ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3530 of 3903
« First < 2530303034303480352035263527352835293530 3531353235333534354035803630 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rain Man 06:54 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I read about Springfield, MO diverting patients the other day (maybe in this thread), and the "my choice" stuff makes me wonder....

...in an otherwise black and white world (unvaccinated Covid patients wouldn't continue spreading Covid to other towns, and the lack of 'slippery slope' with hospitals being full of people who have made "my choice"), shouldn't Springfield area hospitals now be keeping so many ICU beds open and divert Covid patients? Should hospitals, with any future spikes, open new ICUs or stretch resources thin, etc; when they could just divert people who chose not to get vaccinated?

...and if given your choice to not be vaccinated, but you got Covid and needed an ICU visit, would you be okay with then driving 3+ hours to another hospital, or not receiving care at all?

I have family members who say "if Covid gets me, then I die", but then I wonder how far that attitude goes in terms of expecting health care and the chance to beat it. :-)

It was actually the Tour de France thread that got me thinking about it... instead of one person ruining it for everyone and doing something stupid like limiting access for fans, they're just suing the shit out of that one person.

Yeah, it's a choice that affects others, not just themselves. I'd prefer to lower my health insurance costs, and having a bunch of people voluntarily hospitalize themselves isn't the way to do it. This is why we don't have lawn darts any more.
[Reply]
TLO 07:26 PM 06-27-2021
I see where the WHO wants fully vaccinated people to keep masking.

No thanks.
[Reply]
TLO 07:35 PM 06-27-2021
Somewhere out there.. Pete feels a disturbance in this thread. :-)
[Reply]
TLO 07:46 PM 06-27-2021

Even after getting vaccinated against #COVID19, keep taking precautions to protect family and friends. pic.twitter.com/Z8GWj9bJBs

— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) June 25, 2021

[Reply]
Rain Man 07:51 PM 06-27-2021
I've developed some new habits to protect myself like washing my hands after handling things and not shaking hands when I can help it. I'll continue doing those to avoid all types of germs and that'll indirectly help others around me.

As to protecting my friends and family who don't mind getting covid, they're on their own at this point. They're doing nothing to protect others, so they must not mind if I cough on them.
[Reply]
wazu 08:01 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've developed some new habits to protect myself like washing my hands after handling things and not shaking hands when I can help it. I'll continue doing those to avoid all types of germs and that'll indirectly help others around me.

As to protecting my friends and family who don't mind getting covid, they're on their own at this point. They're doing nothing to protect others, so they must not mind if I cough on them.
Regarding your first paragraph, I have a different philosophy. Our immune systems are powerful, but need exercise. I wash my hands frequently but avoid hand sanitizer and shake hands, hug, etc. My belief is this possibly strengthens my immune system, but if it somehow has a negative effect I’ll at least go down without losing my physical connection to other human beings.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:23 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Regarding your first paragraph, I have a different philosophy. Our immune systems are powerful, but need exercise. I wash my hands frequently but avoid hand sanitizer and shake hands, hug, etc. My belief is this possibly strengthens my immune system, but if it somehow has a negative effect I’ll at least go down without losing my physical connection to other human beings.

I get the sentiment. It's not bad to get exposed to stuff that's harmless if that helps us against the harmful stuff. It's just hard to selectively do it.

As far as human contact, I really think I'd be a great candidate for a Mars mission. I'm perfectly content sitting in my house and having only the occasional video chat with others, even if it's on a 24-hour time lag due to the distance from the sun. Being the sole passenger on a freighter a few years ago will definitely go on my resume when they start hiring settlers.

I hadn't really thought about this before, but presumably when we settle Mars there'll be no contagious diseases, right? If you check people before they blast off from earth, measles and covid and diphtheria will never make the jump.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:30 PM 06-27-2021
I know the WHO/CDC were recommending masks for vaccinated people 6+ months ago because they needed shots in arms and were being extremely cautious.... these days I wonder if it's more about lessening drama when people go out.

Make themselves the bad people instead of some 16yo employee at Radio Shack or wherever people congregate these days telling people everyone has to wear a mask because they don't want to figure out who's been vaccinated. I haven't paid attention to variant talk or boosters, but I guess they could be worried about those types of things. :-)

The messaging has been horrible since the beginning though, so who knows.
[Reply]
wazu 08:33 PM 06-27-2021

I get the sentiment. It's not bad to get exposed to stuff that's harmless if that helps us against the harmful stuff or not. It's just hard to selectively do it.

As far as human contact, I really think I'd be a great candidate for a Mars mission. I'm perfectly content sitting in my house and having only the occasional video chat with others, even if it's on a 24-hour time lag due to the distance from the sun. Being the sole passenger on a freighter a few years ago will definitely go on my resume when they start hiring settlers.

I hadn't really thought about this before, but presumably when we settle Mars there'll be no contagious diseases, right? If you check people before they blast off from earth, measles and covid and diphtheria will never make the jump.
Probably right, but the catch is there are probably other nasty infectious bugs that our immune systems haven't even begun to prepare for yet. It could be like a reverse of the alien movies where the common cold saves mankind by wiping out the aliens.
[Reply]
KsBubba 08:37 PM 06-27-2021
I've worked in EMS 35+ plus years. Half my people vaccinated, half didn't. I am good with personal choice. Daily temps and masks when in close contact required. Only one employee I believe had Covid, he had it ONE MONTH BEFORE IT OFFICIALLY ARRIVED.

I have told everyone it would take 5 years before we would know whether or not taking the vaccine was a good thing. With the latest flare up, a 50 yo friend is on a vent and not well, I am moving toward the vaccine is less of the evils.

Keep a little distance and be smart.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:43 PM 06-27-2021
If you tell people they have to mask after making it a selling point to get the shot is to not mask anymore...you've basically ended what little trust people have on these "experts" opinion on the subject. It's dead, buried, gone. The WHO is fucking clueless to be honest and most people don't give a fuck what that worm Fauci thinks.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:58 PM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
I see where the WHO wants fully vaccinated people to keep masking.

No thanks.
I'll do it for a few minutes. But I hate wearing a mask for longer than 5 minutes.

Went to the Clippers / Suns game last night. The tickets said you absolutely must show proof of vaccination, which of course I forgot, and was having a meltdown mad at myself for being so stupid. Turns out they didn't check shit except the ticket.

You had to wear a mask going in and then everyone took it off. Packed house screaming and I bet less than 40% of that crowd was vaccinated. YOLO
[Reply]
O.city 07:14 AM 06-28-2021
https://twitter.com/rfsquared/status...234668038?s=21
[Reply]
Otter 07:23 AM 06-28-2021
Yeah, it's a choice that affects others, not just themselves. I'd prefer to lower my health insurance costs, and having a bunch of people voluntarily hospitalize themselves isn't the way to do it. This is why we don't have lawn darts any more.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...darts&_sacat=0
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:42 AM 06-28-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
There will ALWAYS be another excuse. The people who haven't gotten the vaccine yet simply aren't going to do it. There's no amount of data you can show them. There's no well reasoned discussion you can have with them. No full FDA approval. They've made up their minds and that's it.

It sucks, but it is what it is.
True but once the FDA fully approves it I imagine lots of companies will mandate it (not for altruistic motives but they want everyone to come back into the office). We already saw the courts rule in favor of the Houston hospital that enforced it so we should see more of this happening in the near future.
[Reply]
Page 3530 of 3903
« First < 2530303034303480352035263527352835293530 3531353235333534354035803630 > Last »
Up