ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 35
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's talk about the Ravens.
Direckshun 12:34 AM 12-03-2018
The Ravens are a uniquely weird team in Week 14 of the NFL season.

They're weird because their QB position is a great unknown.

Joe Flacco is, of course, the world's most underwhelming Super Bowl MVP, and has sucked this year. We know who he is, we have millions of hours of underwhelming tape to depressingly watch. And he returned to practice this week, but did not play, Eric Berry style.

But that might change. He may see the field.

Which is interesting, because their backup QB, Lamar Jackson, a 1st round selection by the Ravens (albeit with the 32nd pick), is a very weird player. He runs, and runs, and runs with the ball. His completion percentage is a not-terrible 60%. And he's only played three weeks, so tape on him is slim.

We know this: he is fast, he is not afraid to run the ball, and he's a damn gazelle when he does.

The good news: we can probably spy him. His weapons are bleak. Alex Collins is his #1 RB, and he's averaging 3.6 yards a carry. His #1 receiver is John Brown, who initially looked like Tyreek Hill when he first hit the league, but has since statistically slowed down and is now just a good receiver with very difficult speed to account for. Michael Crabtree is their #2 alongside Willie Snead, and Tyreek Hill has more yardage than both of those guys combined, but Crabtree has had good games against us in the past.

As a result, the Ravens are still somehow 13th in the league in yardage, they are averaging 25 points a game.

The Ravens have good pass protection, as they've only given up like 25 sacks or something like that. Ronnie Stanley is their LT.

But really, the Ravens offense wins by trying to run the ball, passing decently, and then letting Lamar Jackson get creative.

As far as the defense is concerned.................. biggest test of the year right here folks.

#1 rated defense in yardage (they're allowing under 300 yards/game).
#1 rated defense in points (they're allowing 17 points/game).

I think it's safe to say we're going to beat those averages but they should still slow us down pretty significantly. I don't know if Patty will have another 4 TD game here.

The Ravens get good pressure on the QB -- they're 9th in the league in sacks, and the pressure comes from everywhere. Suggs has always played well against us but he only has 5.5 this year. They blitz a good amount.

Simply put, the Ravens pass defense will be the biggest challenge Mahomes faces all year. They're allowing under 200 yards passing all season. Eric Weddle is a goddamn general at the back of their defense, and they've got a solid corner or two despite the fact that none of their corners are true ballhawks. Brandon Carr will make a rare appearance against the Chiefs, which is whatever, but he's apparently playing well.

The Ravens have a mean defensive line, and maybe the meanest NT in the league in Brandon Williams. I'm willing to bet they drop everyone in coverage, smother Kelce, and dare Spencer Ware to beat their DL. That's a very tall order, and I don't think our run game is up to the challenge. Mahomes will need to tap every ounce of his MVP talent to get yardage.

In special teams, they have arguably the greatest kicker in modern NFL history in Justin Tucker. They've had one punt return for a TD.

They're 7-5. They're on a three game win streak. Lamar Jackson has started all three games.

Their wins: Bills, Broncos, @Steelers, @Titans, Bengals (no Dalton), Raiders, @Falcons
Losses: @Bengals (Dalton), @Browns, Saints, @Panthers, Steelers

That schedule is all over the place. They beat Pitt in Pitt, but pathetically lose to the Browns. The most damning game on the schedule is the Saints game, where they only lost by a point.

How is this team so good? I've asked before. They have no elite talent on offense and are still racking up yardage and point. They have a damn good defense but don't intercept the ball and they don't have any sack masters like the Chiefs do.

What is going on?
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 01:33 PM 12-03-2018
Patriots defense has been pretty awful the last 2 years, yet they managed to get to two Super Bowls and win one. Why? A good scheming coach and a guy named Brady.

Andy is a good schemer. And Pat Mahomes (while not playoff battle tested) is a better QB than Brady is right now.

If the Chiefs get home field advantage, this defense is good enough at home and has enough star players to make impact plays to do enough, coupled with Mahomes and the offense's elite ability.

Now, the Super Bowl (depending on who we would theoretically play) may be a different story, but get there and anything can happen.

So I'll take my chances with the team we have now and hopefully Veach goes defense heavy in the draft again to get better on that side of the ball, as well as a few under the radar FA signings.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:41 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
SMH

If you guys don't think a young man that has broken every team and NFL record he's face to date isn't going to overcome the small amount of things Alex Smith needed to overcome then I really don't know what to say. :-)
Well when the Chiefs go 13-3 with a top tier NFL Offense that can score at will, exceptional Special Teams and a bottom tier Defense and go one and done in the playoffs it will certainly be a first.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:43 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Well when the Chiefs go 13-3 with a top tier NFL Offense that can score at will, exceptional Special Teams and a bottom tier Defense and go one and done in the playoffs it will certainly be a first.
Stop being a pussy.

