ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Draft thoughts on the first preseason game.
Direckshun 12:31 PM 08-12-2017
Going into the 2018 draft, we have no first rounder. We do have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and two 7ths (one from the Marcus Cooper trade). We *may* get a 7th compensatory from the Poe cut, based on reports, but that would boggle my mind since we've signed Logan for the same amount.

It's also possible we get a high- or mid-rounder for Alex Smith.

The biggest problem we have on this team is twofold: it's that we have no cap space (very little after the Smith cut/trade), and we have two positions we're going to need to remedy:

1. reciever
2. nose tackle

Now the Chiefs will have a little cap room, but Alex Smith threw to none of the non-Tyreek WRs in the first drive. That's troublesome. Bray and Mahomes used the WRs more, so maybe our WR isn't as weak as I fear it is. Maybe it's just a simple matter of Smith not wanting to air it out to WRs.

Nose tackle is going to be a serious hole, too. Our top two nose tackles -- Bennie Logan and Roy Miller -- are free agents next offseason. I was pretty impressed with the job Nacho did at nose, though. Any chance we play this guy full time at the position? He was playing damn well with Bailey and Jenkins.

Also, we're going to need to really take a hard look at ILB. This has got to be pretty close to DJ's last season and while Ramik is looking better and better, I shrug at best with our remaining talent.

We need some of the young guys to grow up fast. Kpassagnon, Chesson, Eligwe. I'm not worried about Hunt or Mahomes.

It's also worth reiterating that extending Terrance Mitchell should remain a priority.

Targeting WRs and NTs early. Linebackers across the board will be needed. Some more OL depth is going to need to be brought in too -- the 2nd and 3rd strings were awful.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:39 PM 08-12-2017
This team needs to draft a real OT and develop him on the bench. We've drafted ONE guy since Dorsey/Reid came here-- Eric Fisher.

That's ridiculous and kind of stupid. That's asking for trouble.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:43 PM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
This team needs to draft a real OT and develop him on the bench. We've drafted ONE guy since Dorsey/Reid came here-- Eric Fisher.

That's ridiculous and kind of stupid. That's asking for trouble.
This was the first year since 1936 that a tackle wasn't taken in the first 10 draft choices.

The first tackle taken was at #20, Garrett Bolles, by the Broncos.

The issue is that the overwhelming majority of college tackles play in the college spread and they're ill prepared for the NFL game.

This situation isn't likely to get any better.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:47 PM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Targeting WRs and NTs early. Linebackers across the board will be needed. Some more OL depth is going to need to be brought in too -- the 2nd and 3rd strings were awful.
This is ridiculous.

First off, the Chiefs have spent draft choices on WR's to develop. There's no reason why Conley, Chesson, Robinson and Hill don't continue to improve each year and if they "hit" on a guy like Jones, the position is set.

Nose tackle in the second round? No. That's terrible. As for linebackers, Ramik Wilson has turned it up a notch and at this point in time, it's difficult to assess how March, Eligwe and KPL perform this season, so saying it's a position of need is speculative.

The Chiefs top 8 or 9 offensive lineman are fine. If they draft a 5th round OT with some upside and coachability, that's fine but spending anything higher when it's not a position of need is a waste of valuable resources.

If last night was any indicator of position of need, it's running back, hands down.
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 09:59 PM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
This is ridiculous.

First off, the Chiefs have spent draft choices on WR's to develop. There's no reason why Conley, Chesson, Robinson and Hill don't continue to improve each year and if they "hit" on a guy like Jones, the position is set.

Nose tackle in the second round? No. That's terrible. As for linebackers, Ramik Wilson has turned it up a notch and at this point in time, it's difficult to assess how March, Eligwe and KPL perform this season, so saying it's a position of need is speculative.

The Chiefs top 8 or 9 offensive lineman are fine. If they draft a 5th round OT with some upside and coachability, that's fine but spending anything higher when it's not a position of need is a waste of valuable resources.

If last night was any indicator of position of need, it's running back, hands down.
Personally I still have high hopes for kareem hunt, but his zenith is still just pretty good...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:30 PM 08-13-2017
Originally Posted by Willie Lanier:
Personally I still have high hopes for kareem hunt, but his zenith is still just pretty good...
I hope that Hunt is a good player as well but as we've seen the past few years, two above average running backs is not enough for this team to succeed in the playoffs.

Look at New England or even Atlanta: They each have a bevy of interchangeable guys that don't miss a beat when they're replaced.

That's what the Chiefs will need to succeed, because very few running backs can stay healthy for 16 games, let alone 19 games.
[Reply]
RunKC 07:41 AM 08-14-2017
CB is a very underrated need next year. Peters, Mitchell, Gaines and Nelson all have contracts ending within the next couple of years.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:01 PM 08-14-2017
A reason I can think of is that they're not very good.

I am holding out hope for Conley and Chesson, but I haven't seen a ton from Chesson to lead me to feel that way. Robinson -- meh. He's not a guy that's getting a ton of separation in camp and while he looked pretty good on that deep throw from Mahomes, I have little faith in him for when the bullets start flying Week 1.

Nose tackle in the second round? No. That's terrible.
Good counter point!

I thought that us being cash strapped and having our top two NTs poised for free agency left us with little options.

But I hadn't considered the counterargument of "that's terrible." I shall reconsider.

As for linebackers, Ramik Wilson has turned it up a notch and at this point in time, it's difficult to assess how March, Eligwe and KPL perform this season, so saying it's a position of need is speculative.
That's correct. Since I'm talking about the 2018 draft, and we've had only one preseason game for the 2017, everything I'm saying is speculative.

And I'm speculating that ILB is going to need some serious upgrades. Wilson is our only viable option for the future at this point, though I'll hold out hope for KPL and Eligwe -- and to a lesser extent, March.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:02 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
CB is a very underrated need next year. Peters, Mitchell, Gaines and Nelson all have contracts ending within the next couple of years.
Maybe.

I think we need to extend Gaines on the cheap and Mitchell needs to be solidified should he continue looking like a very good #2.

Peters is going to get a deal in KC. But not this upcoming offseason, as we have no capspace. I think it comes cleaner in 2019.
[Reply]
Up