ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 3903
« First < 182425262728 2930313238781285281028 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SupDock 09:33 AM 03-02-2020
https://rebelem.com/covid-19-the-nov...onavirus-2019/
[Reply]
SupDock 09:36 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by RN47:

I enjoy listening to Dr. Z podcasts; here he interviews an epidemiologist regarding the novel corona-virus. Worth a listen, IMO.

BLUF: No vaccines for about a year for this one; it's going to do what it will. Particle masks / N95 masks are merely a gesture for those not infected. If you already have it, it will help prevent you spreading to others...
Z Dogg is the man

Case update:

As of 7 PM March 1, GMT +8 there are 89,768 (+2,788 today vs +1,799 yesterday) confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:12 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
That isn't how it's calculated. It's called case fatality rate, if memory serves, and it's deaths divided by total cases. And, yes, it varies. If using just known outcomes, you could also say that ~50% of those who contract the virus (90,000 and 45,000) recover. We better hope that the recovery rate (when known) ends up being better than ~50%, because that will mean ~50% deaths.
It’s sort of pointless to worry about death rates at this point since the impact it has ranges from nothing to death and chances are a lot of people fall (or will fall) into the category of positive but not sick enough to ever get diagnosed. Which is one of the reasons that it will be hard to contain. But also one of the reasons trying to identify a mortality rate is a bit of a waste of time at this point. Not diminishing anything here — just saying it is impossible to know if it is .02%, 2.0%, or 20% at this point.
[Reply]
wazu 10:13 AM 03-02-2020
That isn't how it's calculated. It's called case fatality rate, if memory serves, and it's deaths divided by total cases. And, yes, it varies. If using just known outcomes, you could also say that ~50% of those who contract the virus (90,000 and 45,000) recover. We better hope that the recovery rate (when known) ends up being better than ~50%, because that will mean ~50% deaths.
No, you couldn’t. If a person hasn’t either recovered or died then they don’t yet have an “outcome”.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:14 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Schnitzel:
It’s silly to compare number of recoveries to number of deaths in the Western World at the moment, because the real outbreak in Europe happened during last week and it takes at least two weeks to officially recover.
Yeah, that's a good theory. If true, then it might also mean that if it's going to kill you, it does it pretty quickly. That would explain the high death rates now in Italy and South Korea.
[Reply]
Donger 10:18 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
No, you couldn’t. If a person hasn’t either recovered or died then they don’t yet have an “outcome”.
Sure you could. Recovered is a known outcome. So, we know that there have been 90,000 cases and 45,000 recoveries. So, recovery is ~50%. That is accurate, but that doesn't mean that it will stay at "only" 50% recovery (let's hope not).
[Reply]
Donger 10:20 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
It’s sort of pointless to worry about death rates at this point since the impact it has ranges from nothing to death and chances are a lot of people fall (or will fall) into the category of positive but not sick enough to ever get diagnosed. Which is one of the reasons that it will be hard to contain. But also one of the reasons trying to identify a mortality rate is a bit of a waste of time at this point. Not diminishing anything here — just saying it is impossible to know if it is .02%, 2.0%, or 20% at this point.
No, we do know, based on the figures we have. It's 3.4% overall. Will that change? Almost certainly.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:26 AM 03-02-2020
I just came back from a paint store. All disposable masks were GONE/SOLD OUT!
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:54 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
If anything like this were to ever get too far out of hand I'll just load up the family and head to the hunting cabin. Hybrid gas/wind/solar generator, guns and ammo for days, completely in the middle of nowhere, and enough game meat in the freezer to last a year.

That said, I'm sure we're going to look back on this and laugh when it's the first episode of VH1's "I Love the 20's."
Do you have enough gas to get there? Also if the roads are blocked you're screwed.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:59 AM 03-02-2020
Iran could be our look at what happens when a country doesn't take drastic steps to keep people off the streets/contain this thing. 34 deaths so far including people high up in govt. 2 people in AUS and one in NYC who recently returned from Iran have tested positive.

It seems very likely there are more deaths that aren't diagnosed. Infected rate is almost meaningless imo in a country that isn't aggressively testing everyone with symptoms.

We could soon have another data point outside Wuhan as to what it looks like when this goes supernova in a population.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:59 AM 03-02-2020
No, we do know, based on the figures we have. It's 3.4% overall. Will that change? Almost certainly.
What we know now is that it's a minimum of 3.4%. If everyone with an open case survives, it's 3.4%. If everyone with an open case dies, it's 49.1%. Based on what we see with closed cases, the best bet is 6.3%. But as noted earlier, it'll likely vary due to some issues like timing of the virus arrival in different areas and whether those Chinese precincts are accurately reporting deaths.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:01 AM 03-02-2020
Who knew the Apocalypse would involve so much math?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:01 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Do you have enough gas to get there? Also if the roads are blocked you're screwed.
This is what I was thinking.

If there's any looting or riots in KCMO I'm outta here first sign.

I wonder if I could boat my way down the river from Harrisonville to Stockton, too.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:03 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
The Four Horsemen are Add, Subtract, Multiply, and Divide.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:03 AM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Why do you think they teach math?
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 03-02-2020, 11:09 AM
This message has been deleted by L.A. Chieffan. Reason: My math sucks
Page 28 of 3903
« First < 182425262728 2930313238781285281028 > Last »
Up