ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2580 of 3903
« First < 1580208024802530257025762577257825792580 258125822583258425902630268030803580 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 10:26 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s tough.

But waiting until then and keeping them out has pretty massive consequences as well
You are right but again which side would be the safer one to pick if you were making the decision especially after what were are seeing in places that opened up earlier than was recommended. I am not against sending kids back to school but trying to think like somebody having to make that call.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:29 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
My mom is a molecular biologist. She is not a virologist nor is she any sort of immunology expert.

However, the way she broke it down to me in laymen terms is that the receptor to which this thing binds to invade cells is very short in kids and gets longer as we age. Hence, kids not really getting sick from this on a large scale.

The elderly have really long receptors and get ravaged by the virus. That compounded with pre-existing conditions and overall worse health makes this thing so deadly to the elderly.
some people get their big receptors a tdifferent times I assume
[Reply]
TLO 10:34 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Link doesn't work
[Reply]
RedRaider56 10:37 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Ebolapox:
I mean, how do you social distance in a bus? I teach in a rural district and most of the school (k-12) comes via bus. you think they're gonna wear their masks (if they're even required to wear them) on in the bus?
Yep. Big problem. I know that Austin, Texas is talking about putting only 12 kids on a bus, one per row basically. You can't do that in a rural area as you will never get all the kids to school on time, if at all
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:40 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s tough.

But waiting until then and keeping them out has pretty massive consequences as well
Closing schools for so long let the genie out of the bottle. It's going to be hard to put it back in as much as it should be. Just a few issues will blow up on social media and over reactions will follow.
[Reply]
loochy 10:50 AM 07-13-2020
I mean, how do you social distance in a bus? I teach in a rural district and most of the school (k-12) comes via bus. you think they're gonna wear their masks (if they're even required to wear them) on in the bus?
Open the MFing windows

Blow the shit out before they ingest enough to infect
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:05 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Open the MFing windows

Blow the shit out before they ingest enough to infect
How is that going to happen when it's 20 degrees outside?

Or zero?
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:06 AM 07-13-2020
we're ignoring how many teachers, lunch ladies, secretaries, etc (school staff) will randomly go down and be out for a few weeks at best. the district I teach in has major issues in NORMAL years getting substitutes, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like this year (the range of ages of our subs is 45-75).

there are so many facets to this and so many moving targets that I don't see how we don't quarantine AGAIN by the end of the first semester.

I have asked this a few times in this thread and no one has gave me answer, but what happens when the first Covid positive kid shows up in school? Will they have to quarantine the whole school etc?
[Reply]
loochy 11:08 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
How is that going to happen when it's 20 degrees outside?

Or zero?
Well, usually in a school bus, the windows have these little clips that one may squeeze in order to release the window mechanism.

Are we more afraid of a little chilly air that can be offset by jackets, hats, and fuzzy masks? Or are we more fearful of the super death virus that is coming for us all? C'mon man, we have to make sacrifices here.
[Reply]
loochy 11:15 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I have asked this a few times in this thread and no one has gave me answer, but what happens when the first Covid positive kid shows up in school? Will they have to quarantine the whole school etc?
There was one at my son's preschool back in late May.

They closed the school for 2 days, cleaned it, and they were back the next Monday. The classes and staff were already quarantined isolated and confined to their particular class so there was no cross-class contamination. The potentially infected individuals were notified and tested.

No new transmissions occurred.

The infection wasn't in his class though, so I don't know how long the infected class had to sit out.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 11:19 AM 07-13-2020
Hell if I know, I’m a teacher; they don’t tell us shit. I’m going to do in person teaching in fall bc bills to pay but the whole thing is f*cked
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:20 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
There was one at my son's preschool back in late May.

They closed the school for 2 days, cleaned it, and they were back the next Monday. The classes were already quarantined so there was no cross-class contamination. The potentially infected individuals were notified and tested.

No new transmissions occurred.

The infection wasn't in his class though, so I don't know how long the infected class had to sit out.

Thanks. That seems reasonable and possible.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:22 AM 07-13-2020
Hell if I know, I’m a teacher; they don’t tell us shit. I’m going to do in person teaching in fall bc bills to pay but the whole thing is fucked

Do they not pay or pay you less if you work virtually? That sucks man I feel for you and hope you stay safe.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:26 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Not the same overhead without students. No way. Lights aren't on, minimal heat/AC, waaay less water usage, no wear and tear and kids breaking shit. Sure, still have regular maintenance to do but make no mistake, they're saving some change.

I know better than to expect any tax money back. I don't have school age children so it's already money I'm not getting anything in return for. But if I did, I'd feel a whole lot different about it, because all the shit they're saving money on...is costing me now. If they don't open, they owe the parents an awful lot.
Oh yeah the lights are still on as there will be teachers, staff and maintenance workers there. The HVAC is controlled by a computer for humidity and mold control that will not change. Yes and no and on less water. During this shut down time maintenance people have been using this time to do things that they don't normally have the time to do like pressure washing, etc.
Like I said I work at a college. I have already been surprised at how many professors do not have internet where they live or not good enough to have classes online from their homes.

I have seen several mention their property taxes. I am curious do you all not use the Homestead act to get the taxes on your homes reduced by $350?
[Reply]
loochy 11:30 AM 07-13-2020
Thanks. That seems reasonable and possible.
Also, they got a temperature scan before they could enter the building and no parents were allowed inside.
[Reply]
Page 2580 of 3903
« First < 1580208024802530257025762577257825792580 258125822583258425902630268030803580 > Last »
Up