ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 3903
« First < 263233343536 3738394046861365361036 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rain Man 10:20 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
No shit. This out dated firm handshake BS is some cro-magnum mad men level of thinking. My hands are usually way bigger than whom I meeting. I’m 6 inches and 100 lbs bigger than them. I go in trying to show some dominance with a “firm” handshake, they ain’t giving me a job. At least 40% are women too. I’m supposed to crush their hands too? GTFO.
I've read that the origin of a handshake was to prove that a person was unarmed. So when we meet new people and don't feel like shaking hands, we should just look them square in the eye and say, "I am carrying no weapons. Can you say the same?"

I suspect that would work well in job interviews, and in any other situation as well.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:30 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by :
Fucking cdc man. This thing has been roaming around western Washington since at least the first confirmed case. I’ve had multiple patients who have been flu negative with all the symptoms of covid-19. Multiple lobe pneumonia, ground glass on ct scan, low grade fever, no known source. All of these patients should have been tested, but the cdc wouldn’t let them be unless they traveled to a high risk area. I’m waiting for one of them to test positive, then my ass will be in quarantine lol.

China gave us over a month to prepare for this and we shit the bed. If this disease had arisen in a major American city rather than the other side of the world we would have been well and truly fucked. As it is I wouldn’t be surprised if there is 50-100 people who are or have been sick for every one who has been confirmed right now.

We still don’t have point of care rapid tests for this. We have to send it to the state lab.
From a doctor on another forum.

Also this from Miami:

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/03/0...roper-testing/

Originally Posted by :
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – In what may be the first case of coronavirus in South Florida, a woman who recently returned home from Italy says she was told by doctors at Jackson Memorial Hospital that she “likely” has COVID-19, but that they are unable to verify it because state and federal officials refused to conduct the necessary tests to confirm it.

“The doctor himself told me that, you know, he thinks that the results of my [preliminary] tests mean that I most likely have the COVID-19, but that the Department of Health did not want to pursue it further,” said the woman, who requested that her name not be used to protect her privacy. “It was either the Department of Health or the CDC that decided not to further pursue the inquiry. But I was basically told that it is most likely that I have this virus and that I should self-quarantine.”

“Obviously, I would have liked to know if, in fact, I have this virus.”

[Reply]
F150 10:42 PM 03-02-2020

More accurate info Corona/Italy
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:10 PM 03-02-2020
Florence is not in Northern Italy. Some parts of Italy are ok at the moment. I have a friend who at least at the moment is still planning on going to Rome and Amalfi in a couple months.

My friend in Germany said his son's school trip to Rome was just canceled though.

Italy seems to be taking this a lot more seriously than the US though. We seem to be going out of our way to not test people.

From the Italy outbreak wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...break_in_Italy

[Reply]
suzzer99 11:24 PM 03-02-2020

Calibrate intuition from math. Assume *roughly*:

2% fatality rate (JAMA)
~4 weeks from infection to death for fatal cases (WHO)
7 day doubling time (NEJM)

Then a report of one death today would mean 50 infected four weeks ago — and 800 cases today. pic.twitter.com/3dYUIOWVdZ

— Balaji S. Srinivasan (@balajis) March 2, 2020

[Reply]
Cleavage 11:41 PM 03-02-2020
Awwww fuck...I picked up DISTILLED water!!!!!
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:04 AM 03-03-2020
Wait are you supposed to get a different kind?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:16 AM 03-03-2020
I prefer the 80 proof kind
[Reply]
LiveSteam 12:45 AM 03-03-2020
Ya had time to impeach.. Ya waited on purpose. So you could lock down the Senate.
[Reply]
Sorry 01:20 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Hahaha, well, it worked for me, dipstick.

I was the number 1 regional manager for 6 years running. Had a higher recruit retention rate than any other regional manager in the country. And my office managers, the guys and girls I recruited and trained, were consistently some of the best recruiters/trainers and producers nationally year in, year out.

I was the guy at the annual conference meeting that other regionals and office managers sought out and asked me for pointers on how I recruited and trained my people.
Weird flex
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:24 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Weird flex
Sometimes I forget that most people haven't had the experiences that I've had. I assume too much commonality.

The short version here is that I learned and operated by a specific set of rules and 'algorithms,' if you will. A system. Taught to me by the guy who recruited and mentored me, who was taught by the guy who recruited him. That included everything from how to sell a product to how to recruit, how to manage people, and how to move up the ladder. So even an introductory interview with a candidate was governed by a set of rules and basically a kind of flow chart. It was typically about 10 minutes long and a number of boxes were checked. If the candidate didn't check at least 70% of those boxes, "sorry, have a nice day."

Some of those boxes were go/no-go boxes. "Look me in the eye and give me a decent handshake," was one of those boxes. Another was appropriate dress. Or at least the attempt to look professional.

