be very careful about driving at night, as there are lots of large animals on the roads
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up