ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Netflix: The Queen’s Gambit
BigRedChief 09:23 PM 11-16-2020
Who isn’t watching a pure fictional show about chess and it’s top players in the 60’s?

I know, WTF BRC? But wait, It’s so well made, acted that it’s worth your time. Get back with me with your flames if you don’t agree.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:12 AM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
I understand. In the show, one of the Russian peasants states she looks like Ann Margaret. I had such a crush on her and Anya does have her looks.

And you can play chess on her boobs?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 01:18 AM 12-03-2020
I binged watched it sometime a few weeks ago at the urging of the SO. Kept putting it off, because a movie about chess? Really glad I did. It was excellent. I love a good character movie and it was a good story too.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:31 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Just watched this series, thanks BRC! Really enjoyed it.
It's one of the rare times I watch something and am sorry when it ends. Just an all around great story.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 01:45 PM 12-03-2020
Wife and I watched it last weekend. She didn't know it was about Chess, figured it was something about the Royal family...heh.

It's amazing that Netflix can make a show about chess and it makes chess exciting and intriguing. I know the character is fictitious, but I guess the author of the book based many of the matches on real life matches over decades of world class chess.

It got a tad bit slow for me at some places, but on the whole I really enjoyed the shit out of this show.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:11 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Wife and I watched it last weekend. She didn't know it was about Chess, figured it was something about the Royal family...heh.

It's amazing that Netflix can make a show about chess and it makes chess exciting and intriguing. I know the character is fictitious, but I guess the author of the book based many of the matches on real life matches over decades of world class chess.

It got a tad bit slow for me at some places, but on the whole I really enjoyed the shit out of this show.
I found it interesting that the author of this book also wrote The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell To Earth. Guy could spin a story.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:11 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I binged watched it sometime a few weeks ago at the urging of the SO. Kept putting it off, because a movie about chess? Really glad I did. It was excellent. I love a good character movie and it was a good story too.
Told ya...
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:34 AM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I found it interesting that the author of this book also wrote The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell To Earth. Guy could spin a story.
Good list, that is very interesting. I kept expecting Bobby Fischer's name to come up as he was a household name when I was in Jr. Hi and High School. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer

Oh and I have just got to mention, a 67 Mustang was in a scene from 64 :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:16 AM 12-04-2020
Good list, that is very interesting. I kept expecting Bobby Fischer's name to come up as he was a household name when I was in Jr. Hi and High School. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer

The Benny character was loosely based on Bobby Fischer
[Reply]
vailpass 03:41 PM 12-04-2020

Good catch Ed! I'll look for that if I ever re-watch this.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:30 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
The Benny character was loosely based on Bobby Fischer
Yep, but I would almost say the red headed chick that kicked ass is also kind of based on Bobby Fisher. At that time, he was the American that kicked Russian ass on the chess board.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:44 PM 12-04-2020
Yep, but I would almost say the red headed chick that kicked ass is also kind of based on Bobby Fisher. At that time, he was the American that kicked Russian ass on the chess board.
Some brief googling says you’re right. Elements of the Beth character had similarities to Fischer.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
A Salt Weapon 11:20 PM 12-05-2020
Just finished the series and wow, really glad we decided to check it out because that was an amazing show.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:24 AM 12-06-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Some brief googling says you’re right. Elements of the Beth character had similarities to Fischer.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, back in the day Bobby Fischer truly was a household name, kind of like Jimmy Connors etc. were with tennis.

Do they still have pro tennis? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:34 AM 12-06-2020
Yeah, back in the day Bobby Fischer truly was a household name, kind of like Jimmy Connors etc. were with tennis.

Do they still have pro tennis? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. :-)
Saw a piece on this about a year ago. They forced the personality's out of tennis. They are all the same personality now on the court. Especially the men. In sports you need talent in the sport but especially in the lower rung sports and individual sports you have to have some individual personality. They were really stupid.
[Reply]
Hawk 02:11 PM 12-07-2020
Just watched this show over the weekend with my wife, and was surprised how much we both really enjoyed it. Great show. I was sorry when it ended.

ATJ is sneaky sexy for sure. Once she started dancing around drunk in her undies, that pretty much sealed it!

This show will clean up during award season. The costumes and settings were top notch and really had a great 50's - 60's feel. Music was excellent. ATJ is a shoo-in for nomination for best actress in a drama. Screenwriting was great as well. Very well done.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up