ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 21
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins will officially be back
carcosa 03:39 AM 04-03-2020

The Chiefs have reached an agreement with Sammy Watkins on a new 1-year deal that will pay him a base of $9m for 2020 with an incentive package that can reach $16m, a source tells me.

The move creates $5m in cap space for the Chiefs to operate this offseason.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) April 3, 2020

I think this is nice!
[Reply]
Mecca 02:56 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Except he's never really been a 3rd safety.

He had only three starts in 2019 but had 2 INT's, 2 QB Hits and 57 tackles during the regular season.

He's a Baller and until someone else can step up (I thought DOD would be the guy but he hasn't been so far), he'll be on the roster.
It's a spot they are going to have to actively draft to replace before long, when some of these huge deals kickin it won't be possible to have those types of deals.

I was actually going over cap numbers the Chiefs have something like 23 million dollars allocated to the safety position. I believe that is the highest in the league.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:01 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's a spot they are going to have to actively draft to replace before long, when some of these huge deals kickin it won't be possible to have those types of deals.

I was actually going over cap numbers the Chiefs have something like 23 million dollars allocated to the safety position. I believe that is the highest in the league.
Agreed.

I was really high on DOD due to his athleticism, speed and play at Clemson but for whatever reason, he just hasn't been able to break through.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:03 PM 04-03-2020
His cap number is nearly 5 million dollars, that's quite a bit for a 3rd safety.
He’s only here for 1 more year and he’s proven himself to be a very valuable piece to our team. I don’t mind keeping him one more season why we look for a replacement.

Lot of you guys forget we have almost $69 million in 2021 before doing anything. A lot is coming off the books after this season.

That’s plenty to get Jones and Mahomes signed.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:05 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
He’s only here for 1 more year and he’s proven himself to be a very valuable piece to our team. I don’t mind keeping him one more season why we look for a replacement.

Lot of you guys forget we have almost $69 million in 2021 before doing anything. A lot is coming off the books after this season.

That’s plenty to get Jones and Mahomes signed.
Yea but you also have to replace all those guys coming off......that also doesn't even factor in that we're going to be in a spot of if Fisher and Schwartz both want raises you have to pick one and replace the other...

We'll likely need a starting DE...there are going to be some big money holes to fill.
[Reply]
Brody Wa 03:06 PM 04-03-2020
Mark my words, the KC Chiefs will be the favorites to win the SB in 21 and I’m going to go so far as to say they will win it 2021-if we’re talking about the SB next next year.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:07 PM 04-03-2020
Yea but you also have to replace all those guys coming off......that also doesn't even factor in that we're going to be in a spot of if Fisher and Schwartz both want raises you have to pick one and replace the other...

We'll likely need a starting DE...there are going to be some big money holes to fill.
Next year is clearly the year for the Chiefs to hit on their early draft picks, as they'll have their full compliment of picks and somewhere around 3 Comp Picks, at least one of which should be a 3rd rounder.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:07 PM 04-03-2020
Except he's never really been a 3rd safety.

He had only three starts in 2019 but had 2 INT's, 2 QB Hits and 57 tackles during the regular season.

He's a Baller and until someone else can step up (I thought DOD would be the guy but he hasn't been so far), he'll be on the roster.
Yeah, "3rd safety" is a term that tries to diminish his actual role on this team, especially considering how often we use that "3rd safety".

He's basically a freakin starter.

It's like saying Hardman is just a "4th WR"
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:10 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Yeah, "3rd safety" is a term that tries to diminish his actual role on this team, especially considering how often we use that "3rd safety".

I've said this before but if Sorensen was 1/10th of a second faster, he'd be looked upon in the same category of an Eric Weddle.

That said, while he's not as fast as Weddle, the guy just continues to come up big in the Chiefs most important games.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:12 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

That's fine, he's also at decline age so it is something to watch closely, especially as a DB.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:14 PM 04-03-2020

Definitely, though I’m not sure why you’re bringing up Fisher and Schwartz when we redid one of their deals and then gave a raise to the other last off-season.

I think the draft this year will be very similar to Dorsey’s. It won’t be strictly BPA, but it will lean on replacing high priced players for 2021.

At this point I don’t care so much about position but whether we hit on the player.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:17 PM 04-03-2020
Sorensen is in the last year of his deal and loves KC and the team loves him.

This is probably his last year in KC and I’ll wish him luck in landing somewhere in 2021 unless he returns for a 1 year cheap deal.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 03:17 PM 04-03-2020
It would be 4 years of "cheap control", not 5, under the old CBA and definitely under the new CBA:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...020-and-beyond

If a player makes the Pro Bowl twice in their first three seasons, their fifth-year option will spike to the price of the franchise tag.

At that point, depending on the position, teams may choose to let those guys walk and take a Comp Pick instead.
That's good to know, but I don't think a Reid/Mahomes RB is going to make the probowl. They just won't see the volume.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:21 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Definitely, though I’m not sure why you’re bringing up Fisher and Schwartz when we redid one of their deals and then gave a raise to the other last off-season.

I think the draft this year will be very similar to Dorsey’s. It won’t be strictly BPA, but it will lean on replacing high priced players for 2021.

At this point I don’t care so much about position but whether we hit on the player.
I'm bringing it up because of this.......

Eric Fishers last year under contract is 2021, his cap number is 14.6 million, that is really good for a starting LT, he's not an all pro but for a guy who probably slots in between 12-15 not bad at all. He'll be 30.....if he wants a significant raise you have to ponder if you want to keep him because well one of the best things about him is he doesn't make a fuckton of money like say Taylor Lewan does.

Schwartz deal expires at the same time and his number is 10 mill and he'll be 32........

Maybe it's just me but if Fisher wants like 18-20 per year and Schwartz does too........or there is any sign of decline at those ages this could be a real problem with both guys expiring together.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 03:21 PM 04-03-2020
Every year, people on CP scream that Sorensen should be cut and every year, Sorensen proves his value, especially in crunch time.

There isn't a Hybrid Safety/3rd Down linebacker available in free agency or without the use of a high draft choice that can bring what Sorensen brings to the Chiefs each year, especially given his low cap number.
I think Sorenson deals with residual disdain for Frank Zombo. I'm serious. They played together and Zombo was just meh. Sorenson is actually good.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:24 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
That's good to know, but I don't think a Reid/Mahomes RB is going to make the probowl. They just won't see the volume.
Maybe, but Kareem Hunt most certainly would have hit two Pro Bowls in his first three seasons had it not been for the incident.

Damien Williams is really the only back on the Chiefs that is anywhere near a Pro Bowl running back or a #1 RB. IMO, it would be prudent for the Chiefs to take a guy with one of their picks before the fourth round because they won't be able to rely on Thompson or Darrel Williams for 16 games, let alone, 19, if Williams is out again for an extended period of time.

There are several guys that should be available in the first three rounds that could jump in Day One and be very successful.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 21
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Up