ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 19
« First < 51112131415 16171819 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones Agrees to 4-Year Contract Extension Ahead of Deadline
Shaid 11:37 AM 07-14-2020
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ad-of-deadline

While the deadline is approaching, the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a four-year contract extension with defensive tackle Chris Jones, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

Schefter noted the deal is worth $85 million with $60 million guaranteed.

The Chiefs placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones in March, guaranteeing him $16.1 million for the upcoming season. He and Kansas City have until 4 p.m. ET Wednesday to finalize a long-term contract.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:41 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Remember when King Carl used to piss players off so much in negotiations that they vowed to never sign another contract with the Chiefs? I don't miss those days.
It also led to him getting absolutely bent over to prevent angry players/agents from holding out.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:41 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
I always thought a football dynasty required 3 titles in 4 years.

That's how they defined it in the 90's, anyway.
I'm seeing a lot of 3 in 5 being the definition now.
[Reply]
notorious 05:44 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I'm seeing a lot of 3 in 5 being the definition now.
Works for me as long as the 2 years of not winning a title are still respectable.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:46 PM 07-15-2020
Works for me as long as the 2 years of not winning a title are still respectable.
Same. I think 2 in a row would also be huge for how this team is remembered/dynasty consideration, as that's proven to be a very difficult thing to do in this era.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:49 PM 07-15-2020

Yeah, that's kind of how I always thought of it as well. But according to an article I read a few weeks ago, apparently the 'new math' is something like at least 3 titles in a decade, along with the associated 'dominance' (appearing in the playoffs every season/appearing in the Conference championship game/series at least 50% of the time).
[Reply]
BossChief 06:21 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Same. I think 2 in a row would also be huge for how this team is remembered/dynasty consideration, as that's proven to be a very difficult thing to do in this era.
Fuck Dee Ford with a piano.

We should be going for our third in a row this year...
[Reply]
Brody Wa 06:39 PM 07-15-2020
The Chiefs are now at 4-1 odds to win the 2020 SB. They used to be at 5-1. Thats the lowest odds so far in the Patrick Mahomes era of the KC Chiefs.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:37 PM 07-15-2020
I still think the development of Saunders could yield a future w/ Jones taking a fair number of snaps at DE.

You wanna fix that run defense? Run a front 4 w/ Jones - Saunders - Nnadi - Clark.

That's 1200 lbs of human being on the DL and it only gets bigger if you put Pennell in there and we KNOW he can play. So even if Saunders doesn't develop into a strong asset, you still have the ability to play Jones on the edge in early downs.

There's no replacement for displacement and that DL displaces a LOT.

Jones has the first step, length, athleticism and agility to play DE. You play him on the strong side and he doesn't just set the edge, he collapses it. And he has the mass to play the SDE incredibly well even in an Under front. He could be the sort of force multiplier in an under-front that JJ Watt was when he was able to play DE in a 3-4 and still occupy/defeat 2 guys. In Watts prime the Texans were playing 3 guys on the line and getting the movement/coverage of 4. They were effectively playing 12 vs 11.

I'd love to see him spend more time on the edge. He could do some serious damage.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:43 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Both Jones and Mahomes took less than absolute top dollar. Neither maximized their deal for every cent they could get.

Speaks to the environment and these guys wanting to stay together. Jones could have easily pushed past Buckner's payday.
This may be naive, but I can only hope their attitude rubs off on the rest of the these guys.

They can have something ridiculously special as long as some of them don't get hella-greedy.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:44 PM 07-15-2020

Pre and early salary cap era. Bit different now.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:51 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
**** Dee Ford with a piano.

Not sure we see the changes that we did in 2019 if it isn’t for that mistake though. Is Mathieu our Clark ever on the team? Is Sutton fired?

Not sure we win both either way.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:00 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Not sure we see the changes that we did in 2019 if it isn’t for that mistake though. Is Mathieu our Clark ever on the team? Is Sutton fired?

Not sure we win both either way.
If the Chiefs had managed to win the 2018 AFCCG and then went on and beat the Rams in SB LIII Uncle Bob would still be our DC. How do you fire a SB-winning coach? Which means we'd still be saddled with Sutton and Dee Ford, Tyrann and Clark wouldn't have come over, and we'd still be the worst defense in the league.

Sometimes the best things come out of the worst circumstances.

Or so I tell myself every time something goes horribly awry . . .
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:05 PM 07-15-2020
Eh, if they win a title, Sutton is encouraged strongly to 'retire' behind the scenes.

There were too many steps towards a 4-3 conversion in 2018 to believe they didn't have something along those lines in mind.

I know we like trying to find a silver lining there but it takes more squinting than I can realistically manage. That offsides (or any of those !@#$ing 3rd and long conversions) will haunt me for awhile.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:07 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
**** Dee Ford with a piano.

It's kind of surreal to think about that Ford was very much inches away from bringing his team a title two years in a row. Was Mahomes dunking on Dee for the go-ahead touchdown in the Super Bowl poetic or what?
Attached: 65460131-E0EA-49F9-9417-5CBF6201F700.jpg (49.3 KB) 
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:40 PM 07-15-2020
If Veach can somehow get Tyreek, Mathieu and Ward locked up within the next two years I will literally suck his dick with no hands and will cradle his balls with my tongue.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 19
« First < 51112131415 16171819 >
Up