ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What do you think about this potential playoff system?
I like it. Make it happen. 13 54.17%
I'd approve it if it happened. It seems reasonable. 4 16.67%
I care little about admin. Do whatever you want and I'll watch. 3 12.50%
I'm not a fan of this. I would be bothered by it. 4 16.67%
This idea is swill! It makes me vomit in my mouth! 0 0%
I'm a broncos fan, so the playoffs are irrelevant. Do whatever you want. 0 0%
I like the word "playoff". It sounds so recreational. What was the poll question again? 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>My latest idea for playoff seedings.
Rain Man 09:29 PM 11-23-2020
I'm looking at the playoff seedings as they stand now, and with the playoff changes there are a lot of teams involved. Right now, the Steelers are playing against teams like Jacksonville and the NFC East, so they're the #1 seed even though we all know that they're frauds.

As the #2 seed, we would be matched up against the #7 seed, which is currently the Raiders. They may not be the easiest matchup in the field based on what we've seen. And then I look over at the NFC, and right now the #5 Buccaneers featuring the world's oldest quarterback are matched up against the #4 Eagles, who are probably the 27th best team in the league.

So it occurred to me that we could make playoff seedings a lot more fun and a lot more fair with one simple change.

You track the seedings like they do now, but when the playoffs start, the #2 team gets to pick the team that they play. Then the #3 team picks, and #4 gets whoever is left. If you're the #2 team and you match up well against #3, then you make them come and play a road game against you.

This adds a lot of value to the #2 and #3 seeds because maybe you can pick off a weak division winner. It also would be fun because it would tick off teams that get picked and start grudges and rivalries.

What do you think?
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:34 PM 11-23-2020
Love it. Won’t happen because old guys who hate change but I think that would be lots of fun. Would immediately give the team the 2 seed picks a little motivation which could lead to a spirited effort.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 09:39 PM 11-23-2020
I'd be happy with the simple seeding by wins. I'm OK with division winners getting a playoff spot, but no way should they be guaranteed a home playoff game. In that regard, the NFC East winner would be a number 7 seed playing on the road against number 2. If you want a home playoff game, you need to win....
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:45 PM 11-23-2020

[Reply]
Jerok 09:56 PM 11-23-2020
This is new and exciting.

This idea has been around and discussed for years. You act like you came up with it.
[Reply]
digger 09:59 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by Jerok:

This idea has been around and discussed for years. You act like you came up with it.
Who pissed in your cheerios? (you a faider fan?)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 10:10 PM 11-23-2020

Liar! Rainman is the creator of this and it's awesome!
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:40 PM 11-23-2020

I did come up with it. Maybe someone else did as well, but it's my original idea, just like my plan for electric-powered cars.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:09 AM 11-24-2020

Your username has a typo. You accidentally added an “o”.
[Reply]
oldman 10:30 AM 11-24-2020
I didn't see a "We don't need another team in the playoffs" option. I fail to understand why this year, of all years, did we decide to change the format. Sure, there's extra games for the networks to make money on, but this isn't the NHL or (gag) the NBA.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:44 AM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
I'd be happy with the simple seeding by wins. I'm OK with division winners getting a playoff spot, but no way should they be guaranteed a home playoff game. In that regard, the NFC East winner would be a number 7 seed playing on the road against number 2. If you want a home playoff game, you need to win....
I've been on this train forever now. Seeding should be based on records. Division winners automatically get in, but if it's a 8-8 division winner, they might be the last seed and have to play on the road. Also I hate this change they've made to the playoffs. I wish it would go back to the way it was.

That said, I like this idea of the 2 and 3 seeds picking their opponent. That certainly would set up a lot of fun scenarios. And fun should be what this whole league is about. Unfortunately I can't see any possibility of it happening.
[Reply]
Graystoke 11:11 AM 11-24-2020

BAN
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 11:20 AM 11-24-2020
I've seen this idea kicked around before, maybe a year or 2 ago, doesn't mean that Rain Main didn't think of this on his own however.

For me, I'm not a fan. I'm more for the randomness of how the chips fall.
[Reply]
wazu 11:21 AM 11-24-2020
I would love this. Just imagine the absolute public insult every time a high seed named the team they WANT to play! And then if they lose...insanity. This is a brilliant concept, Rain Man.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 11:44 AM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
I'm okay with seeding by wins, but I don't agree that every division winner should automatically be in the playoffs, especially with years like this year's NFC East. There could legitimately be a 5-win team in the playoffs, which is just ridiculous. There are going to be good teams sitting at home watching the Eagles or Cowboys or Giants or Washington host a playoff game. I wonder if adding a caveat that all playoff teams must be above .500 would work.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up