Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:59 PM 06-09-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Considering that he hasn't really made pitching a priority in the draft/minors I think he's doing a pretty good job.
thats fair. With the caveat that the Cubs picked in the top 5 for a lot of recent years. It’s a lot easier to find talent there than the 26th pick where we usually are.

You have to give props to Mo for developing pitching talent in the minor leagues that help the majors at some point.

On the flip side, Mo ain’t done shit with offensive players. And Theo has done well with the offense.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:08 PM 06-09-2018
We should just play the Reds every game for the rest of the year.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:18 PM 06-09-2018
Originally Posted by BDj23:
We should just play the Reds every game for the rest of the year.
besides the Reds we are 5/9 against the bottom feeders. We win 2/3 against the Royals/Twins instead of losing we are in first place.

We are not out of the race for the playoffs but l think for most fans it isn’t just making the playoffs but actually winning in the playoffs that matters. This team so far, ain’t doing shit in the playoffs.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:28 PM 06-09-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
besides the Reds we are 5/9 against the bottom feeders. We win 2/3 against the Royals/Twins instead of losing we are in first place.

We are not out of the race for the playoffs but l think for most fans it isn’t just making the playoffs but actually winning in the playoffs that matters. This team so far, ain’t doing shit in the playoffs.
I agree with you 100%
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:37 PM 06-09-2018
Fowler just pisses me off now. I’ve heard on several podcasts now that he is refusing to do anything but what he’s always done to get out of slumps.

The Cardinals showed him film where he was late getting the foot down and that was making him late with his swing. Same thing with Ozuna. He changed to get his foot down earlier and he was back on track. They went back to Fowler and showed him the difference between last years and this years film. Told him Ozuna had the same issue, showed him. The Cardinals even had Ozuna talk to him and tell Fowler, yeah this is what worked for me.

He still hasnt changed a damn thing. 1/3 of the season gone. This isn’t a slump. He refuses to change anything and they keep running him out there like he’s hitting .285. He needs to ride the pine until he does something different.

We got an additional $50 million this year from mlb. Spend that money and give it to someone who would accept Fowler in a trade. He doesn’t want to be traded. Sit him on the bench till he gets an attitude adjustment.
[Reply]
jd1020 06:24 PM 06-09-2018
thats fair. With the caveat that the Cubs picked in the top 5 for a lot of recent years. It’s a lot easier to find talent there than the 26th pick where we usually are.

You have to give props to Mo for developing pitching talent in the minor leagues that help the majors at some point.

On the flip side, Mo ain’t done shit with offensive players. And Theo has done well with the offense.
Fortunately for the Cardinals they have been benefiting from competitive balance picks while being a top 7 or so revenue organization.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:35 PM 06-09-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Considering that he hasn't really made pitching a priority in the draft/minors I think he's doing a pretty good job.
He's never been able to do it. He always ends up trading for an expensive veteran, or trashing his office after failing to sign Jose Contreras.
[Reply]
VAChief 07:46 AM 06-10-2018
Fowler just pisses me off now. I’ve heard on several podcasts now that he is refusing to do anything but what he’s always done to get out of slumps.

The Cardinals showed him film where he was late getting the foot down and that was making him late with his swing. Same thing with Ozuna. He changed to get his foot down earlier and he was back on track. They went back to Fowler and showed him the difference between last years and this years film. Told him Ozuna had the same issue, showed him. The Cardinals even had Ozuna talk to him and tell Fowler, yeah this is what worked for me.

He still hasnt changed a damn thing. 1/3 of the season gone. This isn’t a slump. He refuses to change anything and they keep running him out there like he’s hitting .285. He needs to ride the pine until he does something different.

We got an additional $50 million this year from mlb. Spend that money and give it to someone who would accept Fowler in a trade. He doesn’t want to be traded. Sit him on the bench till he gets an attitude adjustment.
Our best offensive/defensive lineup does not include Fowler. I would rather have Martinez in right field (smaller sample size, but statistically no worse than Dexter), Jedd at 3B who is a plus defender there, Wong at 2B, also a plus defender, and Carpenter at 1b where he is a plus defender.

Our outfield would be below average at the corners (mainly due to Ozuna’s arm, that looks like it is duct-taped on now), but overall we are better off. Martinez at first, Carpenter at 2B, should be emergency situations.
[Reply]
bdj23 08:33 AM 06-10-2018
I'm for doing anything to get fowler off the feild. Dude sucks.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:25 PM 06-10-2018
Thus home plate umpire today sucks really bad. It’s bad for both teams. Pitches in the same location are a strike or ball depending on his whim l guess.
[Reply]
bdj23 12:37 PM 06-10-2018
Thus home plate umpire today sucks really bad. It’s bad for both teams. Pitches in the same location are a strike or ball depending on his whim l guess.
Trying to watch on my phone in the middle of nowhere western ks and was thinking the same thing. I almost got pissed and turned it off after that Ozuna/Martinez close to debacle.
[Reply]
kcpasco 12:50 PM 06-10-2018
I hope this ump gets hit by a bus.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 01:02 PM 06-10-2018
Ump issues aside, Martinez doesn’t look right yet. Seems like he was rushed back.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:38 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Ump issues aside, Martinez doesn’t look right yet. Seems like he was rushed back.
I agree. Doesn’t look right at all.

Martinez had that strikeout for the 3rd out. It wasn’t even close or borderline. They scored 3 runs after that missed call.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:33 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
I agree. Doesn’t look right at all.

Martinez had that strikeout for the 3rd out. It wasn’t even close or borderline. They scored 3 runs after that missed call.
You guys are literally describing every Cardinal injury over the last 20 years. It's an organizational failure that needs to be seriously re-evaluated.

Regarding Martinez, the same thing happened to Mayers in the 8th yesterday. Umps were shit in this series.
[Reply]
Page 102 of 301
« First < 252929899100101102 103104105106112152202 > Last »
Up