Can it happen? Sure. But to concede defeat when we have Mahomes, these weapons, and a great pass rush is soft as baby shit.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:46 PM 12-03-2018
SMH

If you guys don't think a young man that has broken every team and NFL record he's face to date isn't going to overcome the small amount of things Alex Smith needed to overcome then I really don't know what to say. :-)
He couldn't overcome it against the Patriots or Rams. 40 points and 51 points respectively. Wasn't enough.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 01:46 PM 12-03-2018
Special teams have not been exceptional. That's one of the potential problems. Penalties, too.
[Reply]
Shoes 01:48 PM 12-03-2018
Your question is irrelevant, which is why it's being ignored. When are you going to get that?

This team constantly has a gigantic, glaring flaw going into the playoffs and it's usually the same group of people that think "oh we can overcome this" and a month later CP bitches about the same shit for the following seven.

It's the same cycle year after year. It happens over and over and you ****ers line up to eat the same piece of cheese over and over again.
It's not the same piece of cheese at all, every single team has its warts and weaknesses. You can have the best team in the entire world and still lose on Sunday (16-0 Patriots anyone?). What it takes to win a Super Bowl is the perfect storm of preparation, execution, and some good luck.

Will the Chiefs get over the hump this year? I have no idea. Am I worried about the defense bleeding 40 points in the playoffs and our offense not being able to keep up- fuck ya. But if you think going into battle with Alex Smith is the same piece of cheese as going into a Sunday with Patrick Mahomes you are absolutely fucked and I can't help you.

Go Chiefs.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:48 PM 12-03-2018
So wtf do you want? You want Mahomes to play OLB, S and CB too?

Going into this season we knew the D was in rebuild mode. We, and the Chiefs, KNEW before the season started that the offense would have to carry this team. Nothing here is unexpected.

The D is a work in progress. That's what happens when your star defensive players begin to age and the roster gets turned over.

So far, so good. Will we lose in the playoffs? Maybe. But we have just as good a shot as anyone in the league.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:48 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Stop being a pussy.

Can it happen? Sure. But to concede defeat when we have Mahomes, these weapons, and a great pass rush is soft as baby shit.
This franchise has championed ways of losing in the playoffs in a spectacularly embarrassing fashion.

If there is ANY franchise that would **** up a generational QB in the playoffs, it’s the mother****ing Chiefs.

I can see exactly where he is coming from with his take.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:50 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Special teams have not been exceptional. That's one of the potential problems. Penalties, too.
The penalties are by far the biggest problem and it's not close.

Our D wouldn't look nearly as bad or give up as many points if they could stop extending drives via penalty.

IDK how many 1st downs we've given up via penalty but i'm sure we're top 5 in that category.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:50 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
So wtf do you want? You want Mahomes to play OLB, S and CB too?

Going into this season we knew the D was in rebuild mode. We, and the Chiefs, KNEW before the season started that the offense would have to carry this team. Nothing here is unexpected.

The D is a work in progress. That's what happens when your star defensive players begin to age and the roster gets turned over.

So far, so good. Will we lose in the playoffs? Maybe. But we have just as good a shot as anyone in the league.
Jesus christ dude, you're off in the woods now.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:54 PM 12-03-2018
Jesus christ dude, you're off in the woods now.
:-)

How do you figure? Were you unaware of the rebuild in progress? Wow how quickly we forget things.

Two new starting corners, new starters at ILB, new NT and a massive youth movement on the backend of the roster.

Moving on from Hali, DJ, Peters and an attempt to move on from Parker.....
[Reply]
RunKC 01:57 PM 12-03-2018
SMH

I think you are right. I believe Mahomes can carry us.

But as we’ve discussed many times, the decades of “because Chiefs” bullshit is fucking us up in the head.

It would be just like the Chiefs to get the 1 seed and fuck it up with Patrick Mahomes.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:57 PM 12-03-2018
:-)

How do you figure? Were you unaware of the rebuild in progress? Wow how quickly we forget things.

Two new starting corners, new starters at ILB, new NT and a massive youth movement on the backend of the roster.

Moving on from Hali, DJ, Peters and an attempt to move on from Parker.....
Is this in relation to Bob Sutton is a fucking moron? Because he is.
[Reply]
Tonka83 02:06 PM 12-03-2018
The penalties are by far the biggest problem and it's not close.

Our D wouldn't look nearly as bad or give up as many points if they could stop extending drives via penalty.

IDK how many 1st downs we've given up via penalty but i'm sure we're top 5 in that category.

Penalties and tackling. I can't remember ever seeing a NFL team that had so many missed tackles every single game.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:15 PM 12-03-2018
Patrick Mahomes, in his first year starting, is having a year only 2 other QBs in the history of the NFL have had.

Let's not sit here and pretend it's all subjective when it isn't.
You have to figure Mahomes is on pace to throw more than 1.5 TD per game more than any other Chiefs QB in history.

One would have to assume this would translate in the playoffs and with that extra 10pts a game we win every recent playoff game we lost.

I know it doesn't exactly work that way but it is a way to try to quantify the Mahomes effect.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 35
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up