ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Visiting Yellowstone Sat.
Holladay 05:03 PM 08-17-2017
I know there is an old thread on this, couldn't find it. Bwana sent me a few ideas. We are leaving Saturday, going to West Yellowstone Mon-Wed. What are the main things to see and do. We will arrive back home the next Saturday, thus not in the park during Labor Day.

We are pretty laid back, not real touristy. My wife is a travel agent. We kind of like the non-traditional venues. Of course we have to see Old Faithful...I guess. What else?

We are not going to be camping:-) She is getting to old for that. We camp every summer while canoeing/kayaking on the North Fork of the White or Jack Fork. Bugs love her!

I am looking forward to it. I have never been.

Thanks.
[Reply]
Dartgod 12:21 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Never been there, so I'll reserve judgment. Although I just can't imagine anything could top the view from Glacier Point overlooking Yosemite Valley.
I give you Zion National Park from the top of Angel's Landing. Of course you can't drive up there. :-)
Attached: DSC_2263.jpg (162.3 KB) 
[Reply]
rockymtnchief 05:58 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I'm on my way up there now.
Are you stopping for a beer and corn dog anywhere along the way?

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Take the trip you won't be disappointed, seriously. On a side note, get your ass up here for an atv trip, none of us are getting any younger.
Amen. Get that boy out of the city for some fun.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:40 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Never been there, so I'll reserve judgment. Although I just can't imagine anything could top the view from Glacier Point overlooking Yosemite Valley.
Damn right you'll reserve further judgement because you are wrong!

Just type in Glacier National Park on google images.

There are so many gorgeous places, hikes and vasts amounts of streams, lakes and rivers. Found this information: Glacier Park is over a million acres in size, with over 175 named mountains, 762 lakes, 563 streams, over 200 named waterfalls, 25 named glaciers, and over 745 miles of maintained hiking trails.

The most iconic shot is Wild Goose Island, right from the road. There are so many other places accessible by hikes though that are amazing as well.

You HAVE to see Glacier Frazod, since you sound like you love visiting National Parks. There really is no place like it.

And God dammit, I think I need another trip home tying all this out.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:43 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:

There are so many gorgeous places, hikes and vasts amounts of streams, lakes and rivers. Found this information: Glacier Park is over a million acres in size, with over 175 named mountains, 762 lakes, 563 streams, over 200 named waterfalls, 25 named glaciers, and over 745 miles of maintained hiking trails.

The most iconic shot is Wild Goose Island, right from the road. There are so many other places accessible by hikes though that are amazing as well.

You HAVE to see Glacier Frazod, since you sound like you love visiting National Parks. There really is no place like it.

Another thing to consider if anyone is going up there, go early. With the way the wildfires touch off every year these days, the views get cut down to a fraction of what you normally can see on a clear day because of the smoke.

I feel sorry for the folks around Seeley right now who have it the worst. The air quality has been in the hazardous zone now for weeks.

It went from this:

To this:

[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 09:07 AM 08-19-2017
My wife and I are heading to Yellowstone mid September. I am hoping the traffic is thinned out. I have not been there since I was 5. I remember being amazed by geysers and mud pots and elk in the road. We have some nights in the red lodge north of the park. I am looking forward to it and this thread came at an opportune time.
[Reply]
Bwana 09:36 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
My wife and I are heading to Yellowstone mid September. I am hoping the traffic is thinned out. I have not been there since I was 5. I remember being amazed by geysers and mud pots and elk in the road. We have some nights in the red lodge north of the park. I am looking forward to it and this thread came at an opportune time.
I'll tell you what, if you are going to be in Red Lodge anyway, take a road trip over to Roscoe and eat dinner at the Grizzly bar. Order a rib steak and I guarantee it will be one of the best steaks, if not the best steak you will ever eat. It's only 20 miles, or a 25 minute trip from Red Lodge and a very scenic drive as well.

[Reply]
rockymtnchief 10:52 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I'll tell you what, if you are going to be in Red Lodge anyway, take a road trip over to Roscoe and eat dinner at the Grizzly bar. Order a rib steak and I guarantee it will be one of the best steaks, if not the best steak you will ever eat. It's only 20 miles, or a 25 minute trip from Red Lodge and a very scenic drive as well.

+1

I love that place. Their prime is above average, but their steaks are great.
[Reply]
Bugeater 01:00 PM 08-19-2017
I was there Labor Day weekend a couple years ago and other than a few isolated areas of congestion (usually related to an animal or animals near the road) it wasn't bad at all.
[Reply]
Bugeater 01:01 PM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Have you ever been to Yosemite? Just wondering if you know what you're comparing it to.
[Reply]
Bwana 02:25 PM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by rockymtnchief:
+1

I love that place. Their prime is above average, but their steaks are great.
Heh I think at one point in time or another, most everyone around here has had one of their bumper stickers hung on the back of their rig.

[Reply]
Bwana 02:32 PM 08-19-2017
Oh and while in Red Lodge AKA "Rock Dodge," Red Lodge Ales Brewing company has some solid beer selections.

http://redlodgeales.com/
[Reply]
Holladay 03:48 PM 08-19-2017
Thanks everyone. I am printing out this thread for reference as we further our plans.
[Reply]
Bwana 04:02 PM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Holladay:
Thanks everyone. I am printing out this thread for reference as we further our plans.
If you do by chance make it up to Cooke, hit the minors saloon for dinner and get one of their homemade pizzas and wash it down with a few Moose Drool Brown Ales.

[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up