Because the reality was that the candidate was in my office that day for 10 minutes selling himself to our clients. And our clients were expecting uber-professional reps to promote their product or whatever. Not some dipstick that had a problem shaking hands. Or some dumbass that couldn't be bothered to wear slacks and a button-down shirt. Or whatever personal quirk they might have. I needed professionals.

You have to understand we're talking about cold-call face-to-face business office sales here. This wasn't some cubicle drone "warm body" job where you could get by just by existing and showing up on time most days.

I was interviewing 100-130 people a week, trying to find at least 10-15 to bring back for a follow-up interview. I'd generally hire 5-7 of those a week. That's 20-30 candidates a month, and the company average was you'd only have 5-7 of those guys still working for you in 3 months. I usually kept 10-13.

But that was because I only brought back really professional looking and acting people that ticked most of the boxes, and then I trained the shit out of them. 9 hours a day for 6 days on-the-job training. Then turn them loose on their own territory. Retrain them after a week. And again two weeks later. Rinse and repeat until they could go out and net at least $800-$1000/week selling the lowest-end products we had. But with the understanding that I didn't want them out there doing that nonsense. I wanted to promote them to trainer, then recruiter. Then assistant manager. Sooner rather than later.

If you were just a career salesman, or just some wanker looking for a job to fill time, I wasn't interested. Some other managers would keep the career sales guys because they could put up consistent good numbers. I never did because they were like a cancer sooner or later. They weren't team guys, and they inevitably would do something stupid to make a number, and either piss off a client or a customer. And the worst case of that was that behavior infecting the rest of the crew, who then repeated it and cost us either customers or a client, or both.

So I didn't have to time to fool around wondering if a candidate might be worth the time to bring back. I had to know it. My recruiter taught me the system piece by piece, and I just made it my mantra.

By the time they made me a manager I had talked to over 150,000 customers. Over a 1000 people a week. You learn to read body language, tone of voice, diction, phraseology . . . tells, essentially. I could tell if you were a buyer or not in less than 3 minutes. Then they had me selling our company to prospective clients. Marketing managers and Advertising directors of some pretty big companies.

So figuring out if some guy/girl was worth the trouble of bringing in for training took about 5 minutes. Because I wasn't looking for some JAG to fill a position. I was looking for a guy/girl that wanted to be successful and become an assistant manager, at the very least. Someone with real potential beyond the entry-level "I'm selling shit" BS.

I needed to find and train people that could learn the system, learn to teach, train and recruit, exactly the same as how I taught them to do those things. So that when my boss called me up and asked me if I had anyone that could become the assistant manager for the new Austin TX office, I could say, "yeah I got a couple guys/girls that I KNOW will be able to do the job. When do you need them?"

Because my ability to train solid assistant managers on a consistent basis that my bosses could place with confidence is what got me promoted eventually to regional manager.

So maybe from the outside the handshake thing seems trivial. But from where I was sitting at the time, it was essential.

Okay, ramble rant over. Don't know why I did that. I'm not even in that business anymore.
[Reply]
Frosty 11:01 AM 03-03-2020
I live in the northeast corner of Washington state in a small town. I work in a larger nearby town that is still pretty small. The school district in the town I work in is closed this week because of a suspected case of Covid 19. My wife works in the school district for the town we live in and said about a quarter of the kids were gone yesterday. Some of them are because of colds and flu but most are probably just parents keeping them home out of fear.

The worrying thing for me is that my son goes to the University of Washington in Seattle. There haven't been any cases reported on campus yet despite the high amount of Chinese students but there is some pressure being applied to close campus to avoid an outbreak. That would severely suck because he is a quarter away from graduating and has a job waiting for him as soon as he is done. Going back for another quarter next spring would be a major pain.

Fortunately, it's stating to warm up here which usually slows colds and flus. Hopefully the warmer weather will slow the outbreak enough for them to get out in front of it eventually.
[Reply]
Donger 11:08 AM 03-03-2020
106 cases now. I think that's pretty good, really.
[Reply]
TLO 11:09 AM 03-03-2020
Listened to the WHO daily conference again today. They are still preaching containment, containment, and more containment.

They are seeing some progress being made in Italy and South Korea. They've also said China had handled the outbreak well. WHO teams were skeptical of the Chinese reporting initially, but they say that their teams have confirmed the Chinese findings.

They also noted that they are finding it more and more likely that people who have the disease, but that are not showing symptoms are likely not spreading the disease.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:12 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Listened to the WHO daily conference again today. They are still preaching containment, containment, and more containment.

They are seeing some progress being made in Italy and South Korea. They've also said China had handled the outbreak well. WHO teams were skeptical of the Chinese reporting initially, but they say that their teams have confirmed the Chinese findings.

They also noted that they are finding it more and more likely that people who have the disease, but that are not showing symptoms are likely not spreading the disease.
Well, that would be a game changer.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 3903
« First < 263233343536 3738394046861365361036 > Last »
Up