ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1092 of 3903
« First < 925929921042108210881089109010911092 109310941095109611021142119215922092 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:17 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Would love to see a breakout of the underlying conditions because most regular people wouldn’t see some of those things as an “underlying condition” when you hear that term.
Like being obese?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:19 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Folks like that need to be called out. I get it that's just now how this society rolls.

I was at the store yesterday while entering I saw an older Asian touch every fucking part of a shopping cart and didn't take said cart. He didn't even bother wiping it down. I called him out over it. Does that make me look like an asshole? I don't care. Society needs to be more forceful on this front.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:31 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Interesting. I'll have to give it a look.

I'll throw this out there and i'm interested in your take: There seems to be a line of thinking that at some point the economy collapsing which I suppose could be more of a disaster than the virus itself. I agree with measures taken to combat the virus at this moment but what do you think we should do if in a few months we continue this economic downfall and there's little to suggest we've minimized the virus? It seems to be there will be a vaccine possibly by that point but I just don't see how we can go into the fall and do the samething thing we're doing for the 2nd wave. I'm also skeptical we will have a very effective treatment until this time next year. At that point won't the open everything up crowd have some credibility?
I think that faster and more robust economic stimuli are still needed. That will help. I think that what we need to be doing during this period of lockdown is protecting health care workers and limiting the spread as much as possible while ramping up production of PPE and ventilators as though we were in a wartime situation, because we are. We need enough PPE to not only protect the healthcare workers, but to protect each other when we are out in public and ensuring absolute adherence to wearing PPE. That means masks and hand sanitizer for everyone.

We need to be producing billions of masks, millions of gallons of hand sanitizer, and millions of containers of disinfecting wipes.

If we can do that, then you can ease restrictions substantially. I still don't think you could have restaurants and bars open (because people would have their masks off to eat), but you could open most businesses as long as people were wearing masks while working and adhering to some level of distancing.

Schools could be re-opened with temp scans at the entrance, and lunch could be served in classrooms to mitigate exposure.

Travelers in airports should be required to wear N95 masks before they set foot in the airport. No one in the door or on a shuttle unless they're wearing one.

If hotspots re-emerged, then you could have rolling quarantines of those areas with travel restrictions.

It is a drastic step, but I think you could regain a substantial portion of economic activity while also limiting the spread of the virus and ensuring that hospitals are not overwhelmed.
[Reply]
SupDock 07:37 PM 04-03-2020
Two resident physicians have died in the last 24 hours in NYC.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 07:42 PM 04-03-2020
Another surprise that may be a gamechanger....and a ton of the research needed is done...

The FDA-approved Drug Ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...MKmqSeqsnIRidY

The big money research stall and lets do more study for big bucks wont like this at all
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:43 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I think that faster and more robust economic stimuli are still needed. That will help. I think that what we need to be doing during this period of lockdown is protecting health care workers and limiting the spread as much as possible while ramping up production of PPE and ventilators as though we were in a wartime situation, because we are. We need enough PPE to not only protect the healthcare workers, but to protect each other when we are out in public and ensuring absolute adherence to wearing PPE. That means masks and hand sanitizer for everyone.

We need to be producing billions of masks, millions of gallons of hand sanitizer, and millions of containers of disinfecting wipes.

If we can do that, then you can ease restrictions substantially. I still don't think you could have restaurants and bars open (because people would have their masks off to eat), but you could open most businesses as long as people were wearing masks while working and adhering to some level of distancing.

Schools could be re-opened with temp scans at the entrance, and lunch could be served in classrooms to mitigate exposure.

Travelers in airports should be required to wear N95 masks before they set foot in the airport. No one in the door or on a shuttle unless they're wearing one.

If hotspots re-emerged, then you could have rolling quarantines of those areas with travel restrictions.

It is a drastic step, but I think you could regain a substantial portion of economic activity while also limiting the spread of the virus and ensuring that hospitals are not overwhelmed.
I agree with all of what you said regarding the medical side. Of course I can't find the fucking article that outlines what other countries like Canada have done during this time that was vastly different than what we have done. Interestingly enough those countries who have done the same approach as Canada have a lower amount of job loss. Are you familiar with what I'm talking about? Would really be helpful if I could find the god damn article. My apologies I should have saved it.
[Reply]
SupDock 07:45 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Another surprise that may be a gamechanger....and a ton of the research needed is done...

The FDA-approved Drug Ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro

The big money research stall and lets do more study for big bucks wont like this at all
In vitro
[Reply]
Monticore 07:47 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Two resident physicians have died in the last 24 hours in NYC.
That’s the scary part one hospitalized patient no matter the age or condition can risk infecting a lot of medical workers over the course of their stay. ( doctors, nurses , lab, diagnostics, cleaning staff, clerks )Opening things up too early would be brutal on the health care workers. My wife has gotten a lot of requests from medical workers for stress leave and we haven’t even had a positive case at our hospital yet.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:51 PM 04-03-2020

CNN: 6,000 people in the United States have died from coronavirus.

— Ryan Struyk (@ryanstruyk) April 3, 2020

10 hours later

CNN: 7,000 people in the United States have died from coronavirus.

— Ryan Struyk (@ryanstruyk) April 3, 2020

[Reply]
JakeLV 07:52 PM 04-03-2020

#DYK? CDC’s recommendation on wearing a cloth face covering may help protect the most vulnerable from #COVID19. Watch @Surgeon_General Jerome Adams make a face covering in a few easy steps. https://t.co/bihJ3xEM15 pic.twitter.com/mE7Tf6y3MK

— CDC (@CDCgov) April 4, 2020

[Reply]
O.city 08:05 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

10 hours later

This is a little fear mongerish for me

7800 people die every day in American
[Reply]
DaFace 08:10 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
This is a little fear mongerish for me

7800 people die every day in American
It's also not like those are literally the number of deaths that happened in that time span. The pace is largely driven by when things get updated.
[Reply]
F150 08:10 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
In vitro
Its a start

Positive stuff.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:12 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:

Ivermectin demonstrates in vitro activity against numerous viruses, but it has not yet translated to in vivo activity.
[Reply]
farmerchief 08:20 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Ivermectin demonstrates in vitro activity against numerous viruses, but it has not yet translated to in vivo activity.
Hmm, we use ivermectin for worms and lice in cattle, I’ve got some in the cabinet. Hate to think about taking that stuff! Uggh
[Reply]
Page 1092 of 3903
« First < 925929921042108210881089109010911092 109310941095109611021142119215922092 > Last »
Up