ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Prebuilt PC
TambaBerry 12:08 PM 08-10-2017
Are Prebuilt PCs a bunch of bullshit or what? I found a really good deal on one but im worried that they use crap brands or parts to get it so cheap.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:11 PM 08-10-2017
Most Pre-built PC's are going to give you a list of what's inside. If they won't tell you what's inside, that's a cause for alarm. Just ask the seller if he can tell you what's inside, assuming no list is posted. Post the list here and CP can you tell if it's shit or not.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 12:15 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Most Pre-built PC's are going to give you a list of what's inside. If they won't tell you what's inside, that's a cause for alarm. Just ask the seller if he can tell you what's inside, assuming no list is posted. Post the list here and CP can you tell if it's shit or not.
just makes me worried is all. My current PC i built myself and love it and have no problem doing it but the PC I found I can't touch on building it myself
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:19 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
just makes me worried is all. My current PC i built myself and love it and have no problem doing it but the PC I found I can't touch on building it myself
Meh. Who built it? One of these online stores or some independent?

So long as you can run down a list of everything that's inside it should be nbd. You buying this thing off Craigslist or something?
[Reply]
jd1020 01:29 PM 08-10-2017
If this is for gaming it wouldn't be a horrible decision to buy prebuilt with the current price on GPU's because prebuilts still offer them at MSRP price. But they usually skimp out on the motherboard, RAM, and PSU. So it just depends.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 07:18 PM 08-14-2017
I agree with what these guys say. The cheap ones have cheap parts, but you can get a good one if you check the specs on it. But I think the worst part of a pre-built is the bloatware crap on it. The only thing I buy pre-built is laptops, and even then, the first thing I do is reformat and reinstall the OS and the software I want.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:32 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Are Prebuilt PCs a bunch of bullshit or what? I found a really good deal on one but im worried that they use crap brands or parts to get it so cheap.
It's sooooooooo easy to build a PC that this shouldn't even be an option.

It's like Legos for people older than 14.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:47 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's sooooooooo easy to build a PC that this shouldn't even be an option.

It's like Legos for people older than 14.
But the metric isn't necessarily how easy it is.

Culvers has $1.25 Butter Burgers for a promotion tomorrow. I don't care how easy it is to make a burger at home, that's deal.

PCs usually charge a premium for prebuilt units. That's the draw for building yourself, control and economy. If a prebuilt meets one's needs at a competitive price, the advantages of home built is quickly erased.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:53 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
But the metric isn't necessarily how easy it is.

Culvers has $1.25 Butter Burgers for a promotion tomorrow. I don't care how easy it is to make a burger at home, that's deal.

PCs usually charge a premium for prebuilt units. That's the draw for building yourself, control and economy. If a prebuilt meets one's needs at a competitive price, the advantages of home built is quickly erased.
I defer to your knowledge.

I have zero experience with pre-built computers, as I've been building PC's since the mid-90's, with the best boards and Intel Processors available.

It generally takes an hour or so to assemble.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:07 PM 08-14-2017

I have zero experience with pre-built computers, as I've been building PC's since the mid-90's, with the best boards and Intel Processors available.

Hey! The last prebuilt I owned was a 286. I even built 10-12 PCs for family over the years.

OTOH, my parents' current PC is a pre-built. But that's because CargoLargo mislabeled a PC as a PC Case, and sold them an i7 with 3TB internal for $19.95 :-)

The funniest part was, the $19.95 price sticker and bar code was plastered right next to the Spec Sticker showing the internals and the Microsoft seal showing it had Win10 and Office 2016 installed.
[Reply]
Otter 08:38 PM 08-14-2017

It's actually fun to build as well and if something does go wrong down the road you have an idea of how to approach identifying and fixing the issue as opposed to waiting for and paying someone else to resolve the problem for you.
[Reply]
eDave 09:11 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by Otter:
It's actually fun to build as well and if something does go wrong down the road you have an idea of how to approach identifying and fixing the issue as opposed to waiting for and paying someone else to resolve the problem for you.
This. I know my machine.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:53 PM 08-15-2017
Are any details forthcoming, or is the issue moot?

People are being polite, but asking if prebuilt PCs are bullshit is a lot like asking if a prebuilt car is bullshit.

Depends on the particular car/PC, and what you consider bullshit.

Brand, specs, price, etc would go a long way towards obtaining useful response.
[Reply]
Up