ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1089 of 3903
« First < 895899891039107910851086108710881089 109010911092109310991139118915892089 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
kgrund 05:24 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I think they're going about this the right way given limited resources. If they can flatten the curve, they can likely perform a large antibody test on a large, random sample that will have both the specificity and sensitivity we need. However, given that hospital occupancy is demonstrating/ near exponential growth, it is highly unlikely there was large community spread prior to late February.
So in your opinion if NYC would have taken my approach from the start as opposed to the approach they took, they would not have a greater sense of the spread?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:27 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
So in your opinion if NYC would have taken my approach from the start as opposed to the approach they took, they would not have a greater sense of the spread?
I don't think they could have based on the paucity of tests and their poor sensitivity.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:27 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
JFC, 1,314 deaths today. 800 of them out of NY and NJ.
I'm consistently puzzled by your continued arguments that things aren't that bad and then surprise that the daily numbers keep climbing.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 05:28 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Was just reading through the article again where it states up to 50% of people may be asymptomatic.

In a way that's good, but in a way it's really bad. I just don't know..
That's why I think a more strategically targeted social distancing approach would work.

If at least 50% of people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic... part of the 80% of people with the virus with no or minimal symptoms... why not target the social distancing to the people we know who are most at risk of complications?

Elderly and people with underlying health conditions.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 05:29 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
Just got the call from my sister that she’s tested positive.
Best wishes to her. What's her location?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 05:32 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
That's why I think a more strategically targeted social distancing approach would work.

If at least 50% of people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic... part of the 80% of people with the virus with no or minimal symptoms... why not target the social distancing to the people we know who are most at risk of complications?

Where you getting this 50% number?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:33 PM 04-03-2020

Because hospitalization rates would not be sustainable with that degree of spread. Everyone in a hospital now was likely infected in Mid-March. With a virus that spreads exponentially, you aren't going to be able to adequately tamp down cases and the asymptomatic and those free to roam will still come into contact with the at-risk population at home, in care facilities, etc
[Reply]
O.city 05:36 PM 04-03-2020
Because hospitalization rates would not be sustainable with that degree of spread. Everyone in a hospital now was likely infected in Mid-March. With a virus that spreads exponentially, you aren't going to be able to adequately tamp down cases and the asymptomatic and those free to roam will still come into contact with the at-risk population at home, in care facilities, etc
My issue is, i just don't see the way out of this. You can't lock things down for that long, economically and such. People just can't do it. So what happens when you start opening back up? It's gonna spike again.
[Reply]
tk13 05:37 PM 04-03-2020

That other 50% is a large, large amount of people.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 05:39 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Where you getting this 50% number?
It's from a study in Iceland where they've tested 17,900+ people.

Originally Posted by :
Iceland lab's testing suggests 50% of coronavirus cases have no symptoms
Link to article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europ...ntl/index.html
[Reply]
O.city 05:40 PM 04-03-2020
Eh, the Iceland testing was that they were asymptomatic at the time. I think a portion of them ended up developing symptoms.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:41 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
My issue is, i just don't see the way out of this. You can't lock things down for that long, economically and such. People just can't do it. So what happens when you start opening back up? It's gonna spike again.
You stamp out the fire. Then, once the main blaze hasn't overwhelmed you, you can ease back.

What you don't do is move back into the house while the fire is still spreading.

You post a lot of stuff from Gottlieb. This is the plan he worked on with AEI.
[Reply]
O.city 05:45 PM 04-03-2020
You stamp out the fire. Then, once the main blaze hasn't overwhelmed you, you can ease back.

What you don't do is move back into the house while the fire is still spreading.

You post a lot of stuff from Gottlieb. This is the plan he worked on with AEI.
Yeah, his model is the best i've found. He's a really intelligent cat. It will work. But my question is whether we can have those systems in place to track it that quickly.

My biggest path forward thought is the therapeutics. I think prophylactic antibodies is the way it's gonna go. There's some interesting stuff with some of the small molecule stuff, but damn it's just hard to mass produce.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:46 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
Just got the call from my sister that she’s tested positive.
Sorry to hear. :-)
[Reply]
Jerm 05:47 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
okay so if nothing changed then why are 10 million people suddenly out of work, you can't go to see a movie or eat in a restaurant, you can't go to the gym, my kid can't go to school and there isn't a fucking bottle of hand sanatizer in any grocery store in the country?
Because even with those measures in place, people are still out and about everywhere and doing what ever....and the numbers keep climbing and climbing....
[Reply]
Page 1089 of 3903
« First < 895899891039107910851086108710881089 109010911092109310991139118915892089 > Last »
Up