ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3345 of 3903
« First < 2345284532453295333533413342334333443345 33463347334833493355339534453845 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 12:08 PM 12-23-2020
God damn I can't hate the media enough at times...

Headline: NYC reports 'significant' COVID-19 vaccine reaction in health care worker

First paragraph:A health care worker in New York City suffered what officials are calling a "serious adverse event" after receiving Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine. The worker, who was not identified, is stable after being treated for a significant allergic reaction.

Second paragraph: "With more than 30,000 COVID-19 vaccinations administered in New York City, we have received a single report of a serious adverse event in a health care worker," the New York City Health Department said in a statement on Wednesday.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/nyc-r...th-care-worker

How can we scare people more???
[Reply]
DaFace 12:18 PM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
God damn I can't hate the media enough at times...

Headline: NYC reports 'significant' COVID-19 vaccine reaction in health care worker

First paragraph:A health care worker in New York City suffered what officials are calling a "serious adverse event" after receiving Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine. The worker, who was not identified, is stable after being treated for a significant allergic reaction.

Second paragraph: "With more than 30,000 COVID-19 vaccinations administered in New York City, we have received a single report of a serious adverse event in a health care worker," the New York City Health Department said in a statement on Wednesday.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/nyc-r...th-care-worker

How can we scare people more???
I'm a big fan of the book Factfulness for a variety of reasons, but one of the points he makes is that you should always be skeptical of what he calls "lonely numbers." Without context, we often have very little idea of how mundane or severe the situation might be.

In this case, I'd love to have an article that compares the incidence rate of allergic reactions to other common vaccines. That would be a much better way of understanding whether this is at all abnormal.

Regardless, as long as the reactions can be managed when they occur (which seems to be the case), I'm not too worried about it.
[Reply]
O.city 12:19 PM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm a big fan of the book Factfulness for a variety of reasons, but one of the points he makes is that you should always be skeptical of what he calls "lonely numbers." Without context, we often have very little idea of how mundane or severe the situation might be.

In this case, I'd love to have an article that compares the incidence rate of allergic reactions to other common vaccines. That would be a much better way of understanding whether this is at all abnormal.

Regardless, as long as the reactions can be managed when they occur (which seems to be the case), I'm not too worried about it.
Pretty much.

I had to take a couple biostatistics classes in college. They were boring but also I learned alot about stuff like that.

"9 people had a terrible reaction to this vaccine and are in critical care".

When in actuality, it's well below the normal setting for those vaccinated. It is what it is I guess
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:22 PM 12-23-2020
I’m also a professor of virology at Columbia University in New York. I’ve been doing research on viruses since 1976, and teaching virology in classrooms and online since 1999. On this YouTube channel I share videos of my lectures, podcasts, and more.

Vincent explains the properties of the SARS-CoV-2 UK variant and why claims that it is more transmissible are not supported by experimental data.

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:01 PM 12-23-2020
Grade III Adverse Reactions are considered serious, but are not life-threatening
[Reply]
el borracho 02:20 PM 12-23-2020
Questions for those who know more than I:

I am recovering from covid, almost two weeks since the onset of symptoms. I never had a fever, but still have a lingering dry cough. Is it safe for me to return to the world, or am I still a potential carrier?

Also, live-in girlfriend has managed not to catch it from me so far. She has tested negative three times to date. If, at some point, she does get covid would I be required to quarantine again? Or will I no longer be a potential carrier since I have had it and recovered?
[Reply]
O.city 02:26 PM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by el borracho:

I am recovering from covid, almost two weeks since the onset of symptoms. I never had a fever, but still have a lingering dry cough. Is it safe for me to return to the world, or am I still a potential carrier?

Also, live-in girlfriend has managed not to catch it from me so far. She has tested negative three times to date. If, at some point, she does get covid would I be required to quarantine again? Or will I no longer be a potential carrier since I have had it and recovered?
10 days post onset of symptoms you are considered released from quarantine.

If she hasn't gotten it yet, she's gotta finish out her 14 days I think. No, you should not be required to be quarantined again shoudl she get it.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:30 PM 12-23-2020

Here is how our local health departments are handling it-

Lingering dry cough shouldn't be an issue as long as you have had no other symptoms for 5 consecutive days.

Your GF should be able to return to work given a negative test after 7 days from your last symptoms (dry cough not included in this case) or 10 days without a test. The 14 day standard no longer applies unless you WANT to do it.

