ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones Agrees to 4-Year Contract Extension Ahead of Deadline
Shaid 11:37 AM 07-14-2020
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ad-of-deadline

While the deadline is approaching, the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a four-year contract extension with defensive tackle Chris Jones, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

Schefter noted the deal is worth $85 million with $60 million guaranteed.

The Chiefs placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones in March, guaranteeing him $16.1 million for the upcoming season. He and Kansas City have until 4 p.m. ET Wednesday to finalize a long-term contract.
[Reply]
Pants 12:41 PM 07-16-2020
Did Veach find a loophole in the Salay Cap with these guaranteed salaries 1 or 2 years in advance?
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 12:48 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by chop:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
More contract details for Chris Jones: *$37 million is due at signing. *$60 million is guaranteed for injury. *It's a four-year, $80 million deal, with $5 million in incentives, making value of contract up to $85 million. https://t.co/gDh7JtAzRg

If my reading comprehension is correct, the $37 million is the amount he is owed for the first two years of the contract and if he gets hurt (and cannot play again I'm assuming) he gets another $23 million.
So the cap number his first 2 years is 16 mil. and 21 mil. That's the 37 mil. right there. So his first two full years of salary were guaranteed at signing immediately.

His 3rd year cap # in 2022 is 23 million. That is also guaranteed if he were to sustain an injury and the Chiefs wanted to cut him prior to 2022. He still gets his money. Also, his 2022 salary is guaranteed if he is on the roster in 2021. That's the guarantee mechanism.

The fourth year cap hit is $20 mil. That's basically the only year that's not guaranteed. So the Chiefs could cut him prior to 2023 season with no cap implications.

So it's really a guaranteed 3 year deal.
[Reply]
Shields68 12:53 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
There’s gotta be a catch.. I think some of the salaries become guaranteed a couple years early, like Mahomes. Otherwise why the hell did Jones take that deal?
Guessing Jones gets a couple things out of the deal.

1) 60 million in case of injury. Which seems like it was a big motivation. He has consistently said he did not want to risk injury playing on the tag. He wanted to make sure he was set for life. 60 million just might accomplish that.

2) It seems to me the the 2021 salary is a few million over next years expected 2nd year tag number. So it seems like the Chiefs bought a option for 2 year 43 million contract for a couple million.

3) He avoids sitting out and getting nothing or risking injury playing on the tag 2 straight years.
[Reply]
Shields68 01:34 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Did Veach find a loophole in the Salay Cap with these guaranteed salaries 1 or 2 years in advance?
Guessing that coupled with no or little signing bonus actually makes it possible to waive the guy and not take a huge cap hit. Which in Jones case might actually be considered depending on performance. Some of the contracts with huge signing bonuses even though you have the right to cut them makes it very expensive to do so.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 07-16-2020, 01:38 PM
This message has been deleted by Bill Brasky.
DaneMcCloud 01:47 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
No, he's just expecting the salary cap to have a massive influx of revenues after the new TV deals are negotiated and signed before the 2021 season.

What he's done is no different than what the Vikings have done with Kirk Cousins the past few seasons in fully guaranteeing a multi-year contract.
[Reply]
chop 04:51 PM 07-16-2020
Just curious... if the Chiefs were to trade Jones this year would they still be on the hook for his entire salary since it was paid in advance? I know they aren't going to trade him this year but since it wasn't a signing bonus it made me wonder what would happen if they did.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 11:32 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Niemann absolutely had the incidental helmet to helmet and is the only non-call that 49ers fans can legitimately complain about, IMO (but like always, if you're left complaining about the refs, you likely had 10 other opportunities where your players could have won it on the field). Grapes was absolutely dazed after that shot but honestly to the naked eye I didn’t even realize it was a helmet to helmet shot until the replay. You are absolutely right that this play was the death of #becauseChiefs. Because while the Chiefs would be flagged 100% against Manning and Elway, you better believe the refs would have held that one in their pocket when Smith took the same shot.

The General NFL subreddit I follow concluded that this is a flag the refs are simply never going to throw at that juncture in the Super Bowl. Pat definitely took a couple of borderline hits too that likely would have been called in the regular season but no dice in the SB. Most Niners fans I follow no longer blame the refs (instead they rightly blame Shanny + Grapes), the only ones I still see with beef about the no-call are Patriots fans :-)
I have watched that play in slow motion, and I am not sure if his helmet even touches Jimmy G's helmet. I think he hits the shoulder pads, and it just looks like helmet to helmet because of the speed of the play. Jimmy hits the ground hard, and I think that's why he grabs his facemask.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06:43 PM 07-17-2020
Jones has a nice interview with Schefter today on IG.

Jones said he will win defensive player of the year next year

He is in the process of buying a house in KC and making it long term. He is also moving all of his family up to KC. I believe they live in Florida.

He has college funds accounts set up already for his kids

Called Veach his dawg for life because Veach was 100% honest with Jones throughout this process. Schefter also said Veach is one of the lowest paid GMs in the league
[Reply]
BossChief 09:16 PM 07-17-2020
Make Veach the highest paid GM in sports.

He deserves it.
[Reply]
Redbled 11:29 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:

He deserves it.
Yup and zero impact on the cap.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:30 AM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:

He deserves it.
I worry about Jerruh or someone offering him some ludicrous number that Clark can't match.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 12:54 AM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I worry about Jerruh or someone offering him some ludicrous number that Clark can't match.
But what would be the incentive as a GM to take another GM job? Especially when you work for a great owner, have the best or second best coach in the game, and have the best QB in the NFL? I guess I would understand it if you work for an awful franchise, but that's not the case here. Veach isn't going anywhere anytime soon, IMO.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:06 AM 07-18-2020
I hope so. But if he's making $2M now and Jerruh offers him $10M?

(Note: I have no idea what NFL GMs make. It doesn't seem to be public.)
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 01:11 AM 07-18-2020
Even if the Chiefs for whatever reason decided to lowball Brett Veach(they won't), Jerry Jones will never, ever give up control of the Cowboys. His ego is way too big.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:18 AM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
Even if the Chiefs for whatever reason decided to lowball Brett Veach(they won't), Jerry Jones will never, ever give up control of the Cowboys. His ego is way too big.
You seldom get a better example of someone who is their own worst enemy like Jerry’s ownership of the Cowboys.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Up