Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:10 PM 12-05-2018
Saxon over on the Athletic
The Cardinals just got back in the World Series mix with acquisition of Paul Goldschmidt https://theathletic.com/696899/2018/...l-goldschmidt/
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:10 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
maybe he is right just this once.

Ya don't fucking say?

Oh wait, that's exactly what I said. And i'm not even on the beat. I've just paid attention to this team for a decade.

It's amazing how many people convince themselves that it'll be different this time.

"Your 2019 St. Louis Cardinals: Older, more expensive and still the third best team in the division. But powder blues! Get your tickets now!"
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:15 PM 12-05-2018
Saxon over on the Athletic thinks the Cardinals put them self’s back in the World Series mix.
Then Saxon is wrong.

Its substantially more likely that they'll miss the playoffs than win the pennant.

This isn't even a team that's attempting to win the division and DeWitt admitted this morning when he said their goal is to average 90 wins over any 5 season stretch and the last three years have done nothing to heighten urgency.

When someone tries to tell you who they are - listen.

Goldschmidt sells [X] tickets. Harper sells [X]*1.2 tickets but costs twice as much. To the snake oil salesman of an owner, the answer is obvious.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:25 PM 12-05-2018
What’s better?

Opening Day starting line up 2018
Fowler RF
Pham CF
Carpenter 3B
Ozuna LF
Martinez 1B
Molina C
Dejong SS
Wong 2B
Pitcher

Carp
Bader
Goldy
Ozuna
Dejong
Molina
Fowler/O’Neill
Wong
Pitcher
Saxons lineup over at the Athletic

Matt Carpenter 3B
Jose Martinez/Dexter Fowler RF
Paul Goldschmidt 1B
Marcell Ozuna LF
Paul DeJong SS
Harrison Bader CF
Yadier Molina C
Kolten Wong 2B
Pitcher
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:43 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Might have some competition for that there Arenado fella.

Rumblings I've read from Cubs writers is that the team might be inactive in the Harper sweepstakes not only because of financial reasons but also because internally they like moving Bryant to the OF and Arenado at 3rd more than Harper.
Competition?

Fuck that - dollar bill is out.

Once other teams actually attended the winter meetings and the possibility they'd forget and Harper would accept the minimum evaporated, DeWitt went with the cheaper option.

Because he'll sell 3.5 million tickets again.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:10 PM 12-05-2018
Carps on board

Paul Goldschmidt! Ummm Yes please! ���� ���� let’s do this!!#ChristmasMiracle #cardinalnation

— Matt Carpenter (@MattCarp13) December 5, 2018

[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:53 AM 12-06-2018
Sell those tickets!!! Fire that fucking clown
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:00 AM 12-06-2018
Every article, blog etc. I've read or seen since this trade says the Cardinals stole Goldy from Arizona. Trade was very lopsided favoring the Cardinals. And I agree.

We are always hanging on to our prospects until their value is practically nill. Kelly is a good example. As soon as they thought Kinzer was going to work out, he should have been traded. That said.......

If this is it for their moves to improve the offense, save me a seat on the fire Mo bandwagon.
[Reply]
Marco Polo 08:06 AM 12-06-2018
Every article, blog etc. I've read or seen since this trade says the Cardinals stole Goldy from Arizona. Trade was very lopsided favoring the Cardinals. And I agree.

We are always hanging on to our prospects until their value is practically nill. Kelly is a good example. As soon as they thought Kinzer was going to work out, he should have been traded. That said.......

If this is it for their moves to improve the offense, save me a seat on the fire Mo bandwagon.
Agree with everything you said. We haven't heard it from Mo directly but it sounds like all they are looking for now is a LH bat off the bench and bullpen help. If this is true, it's not enough. He let the roster get this bad. It takes multiple moves to fix it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:13 AM 12-06-2018

Does replacing matt adams count?

Fowler is your opening day right fielder.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:24 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Does replacing matt adams count?
:-)

Fowler is your opening day right fielder.
[Reply]
VAChief 09:28 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
Agree with everything you said. We haven't heard it from Mo directly but it sounds like all they are looking for now is a LH bat off the bench and bullpen help. If this is true, it's not enough. He let the roster get this bad. It takes multiple moves to fix it.
Yes, it means being honest about what you have. He already has a left-handed bat off the bench...his name is Dexter Fowler. The problem is they will want to try him again as a starter because they are paying him like a starter.

