ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Can we talk about megathreads?
DaFace 11:31 AM 08-14-2017
Hey ChiefsPlanet. Can we all agree that, at least at some level, megathreads suck? I mean, if you want to have a megathread in the media center to talk about a TV show, a megathread about a sports team/league other than the Chiefs, etc., that's just fine.

But about Chiefs discussion? A vast majority of the time, those quickly turn into a shit slinging contest from a handful of opinionated posters. A lot of people just avoid them for that reason, yet people feel like they can't post a thread about a topic that was already buried in some sort of megathread because people will just bitch at them for the "repost". It's one of the most frequent complaints we hear from people who aren't on here all the time - it's just hard to keep up in that format. Hell, I'm theoretically on the leadership team around here, and I find myself pretty much just going to Arrowhead Pride or the Star for my Chiefs news and coming here almost out of habit.

The problem is that it's hard to really set "rules" in place that wouldn't feel obnoxious. No threads above 500 posts? That would kill game threads and all of the "legit" megathreads out there. No megathreads on Chiefs topics? Well, what's your definition there?

Until we can come up with a better idea, can we all just agree to try and collectively encourage people to post individual threads on Chiefs topics? That could mean:
  1. If someone posts a thread, and particularly if they take the time to format an article from a different source so that it can be easily read here, say thanks. Give people positive rep. It takes effort (and a tiny bit of thick skin) to post a thread around here, so we should try and appreciate the time it takes.
  2. If there's a thread that is about news that hasn't had its own thread already posted, it's NOT A REPOST. If a mod is having a bad day, we might even boot you from the thread if you gripe at people for a "repost" that is buried in a megathread. And, megathread haters, feel free to discourage this kind of thing in whatever fashion you feel personally suits the situation.
  3. Try not to feel like a Chiefs topic isn't important enough for a thread. I would have loved to have a daily discussion thread on training camp to be able to hear about which scrubs look promising and which should hit the road. Is that in the megathread somewhere? Probably. But I'd have to wade through hundreds of penbrook posts to find it. And no one should have to do that.
  4. If someone posts an ACTUAL repost (where there's another thread specifically on that topic), give them the benefit of the doubt, and try not to be an ass about it. Report the thread to the mods if it bothers you, and we can merge the threads together.

There's a balance somewhere beyond which the whole place would be filled with shit threads and reposts, but we're so far away from that that it's hard to imagine we'd go too far any time soon. So...post more threads, you fucking assholes. And if someone gives you shit about it, tell them the mods tell them to fuck off.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:22 PM 08-14-2017
There is a balance between two worlds
One with an arrow and a cross
Regardless of the balance
Life has become cumbersome
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:22 PM 08-14-2017
I'd agree. I was excited for TC. TC megathread starts. The first day I get home from work and there is 300 posts. I've got no shot at that. But consider if the following threads were available on the first day

1. Alex is kicking ass. (I'm not touching this. Fuck)
2. Injury report. (Worth reading. At least OP)
3. Berrys leadership role (maybe if I've got the time)
4. Interview with Mahomes about learning the offense (this looks good)
5. Peters is good (yeah. I've got that one)
6. Hill is fast (not news)

So if there are 50 posts in each I can read #4 and the posts and read the OP on injuries and I'm reading 51 posts not 300. And we all know the distribution wouldn't be even. *cough*ALEX*cough*
[Reply]
Eleazar 12:29 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
In most cases, I agree. I'm a bit torn on stuff like the Alex sucks thread, though. It's nice to confine that kind of bullshit to one place.
Alex Sucks should go to Romper
[Reply]
jjchieffan 12:32 PM 08-14-2017
Funny thing is, this thread will likely become a megathread as well. And that's good. All of the discussion of this topic should go in this thread.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:35 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
Funny thing is, this thread will likely become a megathread as well. And that's good. All of the discussion of this topic should go in this thread.
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
You want is ironic this may become a megathread
REPOST :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 12:36 PM 08-14-2017
I absolutely agree..megathreads suck...

And the people trying to enforce megathreads and "Q' police who get mad if you post something thats buried in a megathread also suck.

megathreads = crap

[Reply]
RippedmyFlesh 12:38 PM 08-14-2017
Maybe this is too simplistic but I believe every article about the chiefs warrants it's own thread. I would much rather go to main page and see 8 individual threads about 8 stories than see them buried in one thread. But if they were in both megathreads and individual threads I wouldn't mind in the least.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:40 PM 08-14-2017
Interesting and common sense approach.
[Reply]
Rasputin 12:45 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
No.

I like Megathreads. I keep up with the ones im interested in everyday. I like having consolidated information.

With that said, anything newsworthy should be made into a separate thread and should not referred to as a Q just because it was posted in a Megathread. No reason we can't have both.
This. Training Camp thread rocks. Is every pass thrown going start a new thread otherwise?
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 12:54 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
This. Training Camp thread rocks. Is every pass thrown going start a new thread otherwise?
there has to be something in between making a new thread for every pass

and

burying a whole bunch of thread worthy items inside a mega thread

My idea would be to start a new thread for most chief related things, and then if someone WANTS to have a mega thread...they post a LINK inside the mega thread to the apporiate topic. That way both sides can be happy....the mega thread becomes like the reference manual or wiki with very useful info and links to other threads...and if someone wants to take the time to look through a huge megathread , they can...meanwhile if a topic is important it will get posts..if not it will die...but could be found via a link in the megathread..

Non chiefs stuff, I'm fine with megathreads because shit like cooking and wrestling and even royals crap I dont want to see anyway
[Reply]
RippedmyFlesh 12:56 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
I understand but maybe having individual daily TC threads in conjunction with the megathread. Beautiful Mahomes throws could be both places with no one being all repost police about it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:12 PM 08-14-2017
Megathreads dealing with the team completely suck for those of us who can't spend a lot of time here. I'd rather scroll through pages of thread titles looking for interesting things then try to scroll through a thousand posts in a megathread, many or most of which have nothing to do with the subject in the header (like the training camp thread...). I just don't have time to try and keep up with weeks-long ongoing discussion, and I don't really care all that much what most of the usual suspects have to say in terms of the off-topic bullshit.
[Reply]
Eleazar 01:33 PM 08-14-2017
I don't think anything Chiefs-related should be a megathread. It is too hard to wade through the mountains of pap in order to find useful bits of information.

If megathreads should ever exist, which they shouldn't, it should be for off-topic discussions which are of interest only to a few people.
[Reply]
MMXcalibur 01:34 PM 08-14-2017
A-fucking-men.

No megathreads for Chiefs related items. I get the majority of my Chiefs news from the topic titles in The Lounge and it lets me pick and choose on what areas I want more opinions on.

I'd rather have that choice then be funneled into one Training Camp megathread topic where Dane and Clay are going back-and-forth about who has the bigger micropenis (I assume that's what is going on in the thread, I haven't checked the Training Camp megathread in ages).
[Reply]
eDave 01:34 PM 08-14-2017
Megathreads are extremely susceptible to derailings.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up