We have had employees with a cough for weeks after recovery.
[Reply]
jdubya 02:53 PM 12-23-2020

Following:
My son had symptoms beginning Sunday the 13th. He tested positive Friday the 18th. As of yesterday his main complaints are dry persistent cough and head aches. He thinks his last fever was "a couple days ago".

One doctor told us he needs to wait 14 days post testing positive regardless of symptom onset.

Other sites say 10 days from symptom onset and needs to be fever free for 24 hours.

Mom and I just want to see him on Christmas but my son doesnt want to get us sick.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:00 PM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Following:

My son had symptoms beginning Sunday the 13th. He tested positive Friday the 18th. As of yesterday his main complaints are dry persistent cough and head aches. He thinks his last fever was "a couple days ago".

One doctor told us he needs to wait 14 days post testing positive regardless of symptom onset.

Other sites say 10 days from symptom onset and needs to be fever free for 24 hours.

Mom and I just want to see him on Christmas but my son doesnt want to get us sick.
Most likely you are safe...but I can understand the concern. If he has no fever you're probably good...probably

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaFace 03:05 PM 12-23-2020
Following:

FWIW, my healthcare provider (Kaiser Permanente) says to isolate for 10 days from onset of symptoms (assuming no fever or other symptoms for at least 24 hours). That's consistent with the current CDC recommenations:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html
[Reply]
jdubya 03:56 PM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Most likely you are safe...but I can understand the concern. If he has no fever you're probably good...probably

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wife and I are healthy in our mid 50`s but both are past cancer survivors. My son doesnt want to take any chances.

FWIW, my healthcare provider (Kaiser Permanente) says to isolate for 10 days from onset of symptoms (assuming no fever or other symptoms for at least 24 hours). That's consistent with the current CDC recommenations:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html
Christmas will be 12 days since first onset of symptoms but he still has dry cough AND head aches. I have read that mild symptoms can last for months but patient is no longer contagious after 10-14 days. Its funny how each county health dept. and hospitals have their own individual recommendations lol

Thanks for the responses
[Reply]
DaFace 04:04 PM 12-23-2020
Wife and I are healthy in our mid 50`s but both are past cancer survivors. My son doesnt want to take any chances.

Christmas will be 12 days since first onset of symptoms but he still has dry cough AND head aches. I have read that mild symptoms can last for months but patient is no longer contagious after 10-14 days. Its funny how each county health dept. and hospitals have their own individual recommendations lol

Thanks for the responses
Any possibility of doing a hybrid approach? Only hanging out outside or in a ventilated garage maybe?

Obviously your risk tolerance is up to you. I'd guess you're in a reasonably safe situation, but given your son's aversion to taking any risks, I certainly wouldn't blame you for being careful.

With my own family (dad has asthma and heart conditions), I look at it this way: we're near the finish line with this damn thing. I'd rather not be the one to end it like this guy:

[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:26 PM 12-23-2020
Good news on the vaccine quantity front. Assuming manufacturing capacity doesn't become a problem, Pfizer and Moderna combined should let us vaccinate 200 million people by early summer.

I'm kind of tentatively targeting the 4th of July as a "pop the champagne" return to normalcy. It would be great if summer celebrations could help us all feel like we're through this thing.
I'm thinking as a "society" it will be the beginning of the football season/Labor day/beginning of the school year due to logistical issues getting the vaccine into arms. Lack of desire to take the vaccine in certain groups.

Like most here, if I get the vaccine before others had their chance, I'll still practice what others are doing to respect them and not get grief from not wearing a mask/social distancing. Others can tell their fellow citizens to **** off if challenged.

Now, after everyones had their chance, thats on you if you get the Covid, not me.

[Reply]
O.city 04:32 PM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I'm thinking as a "society" it will be the beginning of the football season/Labor day/beginning of the school year due to logistical issues getting the vaccine into arms. Lack of desire to take the vaccine in certain groups.

Like most here, if I get the vaccine before others had their chance, I'll still practice what others are doing to respect them and not get grief from not wearing a mask/social distancing. Others can tell their fellow citizens to **** off if challenged.

Now, after everyones had their chance, thats on you if you get the Covid, not me.

Once you get the vaccine out where it's readily available to everyone, you fully open up and move on.

If thats the beginning of the spring/mid/summer etc.

At that point, it's everyones choice, like it or not.
[Reply]
Page 3345 of 3903
« First < 2345284532453295333533413342334333443345 33463347334833493355339534453845 > Last »
Up