ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Nzoner's Game Room>Can we talk about megathreads?
DaFace 11:31 AM 08-14-2017
Hey ChiefsPlanet. Can we all agree that, at least at some level, megathreads suck? I mean, if you want to have a megathread in the media center to talk about a TV show, a megathread about a sports team/league other than the Chiefs, etc., that's just fine.

But about Chiefs discussion? A vast majority of the time, those quickly turn into a shit slinging contest from a handful of opinionated posters. A lot of people just avoid them for that reason, yet people feel like they can't post a thread about a topic that was already buried in some sort of megathread because people will just bitch at them for the "repost". It's one of the most frequent complaints we hear from people who aren't on here all the time - it's just hard to keep up in that format. Hell, I'm theoretically on the leadership team around here, and I find myself pretty much just going to Arrowhead Pride or the Star for my Chiefs news and coming here almost out of habit.

The problem is that it's hard to really set "rules" in place that wouldn't feel obnoxious. No threads above 500 posts? That would kill game threads and all of the "legit" megathreads out there. No megathreads on Chiefs topics? Well, what's your definition there?

Until we can come up with a better idea, can we all just agree to try and collectively encourage people to post individual threads on Chiefs topics? That could mean:
  1. If someone posts a thread, and particularly if they take the time to format an article from a different source so that it can be easily read here, say thanks. Give people positive rep. It takes effort (and a tiny bit of thick skin) to post a thread around here, so we should try and appreciate the time it takes.
  2. If there's a thread that is about news that hasn't had its own thread already posted, it's NOT A REPOST. If a mod is having a bad day, we might even boot you from the thread if you gripe at people for a "repost" that is buried in a megathread. And, megathread haters, feel free to discourage this kind of thing in whatever fashion you feel personally suits the situation.
  3. Try not to feel like a Chiefs topic isn't important enough for a thread. I would have loved to have a daily discussion thread on training camp to be able to hear about which scrubs look promising and which should hit the road. Is that in the megathread somewhere? Probably. But I'd have to wade through hundreds of penbrook posts to find it. And no one should have to do that.
  4. If someone posts an ACTUAL repost (where there's another thread specifically on that topic), give them the benefit of the doubt, and try not to be an ass about it. Report the thread to the mods if it bothers you, and we can merge the threads together.

There's a balance somewhere beyond which the whole place would be filled with shit threads and reposts, but we're so far away from that that it's hard to imagine we'd go too far any time soon. So...post more threads, you fucking assholes. And if someone gives you shit about it, tell them the mods tell them to fuck off.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:35 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by listopencil:
That's not true, unless you can go into your settings and set it up that way. Then it's only true for people who do that. Unless it is the default setting and I changed it years ago.
I believe you're correct - the default is not to subscribe. I use the function all the time, though. Every time I post in a thread, it automatically subscribes me. Then, I just check my UserCP from time to time to catch up on any replies I might have missed.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:42 PM 08-17-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I believe you're correct - the default is not to subscribe. I use the function all the time, though. Every time I post in a thread, it automatically subscribes me. Then, I just check my UserCP from time to time to catch up on any replies I might have missed.
Same here. I can't imagine keeping up with discussions without these two features (last post button and list of subscribed threads in the user cp).
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 07:04 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by listopencil:
That's not true, unless you can go into your settings and set it up that way. Then it's only true for people who do that. Unless it is the default setting and I changed it years ago.
It's completely possible that I set it up to subscribe to each thread I posted in and then not send me emails. I don't remember doing it, but it's entirely possible.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up