Similarly you need to decide who your utility guy is going to be Gyorko or Munoz. My bet is they will go with Munoz because in their minds he can also play the outfield. Then there is Martinez, who really is just a right-handed bat off the bench. If we are sticking him anywhere in the field as a starter then we suck.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:41 AM 12-06-2018
You laugh - that's all that's happening, my friend.

Read this article and tell me I'm wrong. Bill DeWitt has flat out stated that they're not pursuing excellence - it's just not their business model.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...dc21b00b8.html

Originally Posted by :
“Playoffs are our goal,” the chairman said. “My goal is to win enough games to make the playoffs, whatever that number happens to be. Hopefully beyond that so that it’s not a one-game wild-card appearance. I do expect change to the roster.
Originally Posted by :
“There is value in star players. No question about it,” DeWitt said, declining to speak specifically about any one player. “I think the question has to be, ‘What is the value?’ You can’t fall in love with some name player at the expense of making a bad decision which is going to hurt you down the road. We’ll wade in and determine who would be a good fit to improve our club.
Originally Posted by :
DeWitt explained the model he wants is a team that, over multiple years, can average 90 wins. That, he said, assures a playoff berth, and “frankly, we felt that incremental benefit (of free agents) could get us those last few wins.”
BRC - this is an organization that ADMITS it's targeting 90 wins and 'hopes' that's enough to avoid a play-in game. Their entire approach is centered around winning a down division. He flat out states they plan to win 90 and hope to win more.

Bill DeWitt doesn't have the drive to excel in a division where other teams actually give a shit now.

They aren't doing anything else. This is it. This gets them near 90, it sells tickets, it doesn't take any long-term giant risks. It's right in DeWitt's wheelhouse and anything else takes them out of their comfort level. I'm betting they don't even take a meeting with Boras unless it's Boras trying to foist another shitty reliever on us.

Give me anything this organization has done since LaRussa left to show me I'm wrong. LaRussa was the engine that drove the franchise; the guy that flat shamed them into competing and taking risks. They have nothing like that here anymore and DeWitt has laid his cards on the table.

They're done man.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:14 AM 12-06-2018
You laugh - that's all that's happening, my friend.

Read this article and tell me I'm wrong. Bill DeWitt has flat out stated that they're not pursuing excellence - it's just not their business model.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...dc21b00b8.html

BRC - this is an organization that ADMITS it's targeting 90 wins and 'hopes' that's enough to avoid a play-in game. Their entire approach is centered around winning a down division. He flat out states they plan to win 90 and hope to win more.

Bill DeWitt doesn't have the drive to excel in a division where other teams actually give a shit now.

They aren't doing anything else. This is it. This gets them near 90, it sells tickets, it doesn't take any long-term giant risks. It's right in DeWitt's wheelhouse and anything else takes them out of their comfort level. I'm betting they don't even take a meeting with Boras unless it's Boras trying to foist another shitty reliever on us.

Give me anything this organization has done since LaRussa left to show me I'm wrong. LaRussa was the engine that drove the franchise; the guy that flat shamed them into competing and taking risks. They have nothing like that here anymore and DeWitt has laid his cards on the table.

They're done man.
And I'm not telling you that you are wrong about Dewitt or his approach. I'm old enough to remember Carlton sent packing over a few thousand. Harry Carey sent off due to pick your rumor. Curt Flood etc. But, that same owner also bought the hotel in St. Pete they used for spring training because it didn't allow black and white players to stay in the same hotel. Owners are a fickle bunch.

But, you are the only person I've heard anywhere on the internet or boards that doesn't like this trade. EVERYONE. Doesnt that concern you on your position?

Almost everyone also says they shouldnt be done getting more offensive talent and that doesn't mean a bench player. If so, I'm joining you on the bandwagon.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:17 AM 12-06-2018
Almost everyone also says they shouldnt be done getting more offensive talent and that doesn't mean a bench player. If so, I'm joining you on the bandwagon.
There's a fire sale going on in Seattle and they have an outfielder named Mitch Haniger with a possibility of needing a new DH, but I dont want to put any ideas in Cardinals heads.

Would probably have to give up someone like Flaherty in the deal to even grab a seat at the table, however.
[Reply]
Page 282 of 301
« First < 182232272278279280281282 283284285286292 > Last »
Up