ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3344 of 3903
« First < 2344284432443294333433403341334233433344 33453346334733483354339434443844 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 08:01 PM 12-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yep.

It’s a very nuanced discussion though, which means, not well suited for chiefsplanet. :-)
It's almost a no-brainer. Care facilities, meat packing plants and prisons are the highest clusters. 70+ is by far the largest group for deaths. I think you split or do your best to balance between healthcare workers and 70+.

Get the 70+ taken care of and the death rate will drop exponentially. Then start getting everyone else done and the cases will start to drop.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:03 PM 12-22-2020
Inoculating the essential workers and such would be the best way and fastest way to keep the economy going while you are building up vaccines for everyone.

Seems like that would be what everyone whose biggest concern was the economy and such would prefer
Look at it like this...essential workers have come this far doing fairly well. Knock out the deaths and I think you the easing for the economy will start based off that alone.

It's a 6-1 to a degree but I can see where getting the death count down takes away a great deal of the fear factor.
[Reply]
O.city 08:06 PM 12-22-2020
Spending trends down as people hunker down when cases and hospitals and such are what they are.

It’s a tough unique situation on that discussion.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:10 PM 12-22-2020
Spending trends down as people hunker down when cases and hospitals and such are what they are.

It’s a tough unique situation on that discussion.
I agree. But if the death count starts to drop thus shedding light on the fact that most people will not die I think people will hunker down less.

Right now I think we can agree the death rate is largely due in part to 70+ individuals. But when someone just sees 3,000 people died today they don't stop to break it down.
[Reply]
O.city 08:13 PM 12-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I agree. But if the death count starts to drop thus shedding light on the fact that most people will not die I think people will hunker down less.

Right now I think we can agree the death rate is largely due in part to 70+ individuals. But when someone just sees 3,000 people died today they don't stop to break it down.
It’s not just “die be don’t die”

People don’t want to get sick, have people around them sick. Until they feel safe it’ll be slow going.

Which is why the vaccine and such is such a big deal
[Reply]
petegz28 08:16 PM 12-22-2020
It’s not just “die be don’t die”

People don’t want to get sick, have people around them sick. Until they feel safe it’ll be slow going.

Which is why the vaccine and such is such a big deal
I agree but I think the death count is the primary reason people are hunkering down. Let's just say when I talk to people who are afraid of this "getting sick" isn't usually what they are afraid of, it's dying.
[Reply]
O.city 08:21 PM 12-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I agree but I think the death count is the primary reason people are hunkering down. Let's just say when I talk to people who are afraid of this "getting sick" isn't usually what they are afraid of, it's dying.
Gotta get sick before you’re gonna die from it
[Reply]
petegz28 08:30 PM 12-22-2020
Gotta get sick before you’re gonna die from it
Yeah but death has a funny way of making people think otherwise....
[Reply]
Redbled 10:03 PM 12-22-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Holy shit.

Are we being trolled? Seems like a breakthrough.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:45 PM 12-22-2020
Inoculating the essential workers and such would be the best way and fastest way to keep the economy going while you are building up vaccines for everyone.

Seems like that would be what everyone whose biggest concern was the economy and such would prefer
At this point, the economy is what it is. I don't think anything is going to keep things going because politicians have way too much invested in making sure everything continues to crawl, vaccine or no.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:10 AM 12-23-2020
Yep.

It’s a very nuanced discussion though, which means, not well suited for chiefsplanet. :-)
There is a very real theory that says vaccinating the people who aren't hunkered down in nursing homes etc...is the fastest way to herd immunity.

People confined to their homes aren't spreading covid, the people still doing every day jobs as mundane as stocking shelves in grocery stores are a larger risk of spread.

The faster you stop spread the faster this goes away.

So priority would go health workers first then everyone else. If you vaccinate all the hospital and nursing home care givers that should stop that spread there, then you go on to everyone else still moving around out in the community.
[Reply]
O.city 11:34 AM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
There is a very real theory that says vaccinating the people who aren't hunkered down in nursing homes etc...is the fastest way to herd immunity.

People confined to their homes aren't spreading covid, the people still doing every day jobs as mundane as stocking shelves in grocery stores are a larger risk of spread.

The faster you stop spread the faster this goes away.

So priority would go health workers first then everyone else. If you vaccinate all the hospital and nursing home care givers that should stop that spread there, then you go on to everyone else still moving around out in the community.
Like I said, it's a very nuanced conversation. It's not black and white.

For instance, the people in nursing homes are getting it from people coming in and out, not hte people already there. So vaccinate the workers and such.

The elderly get hit hard and thats where a large portion of deaths come from, but they aren't exactly super spreaders and such. The younger handle it better, but they spread it more.

It's a tough situation.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:35 AM 12-23-2020
Like I said, it's a very nuanced conversation. It's not black and white.

The elderly get hit hard and thats where a large portion of deaths come from, but they aren't exactly super spreaders and such. The younger handle it better, but they spread it more.

It's a tough situation.
Yeah, there's no "right" answer. I personally think it makes sense to drop the death rate first and slow the spread second, but one could argue that you'd accomplish the former with the latter.

I bet someone could create a model for it that we could all debate the accuracy of. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 11:41 AM 12-23-2020
Good news on the vaccine quantity front. Assuming manufacturing capacity doesn't become a problem, Pfizer and Moderna combined should let us vaccinate 200 million people by early summer.

NEW: The Trump administration and Pfizer have reached a deal to supply an additional 100 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for the U.S. by the end of July, bringing the total to 200 million doses that will vaccinate 100 million Americans. https://t.co/twaXPHiRnX

— The New York Times (@nytimes) December 23, 2020

I'm kind of tentatively targeting the 4th of July as a "pop the champagne" return to normalcy. It would be great if summer celebrations could help us all feel like we're through this thing.
[Reply]
Donger 11:45 AM 12-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Good news on the vaccine quantity front. Assuming manufacturing capacity doesn't become a problem, Pfizer and Moderna combined should let us vaccinate 200 million people by early summer.

I'm kind of tentatively targeting the 4th of July as a "pop the champagne" return to normalcy. It would be great if summer celebrations could help us all feel like we're through this thing.
Political post. Reported.
[Reply]
Page 3344 of 3903
« First < 2344284432443294333433403341334233433344 33453346334733483354339434443844 > Last »
Up