ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 153 of 202
« First < 53103143149150151152153 154155156157163 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 03:42 AM 11-21-2018
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Does anyone really think he is going to suit up this season? I mean, really?
**Raises Hand** :-)
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 03:54 AM 11-21-2018
Never shit where you eat.
[Reply]
TEX 08:00 AM 11-21-2018
Does anyone really think he is going to suit up this season? I mean, really?
Nope.
[Reply]
Flying High D 08:06 AM 11-21-2018
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
I'm getting genuinely worried when fans start wringing hands over the cutting of an unexceptional player like Scandrick and then try to debate that he is much more than a roster spot.

Have you forgotten how much better and more effective Reid's defense was a mere 4 years ago? You've certainly forgotten the kinds of back breaking, soul-demolishing defenses this franchise has fielded long before Reid arrived.

Is this really the kind of mediocre trash you want to field in the name of conveniently and falsely running about, spouting verbal diarrhea about how "this is an offense league and defense is a success measured only in single digit percentages"?

Are some any of you not completely fucking retarded?
FYP
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:40 PM 11-21-2018
I'm getting genuinely worried when fans start wringing hands over the cutting of an unexceptional player like Scandrick and then try to debate that he is much more than a roster spot.

Have you forgotten how much better and more effective Reid's defense was a mere 4 years ago? You've certainly forgotten the kinds of back breaking, soul-demolishing defenses this franchise has fielded long before Reid arrived.

Is this really the kind of mediocre trash you want to field in the name of conveniently and falsely running about, spouting verbal diarrhea about how "this is an offense league and defense is a success measured only in single digit percentages"?

Are some of you completely fucking retarded?
:-) Eric Haglund's awesomeness from previous years doesn't amount to even one tackle this year! The ghost of Eric doesn't scare opposing teams, nor does the crippled Eric standing on the sideline looking like a fucking homeless hobo!
[Reply]
Randallflagg 05:46 PM 11-21-2018
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
**Raises Hand** :-)

Well, OK.....but he'd better hurry up..... :-)
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:27 PM 11-27-2018
So how y'all boys doing on this eve, the eve of Berry's return?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:35 PM 11-27-2018
Well, OK.....but he'd better hurry up..... :-)
We drafted a QB who talent-wise looks like Jesus Christ himself. You need to open yourself up to the possibility of hope and optimism and the power of Mahomes to will Berry to rise from the death of Haglund’s.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:42 PM 11-27-2018
Word on the street is his deformity un-deformed.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:20 PM 11-27-2018
I'm glad Berry appears to have started seeing things my way...
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 05:21 PM 11-27-2018
And all the people tried to touch him, for power radiated from him and healed them all." Mahomes 6:19
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 05:49 PM 11-27-2018
So Berry is back? He would be the first ever to rebound from the dreaded Larry Hagmans disease, even Jeannie never recovered.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:59 PM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'm glad Berry appears to have started seeing things my way...
Indeed. I would hope you begin to see some compensation in your mailbox each Sunday from Berry's weekly check; consultants fees do not come cheap!

Anywho, time to suit up, put up, or shut up.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 07:27 PM 11-27-2018
Indeed. I would hope you begin to see some compensation in your mailbox each Sunday from Berry's weekly check; consultants fees do not come cheap!

Anywho, time to suit up, put up, or shut up.
Is it? Next week won't do?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:03 PM 11-27-2018
While glory and okchiefs call in with a tummy ache
[Reply]
Page 153 of 202
« First < 53103143149150151152153 154155156157163 > Last »
Up