ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 208
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*.* NEW- 2014 General Fitness Thread *.*
penguinz 01:44 PM 08-13-2014
I guess we filled up the old one... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149

Welcome to 2014! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

No one else started it so here it is!

**From the 2013 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.
[Reply]
Silock 09:41 PM 08-27-2014
Neither.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:51 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Silock:
Neither.
WHITE AMERICA!
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:15 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Saccopoo:
Are you European or Hispanic?
He is terminator series 3.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 05:40 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by KC native:
Yes, I'm working towards heavier weights. My shoulders (rotator cuffs) are what's really holding back my bench weights right now.

I'm also working my dead's up too. I had a pretty bad lower back injury (dr said I might have slipped a disc). I'm finally getting to the point where I can push on that lift again.

The nagging shoulder and lower back injury are what prompted me to start working out again. I'm finally getting some progress with the dead lifts. I tweaked my shoulder again last Saturday so I did legs Monday and put an hour on the elliptical last night.

All 4 sets at the same weight. With the exception of incline bench, I set a weight that makes me struggle to get all the reps done in a set and fail on the last rep of the last set. I move up in weight when I can nail all the reps across all the sets.
Does DB bench & OHP bother your AC joint? My left AC joint has been bothering me so I subbed in DB for bench & press, seems to be OK I guess because of the extra movement freedom.

Starting Strength is a great read, even if to just brush up on form. I switched to Ripp's low bar style about 5 months ago and squat feels so much more comfortable for my shoulders. I have the SS ebook if you want it. Two other programs that you would benefit from are Joe DeFranco's "Westside for skinny Bastards III" and Layne Nortons "PHAT" routine, both focus on power compound movements, with Layne's adding in some bodybuilding days towards the end of the week. Both allow DB substitutions instead of all barbell work.
[Reply]
KC native 07:31 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by Aspengc8:
Does DB bench & OHP bother your AC joint? My left AC joint has been bothering me so I subbed in DB for bench & press, seems to be OK I guess because of the extra movement freedom.

Starting Strength is a great read, even if to just brush up on form. I switched to Ripp's low bar style about 5 months ago and squat feels so much more comfortable for my shoulders. I have the SS ebook if you want it. Two other programs that you would benefit from are Joe DeFranco's "Westside for skinny Bastards III" and Layne Nortons "PHAT" routine, both focus on power compound movements, with Layne's adding in some bodybuilding days towards the end of the week. Both allow DB substitutions instead of all barbell work.
Bench gives me some pain from my rotator cuff. OHP is the one that puts the strain on my AC joint.

I find that the barbell bench press is easier on my shoulder than dumbbells. I used to do dumbbells for bench but was getting a ton of pain. I switched to the barbell for bench and it doesn't give me as much pain. And I will look into those and would like to go over the SS ebook.
[Reply]
NewChief 07:37 AM 08-28-2014
Took about 3 weeks off due to life just getting too freaking crazy with childcare and work to cram in workouts. I'm definitely weaker. Fortunately, I didn't gain a bunch of weight, though. Still at 192 which is pretty normal for me (I'm really lean at 185, but I have a hard time maintaining that). I'm surprised I didn't gain a bunch of weight, as I ate like shit and drank too much during my hiatus. Now that school is back in session, I'm getting back into my routine.
[Reply]
penguinz 07:40 AM 08-28-2014
Bench gives me some pain from my rotator cuff. OHP is the one that puts the strain on my AC joint.

I find that the barbell bench press is easier on my shoulder than dumbbells. I used to do dumbbells for bench but was getting a ton of pain. I switched to the barbell for bench and it doesn't give me as much pain. And I will look into those and would like to go over the SS ebook.
If that is the case then you need to look at your form on the dumbbell presses. A proper dumbbell press puts much less strain on the shoulder girdle than a perfect for bench press.
[Reply]
KC native 09:24 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by penguinz:
If that is the case then you need to look at your form on the dumbbell presses. A proper dumbbell press puts much less strain on the shoulder girdle than a perfect for bench press.
Yea, when I started back to working out regularly I was doing db presses for that exact reason. Somewhere along the line (about 3 months ago) my delts started freaking out and hurting like a motherfucker and were unstable during my lift. I switched to the barbell just to see if it would help and it did.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:26 AM 08-28-2014

Try one of these out. http://www.howmuchyabench.net/
[Reply]
penguinz 09:47 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Try one of these out. http://www.howmuchyabench.net/
I wish one of these would show up in my mail box.
[Reply]
MITCH 06:47 PM 08-28-2014
I recommend doing more pull exercises for anyone having shoulder issues. I read somewhere years ago to do more pull ups and it has worked great for my shoulders. I now try to get in three pull up days for every two bench press days. I never do pull ups and flat bench on same days.
[Reply]
Bruiser 06:48 PM 08-28-2014
EDIT
[Reply]
Aspengc8 10:02 AM 08-29-2014
Originally Posted by MITCH:
I recommend doing more pull exercises for anyone having shoulder issues. I read somewhere years ago to do more pull ups and it has worked great for my shoulders. I now try to get in three pull up days for every two bench press days. I never do pull ups and flat bench on same days.
Your missing out on one of the best antagonistic pairings you can perform.

bench -> row
overhead press -> chins

jim W style. He recommends twice as much pulling volume as your pressing, on that day.
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 02:05 PM 09-01-2014
Weekly weigh-in...down 2 pounds this week to 304.

That's 113 pounds down since February, and 79 lbs. from my goal of 225.

Hopefully in 2 weeks I'll break the 300 threshold and get into the 2's again. The wife's talking about reward time. :-)
[Reply]
Silock 02:06 PM 09-01-2014
w00t!
[Reply]
Page 9 of 208
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Up